Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Question for Recording a Live Show????  (Read 2317 times)

Offline absolutbud87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sound Question for Recording a Live Show????
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:24:23 PM »
I'm taping my friends band at a venue this weekend and I want to get the best sound possible. I have a Canon GL2. I have shot shows before, but I get horrible sound on my camera. I usually just worry about it in post and synch the footage up with music from the band's cd.  However, my friend doesn't have a cd for the songs being played because they're all new.  Is there anything I can do with audio levels, new equipment, or wires I can plug into the mic system to ensure that I get good sound? Anything at all?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Question for Recording a Live Show????
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »
What's your budget?  Do you want to record openly or stealthily?  In what other environments, if any, do you intend to use the recording gear:  strictly amplified bands, unamplified music, nature recordings, voice, etc.?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:05:09 PM »
Dude, you don't have much time to figure this out and get your gear together.

Your camera will record 16-bit (48 kHz/2ch) PCM which is good enough, so I'd just add some external mics and record the sound on the video camera.  What you need is a couple of decent mics and a way to get the signal into the camera.  Buy or borrow a Canon MA-300 Microphone Adapter or a BeachTek DXA-4p.  These will allow you to use mics with balanced outputs.  However, they don't have phantom power, so you'll have to use mics that can be battery powered, or mics that don't need phantom power.  Or you could get a BeachTek DXA-6A which has phantom power, but of course it is more expensive.

Now you need some mics.  Rather than buying on such short notice, try to borrow some mics.  Ideally, borrow some condenser mics that can be battery powered.  Otherwise, borrow a couple of dynamic mics.  Make sure they both are the same model.  Get a mic stand and some cables and set the mics up in an XY configuration.  Do some reading in the Microphone section for what I mean by XY and for tips on where to place the mics.  Don't stress too much about mic placement if this is the first time you've made a recording with external mics; anything you do will probably sound much better than recording with the camera's built-in mics.

Forgive me for assuming you don't have much experience in audio.  Keep it simple.  Set up your gear and make some test recordings BEFORE the show.  You'll learn a lot the first time.  Good luck!

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »
Where are you located? There might be a taper near you who'd be willing to come out and record.

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

03 / Pokey Lafarge / Ottawa, ON / Ritual
11 / PleasureCraft / Ottawa, ON / Irene's Pub

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 02:14:21 AM »
I'm taping my friends band at a venue this weekend
wires I can plug into the mic system to ensure that I get good sound?

Assuming you have access to the soundboard, get a cheap recorder + cables and tap the signal going line in.
Not as good as separate mics, but less intimidating than setting up an entire rig + stand if you've never done it before.
Sync to video in post, just as you suggested.

Depending on your budget, you can get a 16-bit recorder used for $75 and upwards (JB3, iriver) or a 24-bit for $100-$300 or so.
Check the yard sale here for some deals, although the might not reach you in time for the weekend.

Or to save time, hit your local music store and get a recorder over the counter (Tascam DR-07 retails for $150).
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline absolutbud87

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:24:43 PM »
Thanks a lot. I went out and bought a Tascam Pocket Studio DP-004. It has 2-tracks for simultaneous recording, two mic/ inputs, level and pan controls, it's cd quality, and has a USB connection for importing files. I'm going to plug this into the sound board and then sync it up with the video in post. What do you guys think?

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »
Sounds like a plan (that should work just fine).  Make sure you have a selection of patch cables so you can patch into 1/4" TS, 1/4" TRS, XLR3 and maybe RCA.  Good luck.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com