Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Power Supply Help....  (Read 3499 times)

Offline VinceG.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Power Supply Help....
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:36:50 PM »
I'm close to ordering, and after speaking to the a rep at SoundProfessionals, I was advised to buy the cardioid mics (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-2), and the SPSB-10 (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-10). I did tell him exactly what I would be using my gear for (concerts, obviously), and he said the cardioids would offer better sound and help reduce the surrounding crowd noise, whereas binaurals puck up everything around you. I know that using cardioids mean that you pretty much have to stand still to avoid any marked difference in audio quality, and that's not a problem for me as I usually just stand there during a show I'm taping.

Yet, I'm still getting feedback from people telling me that I should buy the SPSB-11 which offers bass roll-off. I've listened to multiple audio samples where tapers have used SPSB-8's, 10's, & 11's, and I honestly cannot hear a difference. Any advice before I make my purchase this week?

Thank you.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Power Supply Help....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »
Forget about the bass roll-off.  Lavalier mics aren't particularly bass heavy to begin with.  You want to record as full a sound spectrum as you're able and then, if you need to, you can play with EQ and other parameters in post.  As they saying goes, you can always take the frequencies out later but you can't add them back in.  I'd also suggest that you stick with their regular 9v battery box sans roll-off (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-8) as opposed to the 12v one.  9v batteries are much easier to find and you will get a longer lifespan from them.

FWIW, I have the same microphone set from Sound Professionals and have made some really nice recordings with them.  You could do a lot worse, IMHO.

Offline VinceG.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »
So, what is the difference between the SPSB-8 and the SPSB-11? Both spec descriptions look virtually identical. And, is there something about the SPSB-10 that I shouldn't buy it since the rep @ Sound Professionals was really pushing me towards that one?

Just not sure which one to get.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »
The SPSB-10 and SPSB-11 both use 12v batteries (probably of the 23A variety) whereas the SPSB-8 uses normal 9v batteries.  Not only are 9v generally easier to find, but one will be able to power your mics for a few hundred hours easily.  The 12v is rated for around 30-50 hours of mic power.  You'll be buying a lot more 12v batteries.

I would've thought at first that the salesman was pushing you towards the 12v BB due to smaller size, but looking at the specs of both, they are almost the same size with the 9v being just a little wider.  Unless someone else has information, I don't know why the salesman would push you toward the 12v one.  Ultimately the choice is up to you.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »
The SPSB-10 and SPSB-11 both use 12v batteries (probably of the 23A variety) whereas the SPSB-8 uses normal 9v batteries.  Not only are 9v generally easier to find, but one will be able to power your mics for a few hundred hours easily.  The 12v is rated for around 30-50 hours of mic power.  You'll be buying a lot more 12v batteries.

I would've thought at first that the salesman was pushing you towards the 12v BB due to smaller size, but looking at the specs of both, they are almost the same size with the 9v being just a little wider.  Unless someone else has information, I don't know why the salesman would push you toward the 12v one.  Ultimately the choice is up to you.

I liked the SPSB-10 and it was REALLY small - I haven't measured it, but it's really small, and plastic.   That said, the SPSB-8 is certainly not big, either, and 9V batts are easier to get...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline VinceG.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:56:11 PM »
Thank you VERY MUCH to both of you. Really.

Looking at this: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-8

Which one would be preferable for a first-time buyer such as myself? The "in-line level control" or the "bass roll-off"?

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:30:38 AM »
Neither.  Since a battery box is simply a way to power your microphones and is not an amplifier, all the "in-line level control" will do is attenuate the signal which you don't really want or need.  And I wrote my assessment of "bass roll-off" in my first post. ;)   Don't they offer a "no-options" model?  That's what I would suggest for a basic battery box/first-time buyer.  The fewer bells and whistles, the better.

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »
IF you want to use the mics for recording very loud stuff they need the low sens mod or they even might distort with battery box . Sp charges extra 45 dollars for doing that.

Maybe you are doing better getting some Ca11 with cards, the good thing about em if you want run omnis just drop in omni capsules. And Chris doesnt charge extra money for low sens because every of his mics are that.

Just if you need the mics now (next gigs 48hours away) you will get factory SP mics faster. or search for Church mics in the YS here.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:38:42 AM by TimeBandit »
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline VinceG.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:42:46 PM »
I don't need the mics now, though I will be using my Aiwa stereo mic next week to test it at a comedy show. Won't be using the full setup until my Van Halen show next month.

@Fried Chicken Boy, yes...they offer a "no options" model. If the SPSB-8 performs the same duties (more or less) as the SPSB-10 or 11, then I might be inclined to purchase that instead.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 09:05:06 AM »
I have an SP-SPSB-8; I don't use it that often but I do think it's a pretty good battery box.  Small and fairly sturdy.  Like Fried Chicken Boy mentioned, you get hundreds of hours of run-time and the convenience of 9V batteries is a big plus...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com