Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 batteries and charger  (Read 9761 times)

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
722 batteries and charger
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:30:08 PM »
Gotta pick up a couple of batteries for the summer....I was wondering if there was anything newer and greater I should look at?

This seems insanely cheap, hard to believe:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001733MZY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00125EWCO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QVV0TBP7YVHHZ9JV5KW

And then a couple of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCR-TRV310-Camcorder-Battery-Lithium-Ion/dp/B00301OBCY

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: 722 batteries and charger
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 05:20:58 PM »
And then a couple of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCR-TRV310-Camcorder-Battery-Lithium-Ion/dp/B00301OBCY

There are bigger batteries availible. I had a 7800mah at one point in time that I used in my 722. I think they run about double that though. I'll get a link later if you are interested (I found them over on SD's forum in the big battery thread, last couple of pages).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »
7800 mAh is about as high a capacity "internal" battery you can get for the 7xx boxes.  You can of course attach much higher capacity batteries via the 4-pin Hirose connector.  However, a 7800 mAh battery will run a 722 for quite a while since it draws about 1 A while recording.

I'd be very careful about using a $2 battery charger.  But if you want to try it and let us know how it works out for you, be my guest.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »
I get free shipping from Amazon, so I might just go ahead and pick that up.  About how long to the 7800mAh run the unit for?

7800 mAh is about as high a capacity "internal" battery you can get for the 7xx boxes.  You can of course attach much higher capacity batteries via the 4-pin Hirose connector.  However, a 7800 mAh battery will run a 722 for quite a while since it draws about 1 A while recording.

I'd be very careful about using a $2 battery charger.  But if you want to try it and let us know how it works out for you, be my guest.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:23:23 PM »
1 A = 1000 mA    7800 mAh / 1000 mA = 7.8 hours.  So in theory a 7800 mAh battery will run a 722 for about 7.8 hours.  However, this depends on the particular battery and how the manufacturer measured the battery capacity, and how far you discharge the battery.  Deep discharge of Li-ion batteries will shorten their life.  In practice, I'd expect about 6 hours of run time with a 7800 mAh battery.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 11:47:24 PM »
ty!

1 A = 1000 mA    7800 mAh / 1000 mA = 7.8 hours.  So in theory a 7800 mAh battery will run a 722 for about 7.8 hours.  However, this depends on the particular battery and how the manufacturer measured the battery capacity, and how far you discharge the battery.  Deep discharge of Li-ion batteries will shorten their life.  In practice, I'd expect about 6 hours of run time with a 7800 mAh battery.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 12:03:08 AM »

The cheapo charger actually had better reviews than the more expensive one.  $1.98 for the charger, $8 for shipping, there ya have it.  Ordered three of the 6900mAH, hopefully that gets me through Mountain Aire.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 12:06:15 AM »
I'm only attracted to the ultra large ones since I run P48 and mic-in on mine. If I ran line in and didn't have to burn power on either, then I wouldn't care. My current 6700 or 6800 battery gets me through 3 hrs of recording before I hit 7.0v which is about where I consider looking for new power.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline sparkey

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 08:21:05 AM »
Larger than 7800mAH?  It seems like I can get at least 4 hours out of the stock battery....

I'm only attracted to the ultra large ones since I run P48 and mic-in on mine. If I ran line in and didn't have to burn power on either, then I wouldn't care. My current 6700 or 6800 battery gets me through 3 hrs of recording before I hit 7.0v which is about where I consider looking for new power.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:18:49 AM »
Larger than 7800mAH?  It seems like I can get at least 4 hours out of the stock battery....

Na, I'm attracted to the 7800mahs for that reason. I've had the recorder shut down around 6.8v on occasion so I try and stop it at 7.0 when and where possible. I've even had a low battery voltage and tried to turn it on (with P48 and HPF already turned on that time, I don't do that anymore) and it turned on and died immediately, like an overdraw circuit was tripped. Dunno. Powering is mild voodoo to me. I could run just over 5 hrs (recording) on the 7800 batteries with phantom, both hdd/cf. ymmv

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 03:56:04 PM »
Can't understand why people don't use the dummy cell and pigtail powering solution instead of goofing around with these batteries.  When I owned my 7XX, this was easily my favorite powering solution for my tastes, because I hated having a) to have to power the deck down perhaps during the middle of a show to swap a battery, and b) having to turn the deck upside down and take it out of the bag to take the battery off, and c) most of all having to dick around with that f***in' PITA locking pin, which is a great concept and great design but to me was a real PITA to work with.

The dummy cell goes on once and you never have to take it off.  You power the 7XX for hours with RC batteries (which are cheap and plentiful on ebay) that connect via a two dollar Tamiya connector and since you can pigtail the cable, you can hotswap batteries and never lose power to your 7xx. 

I have a cable for anyone that wants it (I'm fully committed to my R4 pro), but you'd have to buy a new dummy cell because I stepped on mine and cracked it open.  Pfft.  $15 for the cable, which has three separate branches and a common fuse.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 06:33:54 PM »
Where do you find the dummy cells?

Can't understand why people don't use the dummy cell and pigtail powering solution instead of goofing around with these batteries.  When I owned my 7XX, this was easily my favorite powering solution for my tastes, because I hated having a) to have to power the deck down perhaps during the middle of a show to swap a battery, and b) having to turn the deck upside down and take it out of the bag to take the battery off, and c) most of all having to dick around with that f***in' PITA locking pin, which is a great concept and great design but to me was a real PITA to work with.

The dummy cell goes on once and you never have to take it off.  You power the 7XX for hours with RC batteries (which are cheap and plentiful on ebay) that connect via a two dollar Tamiya connector and since you can pigtail the cable, you can hotswap batteries and never lose power to your 7xx. 

I have a cable for anyone that wants it (I'm fully committed to my R4 pro), but you'd have to buy a new dummy cell because I stepped on mine and cracked it open.  Pfft.  $15 for the cable, which has three separate branches and a common fuse.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
The official name and model is the DK-415 Battery Eliminator...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-AC-V615-BATTERY-CHARGER-DK-415-BATTY-ELIMINATOR-/390073417520?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item5ad22fff30

What you do is hack the wires on the blank/dummy that poses as the battery and replace with a cable that has the pigtails...here's a picture of what I made for myself before I stepped on the plastic end and crinkled it up.  This is what I'd sell for $15.  Alternatively, instead of buying the battery eliminator, if you have a dead battery that you were using with your 7xx, you could strip the guts out of it and do what I did below with the exterior battery case (all you need to do is solder two connections inside the casing) to connect it up to this pigtail.  It's just a matter of soldering the cable so that each lead makes continuity with one of the grommets (those things that slide onto the 7xx battery posts) on the inside of the battery casing.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:20:22 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 11:48:31 PM »
The official name and model is the DK-415 Battery Eliminator...

Chop the end and make it into a generic recipient, then create cable connectors to tekkeon batteries or tamiyas or whatever. That would be versatile power, but not smaller or lighter. (I guess that's the trade for ease/comfort).

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 12:19:43 AM »
Hey Josh,
I have one of those generic chargers...got it off ebay for about $8 or $9 bucks shipped.

I bought it so I can keep it in my bag when out and about during my travels.  The SD charger is heavy and bigger, so I leave that in my hotel room (or wherever I'm staying).

Then, if my stuff gets stolen out of my room, I still have a charger to use.   Also, 2 extra benefits:
1. this charger can plug into a car lighter jack
2. i can charge 2 at a time while sleeping

Downside.....VERY slow.  About 13-16 hours to fully charge one of the big batteries :(

Batteries...I have always used generics with no problems.

Hey, how do you get free shipping with amazon?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com