Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: rode nt5  (Read 3681 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
rode nt5
« on: May 02, 2004, 11:15:23 AM »
anyone have experience w/ these mics?

http://www.rode.com.au/specsnt5/nt5specs.htm

found them for $300/ matched pair. sounds like a good deal to me.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
Re:rode nt5
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 11:38:54 AM »
The NT5s are decent mics but still a great way to get started.  
For $300/pr, it's a good deal.  
Have you checked the ADK condenser mics?  THey are in the similar price range, but i have found them to be of slightly better quality than the Rode's
the SC1s: http://www.adkmic.com/specs/SC-1.html
and the SCTs are great choices: http://www.adkmic.com/specs/SC.html

"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 12:12:35 PM »
I'm throwing in my biased vote for the SC-T's. For the price, I really like the sound...

travis
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 12:39:30 PM »
hmmmm  didn't check those out. time for more searching.

thanks,               kirk

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 01:17:45 PM »
There is a used pair for sale. Look under the AKG 480,391,etc thread in the yard sale section. I'm not the seller FYI.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 01:48:35 PM »
i would look through the mic forum for some opinions on r0de mics.  thats all im gonna say. :-)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 11:15:01 AM »
anyone have experience w/ these mics?

http://www.rode.com.au/specsnt5/nt5specs.htm

found them for $300/ matched pair. sounds like a good deal to me.
I have a pair for sale, I'm the one who posted on the akg thread in the yard sale.  Here is the real dirt on the mics.  I like the mics as a whole.   here are some pro's:  They are FANTASTIC stage mics for the price.  The fact that they are matched is going to help with the overall imaging which is great if that is important to you.  They have a very broad frequency responce for the money, and to my ears they are uncolored in sound.  They capture the lows quite well are are extreemly well suited for acoustic music.  They work with a wide range of phantom power voltages (9-48).  I originally bought these mics to work with a portable mixer for mixing sound board feed and stages mics, and they are extreemly well suited for that. The only thing I don't like about them is because they pick up the lows well, and they have no bass rolloff switch, I have found myself doing a lot of post production work when I record at some venues to cut out some of the bass.  With more acoustic shows, this in not an issue, its a bennefit.  If you use an "xy" config, it is less of a problem I've found.
     I have recently recorded side by side with a akg c1000 > v3 > laptop source and I have part of his recording.  The c1000 isn't know for bass responce, and that was a bennifit to him in that situation... it was very boomy and my mics reproduced what my ears heard (and what my chest felt).  After I eq'd the bass down, I liked mine much better.  I also shared a stand with a guy who was using octavas (mk 012's I think) a week or two ago, and he had some technical difficulties on the main show, but he got the opener.  During the opener we wern't sharing a stand, but our mics were within 10' of each other, so it should still be a good comparison.  We were on a balcony at the back of the venue and the bass echoed badly.  We stuck the mics out off the balcony to help this situation.  The opener I was agout 30 inches off the balcony, and for the main act we were both 8-10 ft off the balcony.  In this case I only did a -1-2 db cut @ 86 hz and it sounds great.  I could have gotten by without touching it, but I don't care for heavy bass.
    So... if you are interested in a set of these mics, I will be selling them for $250 and I will include a stereo bar.  I'm still trying to work out set lists for the two shows so I haven't uploaded them yet to the archive, although that is my intent.  If you are interested I will get you both of these shows with comparisons to the other mics.  I have not yet advertised these mics formally, because I think I may be doing a 4-mic stage mic mix on the 9th at a bennefit concert for a local jazz musician/friend.  After that they will be available for sale.  
Contact me if you would like more info.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 11:19:27 AM »
Not to completely hijack this, but how did you extend your mics 10 ft off the balcony? Lay your stand down? Or do you have a 10 foot boom with a 2 ton counterbalance?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 11:29:34 AM »
Close on both acounts.  Charlie (cfbarlow from here) is the guy with the octavas.  He has a 17' bogden.  I was hoping to do a matrix so I had my 2nd bag that has my mixer, 240' of cords, and every adaptor known to man.  It must way about 50lbs.  We laid the stand on it's side, and duct taped it down, then threwmy matrix gear on top for weight.  It worked out well.  This was at the Abby in Chicago for RWTC.
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 05:46:28 PM »
  thanks for the offer matt, might take you up on it. i'm just fishin' right now and won't be needing them for a month or so. still need to shopp aroun some them when i get a couple solid options in my price range i'll do some listening.
  that they picked up the lows was one of the things that caught my eye. my last recordings(sbd) came out kind of tinny and hollow. i guess because the bottom was coming from off the stage and not so much through the board.
  i'll be using them mainly outdoors so i don't think there'll be a problem w/ boomyness?    
                                          kirk

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 06:02:10 PM »
Actually I've never had a chance to use them outdoors, and I'm thinking about keeping them through may just so I can see what they can do outdoors... I've heard they are pretty good outside.  If I haven't sold them, I'll bring them to the wu reunion on Memorial day weekend, and run a comparison with my new mics.  Another advantage I forgot to mention is that they can handle 140 db... most similar mics are 125-130.
Matt

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 06:49:44 PM »
143 db acording to their sheet. that was another + that i saw. thought they looked preaty good on paper, but seem to knocked in the field a lot.

kirk

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 06:53:50 PM »
They get knocked here a lot for sure.  I'd probably get more for them on e-bay anyway... I might just skip the yard sale.  I get sick of fighting the good fight, ya know!

Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com