Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser e614  (Read 2686 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sennheiser e614
« on: February 04, 2019, 11:07:57 AM »
For a while I didn't have much interest in getting a pair of hypercards/supercards, as I wasn't enamored with the sound of most I'd heard in PA concert taping situations.  Often they seemed to have a specific sound that just didn't sit right with me.  Recently, though, I got more and more interested in them, not as a way to try to cut out crowd noise but as a way to achieve greater separation between channels.  As I listened to more and more recordings to try to find some that I liked, the Gefell M21 really stood out.  Being unsure of whether I'd ultimately want to use hypers much, though, I decided to look for something cheaper.

Eventually I came across the Sennheiser e614.  I immediately liked the compact size of it, and the impressive polar pattern: https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/10872/SP_1207_v1.0_e_614_Product_Specification_EN.pdf  Through most of the frequency range (other than 16k Hz, obviously), they are pretty damn consistent.  The frequency response looks pretty good, too.  Obviously because they're supercards they're going to roll off more on the low end, but I'm not entirely opposed to that because I increasingly find I want to roll off the bass in post anyway.

I found a couple of these for pretty cheap and pulled the trigger.  This weekend I ran them for the first time.  I haven't listened to all the recordings yet, but so far I'm pretty impressed with these mics.  For less than half the price of one Gefell M21 cap, these seem to sound pretty good.  If anyone is in the market for budget hypers/supers, I'd recommend giving these a look.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: Sennheiser e614
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 02:38:32 PM »
There was a MPLS taper using these for a while and I was always impressed with his pulls when I compared them to what I captured with Schoeps MK41's. He went back to using MD421's I'm guessing he broke the e614's at some point but for my ears these mics sound outstanding.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 04:26:16 PM »
I also have two of these mics.  I had my eye on them for a little while, but your Spyscraper recording was my nudge closer to pulling the trigger.
While I have yet to finish my taping rig (mounts and windscreens left), I did put one of the mics to use.
I used one as my vocal mic for my podcast last week instead of my LDC.  I was impressed.  Did not have to EQ and I sounded a lot more "like myself".
Nice to hear a couple more recordings.  For the money, a FINE choice for supercards IMO.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 04:47:34 PM »
There was a MPLS taper using these f7or a while and I was always impressed with his pulls when I compared them to what I captured with Schoeps MK41's. He went back to using MD421's I'm guessing he broke the e614's at some point but for my ears these mics sound outstanding.

He pulled some great sounding recordings with e614's...  but yes, I think they broke somehow.  One of the few mikes that claim to be a supercardioid. 
Great sounding mikes!!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.152 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com