Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite preamp for AKG's?  (Read 15484 times)

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Favorite preamp for AKG's?
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:26:29 AM »
I'm kicking around the idea of selling my V3 and moving into a different preamp. Wondering if anyone has a particular favorite they think mixes well with AKG's.  Thanks in advance.
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Favorite preamp for AKG's?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »

The SD MP2.

I had AKGs for quite a while and I thought the AKG>Grace match up really lacked something.

When I had JW modded 460s they really shined with a Busman modded box as well.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline tubems

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • local idiot
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
i always liked how they sound with an Aerco mp2.

i have also listened to a few tapes with the nbob akg cables into the nbox and they sound really nice too.
------------
local idiot

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »
I agree when I had ck63's they sounded awesome with an Aerco MP-2.   Does a great job even in crappy and chatty rooms. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 09:20:07 PM »
The classic pairing is AKG with an Oade box IMO, 248 for cards, 148 for hypers. With the AKG's you need some warmth, preferably fat warmth. I ran mine with Oade boxes, Aeta, Apogee MME, Portico & Aerco all with great results. I never cared for my recordings with the V3 & ended up selling it since I didn't feel it was a good match. I did run the Mix pre for a short while but don't remeber being too impressed with it beyond the shiny lights. Now I run my 414's all the time with the FP24 & while they are LD's vs my old SD's I do like the pairing. I've also been pleased with the 414's & V2 but again I'd still prefer some transformer warmth instead. All of this is of course in my opinion   :)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »
I think they sound killer with naiant Littlebox or any box
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 11:47:23 PM »
I tried almost all of them, and think the transparency of the grace v2 pairs best with my c422...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline tubems

• Taperssection Regular
  • local idiot
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:56 AM »
I had good results with 414b/uls with sonosax as well. 
------------
local idiot

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 02:51:15 AM »
I ran just about every preamp we run with my old 480s, and my FAV preamp was the 722/702 sound! Doesn't get much easier to run either ;)

https://archive.org/details/db2007-05-21.akg483.flac16
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 03:28:40 AM »
Have you thought about changing your cables out? I ran dogstars for a few runs and they seemed too "bright" to me.
The oade pairing is a good bet too. But I don't ever see anyone stick with that setup for a long time.
Everyone I knew who ran it, only did it for a while and moved on to something else. My only point to everyone always saying great things about it is
 if its that great, why not stick with it?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline rockymtnryan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful.  My ultimate goal is to grab another pair of AKG caps and start running 4 channel, once I'm able to find a good 4 channel deck. Looking around for an Oade mod r44 or maybe a DR680, as I don't have the budget for 744 or something like that.  I'll be selling off some excess gear to help fund the switch..

Busman bsc1 active setup (card, omni, subcard, hyper all modded, with original bsc1 electronics in the box)
Lunatec V3
Tascam HDP2 (Busman T-Mod)
Extra cables and accessories

I figure start out going straight into a new deck to see how I like that, then add external preamps if I want more.  Lots of great suggestions here from MP2 to maybe Littleboxes. I've always loved the V3 and feel the transparency plays well with the AKG's, just have an itch to do something different.

Thanks again

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 02:24:25 PM »
Might be able to low ball this and get a good deal!!  I've ran both the R-44 and DR680 and prefer the R-44.   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edirol-Roland-R-44-Portable-24-bit-4-Track-Field-Recorder-w-bag-power-adapter-/251863310315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3aa4391feb
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:10:22 PM by jbell »

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
Have you thought about changing your cables out? I ran dogstars for a few runs and they seemed too "bright" to me.
The oade pairing is a good bet too. But I don't ever see anyone stick with that setup for a long time.
Everyone I knew who ran it, only did it for a while and moved on to something else. My only point to everyone always saying great things about it is

I stuck with Oade boxes for years, I had a 248 for a while then had Doug build me a 148. At the time I was running Schoeps & AKG's, Doug did something specific for my 148 that he felt made them sound better with the AKG's. After running that for a while Doug contacted me when after he nodded his first FR2 & told me he could get it to sound like a 148. I bought the mod FR2, kept the 248 & 148 then sold them finally to fund the Aeta since it was big bucks at the time or I never would have sold the preamps. When modded decks became popular most went to those, changing the demand for external preamps. I think those that still have the Oade pre's keep them, I don't think Doug has done repairs to them in years so if one fails you may be out of luck. They sound good, if he was still building them more people would have them & use them IMO.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 01:20:31 AM »

I stuck with Oade boxes for years, I had a 248 for a while then had Doug build me a 148. At the time I was running Schoeps & AKG's, Doug did something specific for my 148 that he felt made them sound better with the AKG's. After running that for a while Doug contacted me when after he nodded his first FR2 & told me he could get it to sound like a 148. I bought the mod FR2, kept the 248 & 148 then sold them finally to fund the Aeta since it was big bucks at the time or I never would have sold the preamps. When modded decks became popular most went to those, changing the demand for external preamps. I think those that still have the Oade pre's keep them, I don't think Doug has done repairs to them in years so if one fails you may be out of luck. They sound good, if he was still building them more people would have them & use them IMO.
Wasn't calling you out Carl, maybe it sounded like I was.
It's funny you say that; I was thinking of how the flow went. Seemed like a flavor of the month thing there for a minute.
Don't even see bricks in the signal chain anymore in most torrents I see posted. I'm sure ppl have theirs still but they are collecting dust.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:52:56 AM by JackoRoses »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 04:01:06 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful.  My ultimate goal is to grab another pair of AKG caps and start running 4 channel, once I'm able to find a good 4 channel deck. Looking around for an Oade mod r44 or maybe a DR680, as I don't have the budget for 744 or something like that.  I'll be selling off some excess gear to help fund the switch..

Busman bsc1 active setup (card, omni, subcard, hyper all modded, with original bsc1 electronics in the box)
Lunatec V3
Tascam HDP2 (Busman T-Mod)
Extra cables and accessories

I figure start out going straight into a new deck to see how I like that, then add external preamps if I want more.  Lots of great suggestions here from MP2 to maybe Littleboxes. I've always loved the V3 and feel the transparency plays well with the AKG's, just have an itch to do something different.

Thanks again

I think you should check out the Tascam DR70D IMO! Its brand new and is supposed to have really nice preamps in it, and for $300, how could you possibly go wrong? I'm buying one in the next few weeks! Going to sell one of my m10s an pay the rest(hopefully no more than $150) out of pocket! Add another $80 or so for cables and power, and for under $400 you have a super small and nice sounding 4 channel recorder ;) But Im running external preamps into mine, not using the 70Ds internal mic preamps! But I think there's really a LOT of potential for the 70D!!! For years we asked for a small, four channel deck with XLR inputs and a cheap price, and I'll be damned if Tascam didn't deliver and give us exactly what we wanted ;) I just don't want to sell one of my m10s to get one.But i'll do it if I have to lol ;D 8)

Anyway, I have always LOVED the 460/480> Tascam 680 tapes I've heard, Larry Pillman and Chuck come to mind, so I'm betting the farm that running 460/480> 70D would be even better, so Id highly suggest getting and trying a 70D, and if you don't like it, you can EASILY resell it and not lose any money ;) So I say try something new, because we've already used every combo out there with AKGs. So I say try something new and go the 70D route, and you just might find the best AKG combo yet ;) ;D 8)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 09:17:02 AM »
When I was running my UA-5 Oade warm+ mod, I loved the AKG's paired with this preamp. I then picked up a Littlebox in the YS, and was pleased to fine I liked the Littlebox even more than the UA-5. I recently picked up a Tascam DR-60D and because it can provide phantom power, I decided to try it out without any preamp in front of it. Very pleased and have actually considered selling my Littlebox. The UA-5 is already with another taper.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
I was sitting around a couple weeks ago and was wondering how I was going to record Dr. John (first low pro).  I had the stereo cranked up.  I ran my AKG ck61 with Naiant couplers and switched out the phantom powers from V2, littlebox, DR680, and DR100-mkii.  I liked the V2 better, may be because I'm more used to it.  Also, probably not the best way to compare and contrast.  I put the AKG 460 in the chain to and loved that.  It was a great chance to try different mic configurations (PAS, ORTF, DIN, and DINa) too.   
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

adrianf74

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
I've always liked the pairing of V2 or V3 and AKG 46x/48x.   But maybe that's just me. 

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
I always like the way AKG 48x's sounded with the MiniMe or any other Apogee product.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
Ive been running mine with either LB or TB....haven't had a chance to get to many shows this year with a newborn/infant so haven't run them with the MP-2 or FP-24 yet but will be next show I go to.  Have been very pleased with the akg>LB combo though.  I need to try >dr-60d as well maybe wont need an external?!
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 07:55:25 AM »

Wasn't calling you out Carl, maybe it sounded like I was.
It's funny you say that; I was thinking of how the flow went. Seemed like a flavor of the month thing there for a minute.
Don't even see bricks in the signal chain anymore in most torrents I see posted. I'm sure ppl have theirs still but they are collecting dust.
No worries, I didn't take it as if you were calling me out. I think it's really just a matter of timing. Before this board started a lot of us were on the Oade board, obviously most of us ran Oade preamps. I think if Doug was still on the bench like he was back then you'd see more of his products in sources but it was a long time ago, a lot of those guys aren't active tapers anymore & you can't buy a new Oade preamp today so unless someone is willing to sell theirs you're out of luck. Along those same lines it will be interesting to see how the Littlebox does in 10 years, my guess is the same fate as Oade preamps unfortunately. I personally appreciate & support the boutique builders like Oade, Niant & Aerco but as time marches on these guys can only do it for so long. Especially as technology advances & supplies of key compenents dwindle. End of rant   :D

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 05:11:17 PM »
If anyone is selling a lb or tb lmk, I have someone interested in one and mine are not going anywhere
That said, I did cut my lb (actually lb > m10) out of the chain with the dr-60d.
I will say the lb > m10 was slightlllllly better sounding but not enough that it kept me from selling the m10
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 05:39:15 PM »
will

I still have a midbox for sale
lmk if you need details
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline willndmb

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »
will

lmk if you need details
I'll tell him, I think he really is looking for a tb though
You might actually know him too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Marshall7

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 12:26:30 AM »
will

lmk if you need details

What kind of specs/configuration is it?

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 08:53:07 AM »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline rockymtnryan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
Didn't realize the LB's weren't available new anymore. Interesting.

I have seen more of the DR-60's in the field and they really sound nice.  The DR70 seems like a great 4 channel option for the price, but the one thing that I really don't like about that deck is the fact that the XLR inputs for channels 1-3 are on the left side of the box, and channel 4 is on the right.  Pretty random design from Tascam.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 05:02:51 PM »
Weird, but wouldn't be a deal breaker for cheap 4 channels of P48.  If you run stubbied XLR's shouldn't be a problem.

Didn't realize the LB's weren't available new anymore. Interesting.

I have seen more of the DR-60's in the field and they really sound nice.  The DR70 seems like a great 4 channel option for the price, but the one thing that I really don't like about that deck is the fact that the XLR inputs for channels 1-3 are on the left side of the box, and channel 4 is on the right.  Pretty random design from Tascam.

Marshall7

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 07:57:29 PM »

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
Yep, that is what you need - more gear.  ;D

Link to LMA Recordings

Marshall7

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 11:17:28 PM »
Yep, that is what you need - more gear.  ;D

Yeah, especially another preamp.   ;D  I haven't even added my second Tinybox to that list, or this baby that I just got last Thursday:

http://us.focusrite.com/mic-pres/octopre-mkii

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »
back when I ran mod'460's, the Apogee MMP preamp was my favorite pairing.  Pulled some really great recordings.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 10:57:35 AM »
Even though I ran it for quite a few years, JW460>V3 was not my favorite combo. :facepalm:

Offline obaaron

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 12:34:23 PM »
Gonna run my ck63's with my fp24 for Karl D on 4/2....ill be sure to post it.
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 12:54:21 AM »
Even though I ran it for quite a few years, JW460>V3 was not my favorite combo. :facepalm:

Yea, same here :( I ran 481/3>V3 for a few years, and just didn't like the results consistently(highend too grating/fatiguing). Not saying I didn't pull some smokin tapes with the combo, but once I got my 722, I sold the v3 pretty quickly. It was just something about the V3's ADC with the AKGs?!?!?! I even bought a modSBM1 to run V3>XLR>ModSBM1>JB3 because I didn't care for the V3's ADC lol ;D I guess I just ran the v3 because it was the best preamp out there at the time! And it had the option for an optical output, which I upgraded to, which was the easiest/best preamp on the market at the time with an optical output for all of us JB3 users ;D

Grace needs a new preamp on the market. The V3 came out in 2002, and its been 13 years since it came out :P :)

Offline easy jim

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 04:35:23 PM »
I've run 460s, 452s, 568s and 414s, and have generally liked AKGs best paired with some kind transformer pre amp.   Aerco is generally my favorite (have one), though I also enjoyed the SD MP2 when I had one.  I've also heard great sounding recordings by others with the Oade bricks and the Portico. 

When using omni capsules (ck22) and with outdoor cardioid recordings, however, with both the 452s and 460s, I have really enjoyed them paired with a V2/V3 and a Mini-Me. Large diaphragm AKGs also pair well with the Grace and Apogee pres.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:12:04 PM by Jackrabbit »
Mics:   AKG c452eb(x2)/c460b(x2) + a60m(x2)/a51(x2)/vr-1(x2); ck1(2),ck22(x3),ck3 (x2)
Pre/A2D:  Aerco MP-2 | Benchmark AD2K+
Recorders: Busman V/T Mod. Edirol R-4 Pro | MOTU Traveler/MacBook Pro | Sony R500 | Sony PCM-M1

Offline rockymtnryan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 06:16:02 PM »
What about 4 channel options that don't cost an arm and a leg? Would love to find a unit that gives good clean gain, taking the PFA XLR's in and sending out XLR to the deck. The DR-70D I just got doesn't have digital inputs so it would have to be XLR.

Offline obaaron

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 07:45:10 PM »
Well i ran my ck63's > naiant actives/pfa > fp24 > dr60 last Thursday along with my gefell m210's full body > tinybox (p48)  > dr60 and the AKG source was overloading in the input stage on the fp24 and it came out unusable.  This was with the gain all the way diwn on. The fp24. Weird thing is that I ran my m21 caps > nbob actives/pfa > fp24  last month for Lettuce and there was no overloading.  It was the same PFA/extension cable used the different mics so it has to be the naiant akg couplings or ck63's causing the overloading.  Need ti send some pics to Jon for analysis.

Bummed i wanted to hear how the ck63 Naiant actives sound with the fp24 guess ill habe to wait for the next show....

Good luck and have fun with the new gear!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »
FP24 spec for input clipping is -10dBu (-12dBV), which my AKG actives can easily exceed.  I think their sensitivity was around -37dBV/Pa and max level was 134dBSPL?  That's +3dBV.

You could either use an inline pad, or switch the FP24 to 15V phantom, which when used with a PFA will act as a -10dB pad on the active capsules.  Neither is the best solution, the basic problem is the FP24 probably has a fair amount of minimum gain from its input transformer.

There also seems to be a different in the FP24's line vs. tape output, with the line output capable of much higher levels.  I don't know if that could be the source of the problem.

I'd recommend testing with a controlled source to determine what is clipping and under which settings.

I will second what Jon said but in much less techno detail. The FP24 runs HOT, I have clipped the input numerous times with my 414's unless I used the pad on the mic or an inline pad. Running my Berliner's into the FP24 was fine without the pad probably due to them being less sensitive. I tried running my MBHO 440's at WSP last weekend & bam, overloaded the input, I couldn't turn the gain down enough to stop the dreaded red clip lights on the FP24 so I put my inline pads in & viola all was well again. In other words a set of pads with your actives & you should be good to go!

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2015, 11:39:54 AM »
I had a littlebox with switchable input trannies, and I loved running my 460/mk46/ck1x combo into that littlebox with the trannies on. If was wonderfully warm. The problem was that it ran hot, and I was always worried I was going to brickwall at a loud show. Most recently I was running 461's or 481's into my OCM R4 Pro, and liked it, it seemed significantly mellower than the V3.

I've always found it interesting that different mics and pres seem to blend differently in different combinations; interesting because it's not always predictable.  I used to think "those are bright mics" and "that is a warm pre", etc, but it's not that simple.  Here are some rambling examples.... With AKG's my V3 is "too detailed", AKG's into OCM R4 Pro is "smoother".  With my Gefells, it's exactly the opposite.  Gefells and AKG's into Mini-MP was good (too bad the form factor sucks). With a Busman T-mod R4, it seems neutral with AKGs or Gefells... a bit lifeless, but not objectionable in any particular way.  In some cases, with a given pre and caps, switching between 460 and 480 bodies seems to matter, and sometimes it doesn't.  I never got an "akg active project" setup mostly because it adds another variable, and I would probably have to go through another 3 preamps until I found one I liked with them. ADK-TL's seem to mate well with almost any pre, and Schoeps seem to tolerate almost any pre well also.

What does all this mean? I don't know, except that it's not always predictable, and at an intellectual level I would really like to understand it.  I suspect a lot of it has to do with input/output impedances of the particular devices, which most of us don't think about very often.  Some studio pres have variable input impedance to allow the engineer to tweak the flavor of the mic.  I've never used one so I don't know if it's really audible with music, or only when recording unicorn farts with properly burned in cables. 

Anyway, I just bought back into Team Gefell. but I haven't sold all my AKG's yet. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:39:15 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2015, 08:40:11 PM »
BRICK. 
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2015, 11:48:04 AM »

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2015, 04:33:01 PM »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline wlp

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2015, 09:21:11 AM »
I run a Shure FP24 and needed a solution to the high line output.  Jon had a great recommendation -
"The maximum output of the FP24 is rated at +22dBu, and the maximum input of the FR-2LE is +2dBu. Therefore, you should use a 24dB attenuator if you want to operate the FP24 at its nominal level."
I ordered a cabled pair from him at a good price.  Perfect solution.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.204 seconds with 72 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com