Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamp Comp Aerco MP-2 vs Shure FP24  (Read 4177 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Preamp Comp Aerco MP-2 vs Shure FP24
« on: May 29, 2015, 10:17:05 PM »
The other night I decided to comp my newly acquired Aerco MP-2 & Shure FP-24 at my local venue. The show was the New Mastersounds with Euforquestra opening. I ran MBHO 440's spread about 13" apart pointing at the house PA speakers, which are mounted hanging from the ceiling which is approximately 12 feet high. The mics were clamped to a beam in the center of the room about 9 feet high & 6 feet off the stage, it's a small intimate room that sounds great. The mics were run into a pair of splitter cables with the Aerco providing phantom power since I can't turn phantom off on the Aerco, the other set from the splitter was plugged into the FP-24 with phantom off. From both pre's I ran directly into my DR-680 as well as a board feed into the last two channels on the DR which is not included in the comp obviously. The Aerco is a fixed gain unit providing 20 dB, the FP-24 was set at around 10:00 with 18 dB attenuators on the mic inputs since it runs pretty hot, using the attenuators allows me to use more of the gain control on the FP. In the quiet parts there's a rumble in the right channel due to the AC duct, fortunately it isn't too noticeable while the bands are playing. There has been no eq in either source, I only bumped the gain in Audacity.

So transformer preamp vs transformer preamp. I've uploaded a track from each band, track 1 is Euforquestra, track 2 is New Mastersounds. I found the results interesting personally but I'm not judging anything since this was just one night in one particular venue. Feel free to discuss, hopefully this will create some discussion since some of us find preamps to be more important than others as far as imparting a certain flavor in our recordings. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_AEIvcg2ktXflBsWjJCT2ZtdG1XRlZ0eTdaSlZOQ0RKcVIyNloybTFFZ3ZnVWg3azRGdDg&usp=sharing
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Preamp Comp Aerco MP-2 vs Shure FP24
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 01:01:39 AM »
I honestly can't tell a difference.  I even had my wife switch my A/B at random without watching and I couldn't detect any transitions.  So I pulled them up in Audacity and compared waveforms--even zooming in to the sample level--and they look identical.  I thought maybe there was some mistake, and they were the same file, but the MD5s don't match.

Listening was via Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (direct asynchronous) and Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 08:56:32 AM »
Had to listen with cans since it's early here.  I agree they do sound similar.  I always thought the Aerco Reichenbach transformers had a slightly 'beefier' sound than the Lundhals in the FP-24, particularly in the low end.  So based on that I'd say:

1a:  FP-24
  b:  Aerco

2a: Aerco
  b: FP-24

I'll give them a listen again when I can run them through the towers and sub and see if anything sounds different.  I [heart] transformer-based preamps.  :)   Thanks Carl.

edit to add that after listening to them over my speakers they sound even more similar to one another than they did over headphones.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:33:02 AM by drewloo »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »
I honestly can't tell a difference.  I even had my wife switch my A/B at random without watching and I couldn't detect any transitions.  So I pulled them up in Audacity and compared waveforms--even zooming in to the sample level--and they look identical.  I thought maybe there was some mistake, and they were the same file, but the MD5s don't match.

Listening was via Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (direct asynchronous) and Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones.

There is a foobar plug-in that makes it easy to do a double-blinded ABX type of comparison:  http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_abx

As an Aerco owner, who has considered an FP24/MixPre on a bunch of occasions, I am looking forward to hearing these.  Thanks for posting!

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »
1a:  Aerco
  b:  FP-24

2a: FP-24
  b: Aerco

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »
Gotta watch out how the connected electrical paths due to the splitter can result in unexpected impact.
And it varies depending on the particular hardware in use, phantom powering circuit topology, etc.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 12:00:42 PM »
Gotta watch out how the connected electrical paths due to the splitter can result in unexpected impact.
And it varies depending on the particular hardware in use, phantom powering circuit topology, etc.

Agreed & the proper way to do this comp would have been to run an external phantom power supply then the splitter into each preamp. Unfortunately since the phantom can't be switched off in the Aerco that wasn't a possibility. With all that being said I don't feel using the Aerco to supply phantom skewed the test in any way, I've run both before separately & they sound what they sound like, it was just a fun way to compare preamps in this manner.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 01:08:09 PM »
I can't speak for all Aerco's since there are so many variations......  but I could un-jumper the pantom power in my old Aerco.
Take the lid off, use a needle nose pliers....  easy.  No more phantom.
I learned that trick from Jerry.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com