Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADK TLs > UA-5: W or T mod?  (Read 5994 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
ADK TLs > UA-5: W or T mod?
« on: January 16, 2007, 12:20:10 AM »
Hey all. So I've run TLs > UA-5 for awhile now, and REALLY miss low end! Haha. coming from runing 391/3s, the low end of the adks pales in comparison. I've listened to a bunch of tapes and like both the T & W mods, but I feel that the W-mod may have too much bass. Though, the only tapes I've really been able to find are small club tapes. Haven't really heard any outdoor or large theater/arena tapes... I've been emailing back and forth with Doug Oade, and he seems to think the W-mod is the way to go. So anyone that has experience, I'm wondering if the T-mod will give me the bass I am looking for? Is the W-mod too much bass? Anyone that has opinions, I'd love to hear them. 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: ADK TLs > UA-5: W or T mod?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:29:48 AM »
I've not used the TLs, but I can tell you the T-mod is a little light in the bass (which I liked with my meaty 414s), but has -fantastic- transient detail.  The W-mod doesn't have quite the same transient detail, but has more robust - but not overwhelming - bass.  Ultimately, you won't know until you try it, but I'd go with the W-mod if you want a little low-end oomph.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:06:02 AM »
i didnt run my TL's with the mod ua5, but i used a Oade warm mod firewire 410. i loved the combo. i have some recordings from the section at Alpine Valley if youd like to hear them TL > warm mod 410 > Laptop @ 24/48

i would definantly get the warm mod for the TL's

Offline Swampy

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 01:21:45 AM »
i didnt run my TL's with the mod ua5, but i used a Oade warm mod firewire 410. i loved the combo. i have some recordings from the section at Alpine Valley if youd like to hear them TL > warm mod 410 > Laptop @ 24/48

i would definantly get the warm mod for the TL's
Ya, I would. Could ya do a B&P?

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 01:25:30 AM »
I've been running TL's into my busman mod UA-5 for about a year and have no complaints. There has been a couple listed for way less than what they are worth in the YS in the past week if you want to go a cheap route.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 01:39:13 AM »
Ya, I would. Could ya do a B&P?

just pm me your addy ;)

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 01:47:52 AM »
I've not used the TLs, but I can tell you the T-mod is a little light in the bass (which I liked with my meaty 414s), but has -fantastic- transient detail.  The W-mod doesn't have quite the same transient detail, but has more robust - but not overwhelming - bass.  Ultimately, you won't know until you try it, but I'd go with the W-mod if you want a little low-end oomph.

I own both the W+ and T+ mod and what Brian says is exactly true, tho I did not run LDs with my mod UA-5s.  This is comming from my experience with AK40>LC3KA>KM100>mod UA-5 onstage.  The amount of detail with the W+ mod was suprising at 24bit.  The T+ is definitely snappier over all and thinner in the lo-mids to low end.

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 09:58:41 AM »
T mod

ran TL>Tmod for awhile and miss that rig badly
?>FR2LE

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 10:33:41 AM »
IMO the T mod is a better match for LD mics.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 10:37:46 AM »

I agree, the transient detail of the T-mod is a great match for LD mics.  But Alex is asking specifically about bass response, and IME the T-mod lacks it.  Not in a huge way, mind you, it's just a little light in the low end relative to the W-mod.  The W-mod, on the other hand, has less transient detail, but better mid-range detail and low-end oomph.  Hence, for the sound Alex is seeking, I think the W-mod's a better match.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 10:55:48 AM »

I agree, the transient detail of the T-mod is a great match for LD mics.  But Alex is asking specifically about bass response, and IME the T-mod lacks it.  Not in a huge way, mind you, it's just a little light in the low end relative to the W-mod.  The W-mod, on the other hand, has less transient detail, but better mid-range detail and low-end oomph.  Hence, for the sound Alex is seeking, I think the W-mod's a better match.
I read his post to mean that he wasn't happy with the low end of the TLs, not that there wasn't enough low end. IMO the T mod really helps to clean up the low end of LD mics, which can be a little sloppy for concert PA taping. He also mentioned that after listening to some tapes he is afraid the W mod may have to much low end. I'm afraid that what he may be hearing is the w mod actually accentuating the properties of the TL he doesn't care for.

Alex what exactly are you after? what about the low end of the TLs do you really not care for? is there not enough of it? is it lacking some characteristic you desire? is it sloppy or loose sounding?

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 11:33:06 AM »
If you're interested in hearing a bunch of TL>wmod recordings, Pete here on the CO Crew runs that rig.  He's got a lot of shows up on the archive including a bunch from Wakarusa and 10kLF outdoors.  Here's a Phil and friends show from 10kLF:

http://www.archive.org/details/phil2006-07-21

Do a search on "Coffan" in the Archive, and you come up with a whole slew of TL>wmod shows.

FWIW, I agree that most LD mics can have a large (and a bit unfocused) bass response for PA taping, probably due to the slowness/inertia of the larger diaphragm.  But I don't think TLs fit into this category of typical LD mics -- just don't have those same characteristics.  I like the TL>wmod sound alot, didn't care too much for the TL>pmod shows I've heard, and I haven't heard enough TL>Tmod sources to comment.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 11:33:51 AM »
I love my WMod+.

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »
I'd go with the T Mod.  I ran TL's> W Mod for awhile, but at that time Doug was only offering the W and P mods, no T yet.  I tried the P and it was too bright for my tastes and seemed to kill that fat warm LD sound.  My only complaint with the W was that the bass wasn't quite as tight as I liked and I would have preferred increased transient detail and dynamics.  These are improvements that the T mod has over the W, thus why I would recommend the T.

There are a bunch of TL> Wmod and Tmod recordings on Archive.  I've liked what I've heard from the T+mod.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Swampy

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 03:55:35 PM »
Alex what exactly are you after? what about the low end of the TLs do you really not care for? is there not enough of it? is it lacking some characteristic you desire? is it sloppy or loose sounding?
I don't like the TLs LACK of bass, not sloppy or anything. But my concern is that The T mod will not be no much more bass than the straight digimod, and that the W mod will be too much sloppy bass...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com