Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is on your Reference Disc ?  (Read 7945 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: What is on your Reference Disc ?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 12:30:32 PM »
What?  no Flim and the BB's?

Matt

Flim and the BB's were among the first jazz artists to release a compact disc. Not reference quality stuff however.

I worked as a salesman for medium-end a/v equiptment in the 80's when cd's were first starting to get mainstream.  The big thing in thoes days was a designation on the disk that was ADA, AAD or DDD, which if I remember right was recorded in - mastered in - and the final format as the last letter.  Flim and the BB's were among the first to be produced as DDD or direct to digital cd's.  Flim and the BB's were on the "recomended demo list" for speaker manufacture's like Advent, and Cerwin Vega.  Not highend stuff and certainly not referance material by current audiophile standards I'm sure.  More than anything else I wondered if anyone remembered them.

Matt

I remember :)

Back in those days, I made a decision to buy the Klipcsh Heresy's rather that the Advents. Now, looking back the Advents would have been the better choice. I was into high efficiency and loud rock back then...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 01:52:58 PM »
What?  no Flim and the BB's?

Matt

Flim and the BB's were among the first jazz artists to release a compact disc. Not reference quality stuff however.

I worked as a salesman for medium-end a/v equiptment in the 80's when cd's were first starting to get mainstream.  The big thing in thoes days was a designation on the disk that was ADA, AAD or DDD, which if I remember right was recorded in - mastered in - and the final format as the last letter.  Flim and the BB's were among the first to be produced as DDD or direct to digital cd's.  Flim and the BB's were on the "recomended demo list" for speaker manufacture's like Advent, and Cerwin Vega.  Not highend stuff and certainly not referance material by current audiophile standards I'm sure.  More than anything else I wondered if anyone remembered them.

Matt

I remember :)

Back in those days, I made a decision to buy the Klipcsh Heresy's rather that the Advents. Now, looking back the Advents would have been the better choice. I was into high efficiency and loud rock back then...

FWIW my fav's in thoes days were Neil Young "After the Goldrush" (the impurity of his voice is hard to translate on a cheap system), Rodger Waters "Radio KAOS", and Anything Alan Parsons touched.  I still use Neil and Rodger when I need a reality check on my system before finalizing a recording that requires a lot of post mastering.  Here again I'm no audiophile though, and back in the day my goal was to step someone from a $499 rack system into a couple grand in seperates.
     I'll agree with you on the Advent's too.  They were nice speakers for a good price, but I always have prefered sealed enclosures.  For fun on a slow day we would pull out a couple of bridgable amps and see how long it would take us to pop the slow-blow's on the 15" CV refrigerators... ahhh them's was the days!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
Bump

Anyone have any discs to add to the list? I've been asking people for reference album recommendations lately...so far I've heard multiple recs for:

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (I agree on this one...listened to it a bunch)
Steely Dan - Aja
David Gilmour's solo albums (any particular one?)
Thomas Dolby - Aliens Ate My Buick (not my favorite)

Up 'til now, I've always used:
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Pearl Jam - Ten

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
Hands down:

Dave Matthews - Some Devil
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 05:14:30 PM »
I'd recommend Jack Renner's recording of Stravinsky's , "The Firebird Suite" by The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra with Robert Shaw conducting.  It's on the Telarc label available on CD and on Hybrid SACD/DSD.

Also recommend seeking out some of the specific discs that made Bob Katz's honor roll.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:16:17 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:31 PM »
Also recommend seeking out some of the specific discs that made Bob Katz's honor roll.

Thanks!

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 09:23:43 PM »
Freebies for ya:
http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

My current critical listening files:

Mozart Violin Concertos by Marianne Thorsen and Trondheimsolistene
Love Drum Talk by Babatunde Olatunji 
Caminho De Casa by Herbie Mann         
Buena Vista Social Club
Tchaikovsky's 1812 by Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
Not Too Late by Norah Jones

The Chesky Critical Listen and Audiophile Test disks are not too shabby for this purpose.
Virtually all of the stuff up on  www.dawgnet.comwww.acousticdisc.com   is well mastered and would make a fine test disk once you've heard it enough to become critical about.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:31:54 PM by 0x328 »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
Maybe this is a new thread idea...

Are there any generally agreed upon audience (microphone) recordings that people use as reference recordings?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 03:52:13 PM »
Peter Gabriel, "In Your Eyes": very good for testing sibilance.  On vinyl it will make the shortcomings of a mediocre cartridge pretty evident and separate the good from the awesome.

Pelican, "Glimmer": good for testing the depth and clarity of the low-end, particularly the bass notes toward the end.

Ry Cooder, 'Paris, Texas' soundtrack: great acoustic and slide album, will give the mids a chance to show what they can do.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.17 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com