Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: small profile, USB powered phantom power (not pre-amp)  (Read 3514 times)

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
small profile, USB powered phantom power (not pre-amp)
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:21:27 PM »
Just looking at what available out there.

I run a DR-60D with AKGs, no problem on channels 1/2 and I usually take a SBD feed into channels 3/4.
But I am thinking there may be a time where I need 4 channels of 48v mics and do not want to carry\deal with a second machine.
(And I do it so infrequently it doesn't warrant the cost of a DR-70D or DR-680...yet...)

And I am pleased enough with the pre-amp on the DR-60D that I am not compelled to get an external one.

I have a couple of power supplies but they are kind of big and cumbersome.
Are there any that I can plug my mics into and have it powered from an external USB battery pack?

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
Re: small profile, USB powered phantom power (not pre-amp)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »
I know you aren't looking for a pre but this is essentially what I am going to do tonight with a DR60D I just acquired.  CMC64 into 1 and 2, Busman BSC1 > Tinybox for P48 > 3.5mm into 3/4.  I can't imagine there is a P48 only solution that uses USB power that is small than a stand-alone Tinybox.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 04:30:36 PM »
Needs more voltage than 5V USB power, but the Denecke PS-2 will take 7-22 volts input and provide P48 for two channels.

Runs of standard 9V battery, and has a 1/8" TS connector for DC input.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 03:56:26 PM »
I am confused by the original post.  The 60d can run off a 5v external cell battery.  Using the 1\8 stereo input, I think you would want a 9v battery box to power pip mics like dpa 4061s, countryman b3s, or at853s.  If you want to run 48v mics, then you'd need to look for a tiny box, mixpre, grace preamp...something like that.  At that point the $300 for 4 channels of 48v power on the 70d looks like an overall less expensive and more convenient option. 

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 05:17:44 PM »
I'm not sure what is confusing. He only wants 48V phantom power without a preamap on channels 3/4. He isn't going to run mini-mics. The second criteria is he wants it to run off 5V power so he can use the existing power source he uses for his 60D. He doesn't want to carry a second power source. Nothing mentioned so far meets that criteria, from what i can tell.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:27:48 PM »
So he wants something like the denecke 48v phantom supply, but needs it to run off 5v and not 9v?  Is that it?

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 10:20:40 PM »
So he wants something like the denecke 48v phantom supply, but needs it to run off 5v and not 9v?  Is that it?

Thats the way I took it - and i like the idea as well. Just something to turn the mics on - and uses a now common power supply.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com