Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any DVR gurus around...  (Read 10460 times)

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Any DVR gurus around...
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:03:49 AM »
I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 DVR issued by Comcast.  I use it mostly for my daughters favorite shows and a few shows my wife and I like to watch.  I want to pull data off it and back it up to DVD to free Hard Drive space on the DVR. Is this possible.  It seems every time I ask someone I get a different answer.  I googled it but couldn't sift through all the sites to come up with an answer. I run a Mac Mini running 10.5.4.

Help!~
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Any DVR gurus around...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »
I pull off both the SD and HD material from my newer Motorola box (DCH-3416) but I am using a PC.  I think the fact that you are using an older set top box AND a Mac might be 2 strikes.  The box's connections will depend on the configuration that your provider has set. 

I would suggest reading threads over on the SVS forums and see if there is Mac info there.

Good Luck!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=386740&highlight=apple+scientific+atlanta+8300

Edit top add AVS link
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:50:53 AM by DarkStarJedi »

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:53:17 AM »
+T heading over there now.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

kskreider

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:56:36 AM »
If you can get it to work you will be a happy as heck.  Mine records real-time using CapVHS but I can do both SD and HD and when we had it, I was recording HD HBO without encryption.  I use HDTV2MPEG to break open the TS files and us VideoReDo to edit out commercials and set chapters/menus.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
I have the same DVR thru Time Warner cable (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR).

I've never been able to copy files off of it as data as I believe you want to do. The only thing I can do is connect a standalone dvd burner to it and use the A/V outs to record the recorded programs in realtime before I run out of DVR disc space and lose them.

There's alot of good info, mostly about the limitations of this POS in this thread:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/288411

kskreider

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »
Keep in mind that you can always call your provider and ask them if they have un upgraded set top box.  Our provider here in San Jose uses 2 or 3 different models based on what you are subscribed to.

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:34:48 PM »
wow, this morning I have learned that my DVR sucks balls, and that i hate my cable provider...  and to think I was happy yesterday.  Ignorance is bliss.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 12:54:20 PM »
wow, this morning I have learned that my DVR sucks balls, and that i hate my cable provider...  and to think I was happy yesterday.  Ignorance is bliss.

Welcome to Time Warner...

T
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com