Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need XY Set Up (Schoeps)  (Read 11795 times)

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
Re: Need XY Set Up (Schoeps)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 11:00:17 PM »
Got a few of these myself Charlie use them onstage at Winstons.quite a bit
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 12:08:35 AM »
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 01:15:21 AM »
If size or cost is not an issue... 

Vark Bar/darktrain Bar/followinbob Bar (choose your maker)
Riser(s)
2 Rycote Invision shock mounts

Vark Bar:  https://id33157.securedata.net/varkaudio.com/merchantmanager/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=stereo+bar&mmsid=042804514c1057c40635f2e116ac9403&x=0&y=0

darktrain bars in two sizes:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=115017.0 
(I don't think that darktrain has made these in a while..  he made two sizes...  I don't run XY, but I prefer the larger size.)  (He supplied risers also)  (Put a ISO in the YS maybe.)

followinbob bar (aluminum) in two sizes:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=162285.0
followinbob bar (Vark style):  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164502.0
followinbob risers:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=163089.0

Rycote Invision INV-HG mkIII shock mounts:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880280-REG/Rycote_041118_INV_8_Microphone_Suspension.html  This is B&H's site, but many vendors carry them.

I have not used any of the followinbob bars/risers...  but he makes quality stuff. 
I have used both Vark Bar and darktrain Bars/risers and they are fantastic.
I am not sure of the availability of any of these items..  but an ISO in the YS might help if needed.

or

Shure A27M:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vnMBRDgARIsACm_BhKo3OuGjtsGt1AxcDBra4ZcqsoABntOpWxug9gi777l6WHBau9US7YaAoOeEALw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&sku=68616  This is B&H's site, but many vendors carry this.

2 Schoeps A20 (or knock offs) shock mounts:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vnMBRDgARIsACm_BhL-45XEGHcozeuDXIjeyygOF46YIoNjkN4rBsze7ApsODplfq_DPT8aApnKEALw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&sku=386430 This is B&H's site, but many vendors carry them.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 01:21:58 AM »
The Grace Design Spacebar is pretty dreamy too... 

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/spacebar/spacebar_stereo.html

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:31:13 AM by yug du nord »

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »
The Schoeps bar is straight up sexy, as is that grace bar. I think I have the info needed. Thanks. I like the idea of having a bar that allows me to use the Schoeps shock mount.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »
Just bought the Shure A27M. Once again, thank you for all the responses. This place rocks. Always has. Always will.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »
Charlie,

The 3D printed mounts from Shapeways are extremely sturdy and offer an accurate representation of the various mic configs offered (X/Y, DIN, DINa, ORTF, etc...).  The designer of these mounts, Scott Shepherd, is a longtime Schoeps user and he can produce anything for you that your heart desires.  I have mounts from Scott for Schoeps, Gefell, DPA and Milab microphones and they are perfect in every way.  I highly recommend Scott's product line of microphone mounts.

David
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 12:38:27 PM »
Charlie,

The 3D printed mounts from Shapeways are extremely sturdy and offer an accurate representation of the various mic configs offered (X/Y, DIN, DINa, ORTF, etc...).  The designer of these mounts, Scott Shepherd, is a longtime Schoeps user and he can produce anything for you that your heart desires.  I have mounts from Scott for Schoeps, Gefell, DPA and Milab microphones and they are perfect in every way.  I highly recommend Scott's product line of microphone mounts.

David

I plan on getting Scott's too. I like the idea of having the option to use my Schoeps shockmounts when needed.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »
Just bought the Shure A27M. Once again, thank you for all the responses. This place rocks. Always has. Always will.
Charlie, We own a Shure A27M. The thread inside allows you more flexibility than you might think. This is a high quality product; our only downside with it is weight in the bag (which isn't THAT heavy, but...). When we stopped running solely coincident we stopped carrying it in the bag.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »
Charlie, We own a Shure A27M. The thread inside allows you more flexibility than you might think. This is a high quality product; our only downside with it is weight in the bag (which isn't THAT heavy, but...). When we stopped running solely coincident we stopped carrying it in the bag.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. This is exactly why my A27M has never been used- I think the thing weighs almost as much as my stand (got it with a pair of KSM137's). I now have 4 of Scott's 3D-printed mounts and still haven't approached 1/8 of the A27M's weight. The 3D printed mounts are much more durable than I expected- you can ignore the "decorative" disclaimer.

The A27M is very well designed but I'm old-- bad knees, badder back. So keeping it as light as possible is important to me, YMWV.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 05:53:35 PM »
Shure A27M is great onstage.  The thing is totally bullet-proof.  You can take the center axle out and flip the center segments around for more mic clearance if you ever want to use bigger LD mics.  The only fidgety thing is getting the angle right via the combination of hinged mic mounts and rotating A27M center segments - but that allows for adjustment to whatever X/Y angle you want.   It's solid steel and seemingly weighs a ton however, making it rather top-heavy atop a tall stand, especially with heavy LD mics.  For that reason I only use it on-stage down low where the weight helps keep it anchored.

Haven't used Shapeways 3D-printed stuff, but those mounts are lightweight, simple and quite sturdy from everything I've seen of them.  Unlike the A27M, each mount is dedicated to a single setup.  So X/Y is always 90-degrees, not 110 or 120 or whatever unless you have another one for that dedicated angle, although I suppose you might be able to use the 90-degree X/Y full-body mic mount backwards for DIN.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 08:30:34 PM »
Well I'll have both here this week. I'm working this. Will try them out then.

https://www.facebook.com/events/822060197952998/?ti=icl

FYI:
The box with the Shure mount is 2lbs.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:33:51 PM by Charlie Miller »

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 10:33:07 PM »
Shure A27M is great onstage.  The thing is totally bullet-proof.  You can take the center axle out and flip the center segments around for more mic clearance if you ever want to use bigger LD mics.  The only fidgety thing is getting the angle right via the combination of hinged mic mounts and rotating A27M center segments - but that allows for adjustment to whatever X/Y angle you want.   It's solid steel and seemingly weighs a ton however, making it rather top-heavy atop a tall stand, especially with heavy LD mics.  For that reason I only use it on-stage down low where the weight helps keep it anchored.

Haven't used Shapeways 3D-printed stuff, but those mounts are lightweight, simple and quite sturdy from everything I've seen of them.  Unlike the A27M, each mount is dedicated to a single setup.  So X/Y is always 90-degrees, not 110 or 120 or whatever unless you have another one for that dedicated angle, although I suppose you might be able to use the 90-degree X/Y full-body mic mount backwards for DIN.

That's precisely why some of us use the mk4v and mk41v- In the Shapeways 3D mounts of all kinds, the spacing is fixed, but the angle is infinite.

Charlie- sell your mic bodies!! Buy nbob cables> naiant pfa's for less $$$$ and more flexibility. The mounting options alone make getting your microphones into the right spot in the right configuration.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 11:04:06 PM »

That's precisely why some of us use the mk4v and mk41v- In the Shapeways 3D mounts of all kinds, the spacing is fixed, but the angle is infinite.

Charlie- sell your mic bodies!! Buy nbob cables> naiant pfa's for less $$$$ and more flexibility. The mounting options alone make getting your microphones into the right spot in the right configuration.

I sold my actives years ago. I'm staying with full bodies since I'm able to do everything I need, plus I just bought a bunch of stuff for the full bodies.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 11:46:36 PM »
As much as I dig (and support) all of the "local TS" gear makers and all of the gear that they produce...  I can't imagine any professional recording engineer trusting a "new-ish" piece of gear that is not manufactured by a professional source. 
A hobby is a hobby...  but a job is a job.
For the love of music, thankfully CM is a "taper" too!
:headphones:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com