Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrade bug from w-mod UA-5  (Read 9721 times)

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
Upgrade bug from w-mod UA-5
« on: October 01, 2003, 05:49:17 PM »
Hey now,
I've been running a pair of mod Nak700's into my Oade wmod UA-5 with pretty nice results considering the cost of the UA-5 and its mod upgrade. I'm pretty happy with the sound I have been pulling but really dislike the touchy mic gain pots on the UA-5!! They can be tricky to get the 700's balanced just using my D8's level meters (and these Nak700's have had the FET's matched by Steven Sank).

If I use my headphones with my Airhead headphone amp I can dial it in very nicely. However I'm not always thrilled to carry a bunch of gear with me at eveyshow. (just like the stand & my Nova 4 bag).

I'm looking for feedback - if anyone thinks its worth saving up for an upgrade (thinking of an V3 over the MMe) and dump my mod UA-5. I don't want to sell my beloved 700's since I have been drawn to that particular sound the 700's have. I have owned several pairs of Nak mics and still have a pair of 300's with all the caps, but the 700's are a much nicer sounding mic!!

A fellow taper in TX (Matt Hiles) runs the 700's into a MMe and sometimes puts his Nak MX-100 infront of the MMe with very nice results.  I also do this often with my UA-5 (MX-100 into mic in of the UA-5) and balance out my levels using the MX-100. It would be nice to just run a HQ all in one unit such as the V3 and dump some of this gear (the MX-100 is a brick and very heavy).

Even though the MMe is more available on the used market, the footprint on it is too large for my LoePro Nova 4 bag and I don't want to replace my bag (love that sucker). The V3 will slide in very nicely and will run off the same voltage as my D8.

Is it worth spending $1400+ on a V3, or should I stick with my mod UA-5 for now? I also thought picking up a SBM-1 & have the line-in mod and 24bit mod done as another option that would not only free up more space but also is much cheaper. Is the V3 gonna do that much for my Nak700's that the SBM-1 or UA-5 will not??

Since I plan to keep my mics, what would some of you suggest?? I know this is a very subjective question,  but I just can't help catching the upgrade bug!!

Thanks folks

Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re:Upgrade bug from w-mod UA-5
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 08:11:46 PM »
go team grace..thats eventually where ill end up w/ my 480's....... ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 10:02:55 PM »
if you do sell the ua-5 .... i want it!!!!

but if you like the sound of your mics .. then the V3 seems to be the way to go
:devilrock:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 10:04:54 PM by InfiniteOhms »
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

cpclark

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 11:06:24 PM »

i think many people share this as there future rig, i think in the next couple of years, unless something new and spectacular comes from apogee, grace will rule the market with the v3 and im sure they'll come out with a 4 sometime

Tim

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 01:37:14 AM »

I like the sound of my mics and of my apogee...

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 07:22:47 AM »

I thought Guest posting was turned off?No biggie just was suprised to see a guest was able to post.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 10:01:19 AM »

i think many people share this as there future rig, i think in the next couple of years, unless something new and spectacular comes from apogee, grace will rule the market with the v3 and im sure they'll come out with a 4 sometime

new and spectacular from Apogee...do you mean the mini-mp stand alone pre? ;D, seems like a step backwards....

It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 10:24:55 AM »

i think many people share this as there future rig

That seems really weird to me....I find 460's/480's to be extremely thin sounding with the V2/3. YMMV!
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 10:40:36 AM »

i think many people share this as there future rig

That seems really weird to me....I find 460's/480's to be extremely thin sounding with the V2/3. YMMV!

well, since the V3 is super transparent, that must mean the 460's/480's are thin sounding mics, V3 just pulls what the mics hears, but I have heard many conflicting opinions on the AKG mics and a V3
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 11:56:29 AM »
I'm looking for feedback - if anyone thinks its worth saving up for an upgrade (thinking of an V3 over the MMe) and dump my mod UA-5.

Well, i actually have a copy of some Nak 700s>v3 from WSP 6-27-03 from Marc Nutter.  They turned out great IMO.  If you would like a copy of it email me off list and we can get it worked out

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Jason B

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2003, 09:07:37 PM »

Ditto...

-JB
« Last Edit: October 05, 2003, 09:08:35 PM by Jason B »

cpclark

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2003, 10:23:57 PM »

new and spectacular from Apogee...do you mean the mini-mp stand alone pre? ;D, seems like a step backwards....

didnt necessarily mean just a pre, a new version of the mini-me that is more ergonomic and better than what the mini-me is right now, and we wont know if the mini-mp is either shit or one of best pre's on the market til it comes out, everything else you can say about that box is hearsay until it is actually relased and beta-tested

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2003, 10:25:03 PM »
seems to be a lot of shit-talking on the apogee round these parts...
My Attitude Sucks

cpclark

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2003, 10:32:20 PM »
there has always been heated discusions of apogee vs. grace on this board, and they wont die  anytime soon
fyi- i like both boxes for what they can do for you, its all about personal opinion on what kind of sound you like

DaryanLenz

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2003, 01:54:22 PM »
I wouldn't call it heated...maybe call it friendly debate.  You will notice that most people that stand by one product or the other, again in not all cases, own that particular unit!

Daryan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com