Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best place for sound  (Read 4947 times)

Offline ace_92029

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best place for sound
« on: October 28, 2005, 04:56:49 PM »
I am going to record u2 at madison square garden in November.   I have 2 of everything.  I will mix the sound post production.  Where would be the best 2 spots to record sound in this venue do you think?

I was told the center is best because the mix is geared for that area.  Although I can have a man on the right and left and mix later.   Or I may just have a center recording and a side recording and listen to it later to see how to mix it.   Everything is audience recording that I am doing (so no sound board).  Also mics are professional grade and so is recorder (recording at 24 bit).

Thx for any help-

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
Re: Best place for sound
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 05:44:47 PM »
Sorry, I can't answer the question you are asking, but I'd like to point out that by running two different units, they may not stay in synch with each other.  It's common for recording equipment to use quartz crystals that have 100 ppm accuracy and +/- 100 ppm drift over temperature.  Now they don't usually approach the worst case specs, but it's not uncommon for two rigs to develop 1/10th of a second skew between two sources over an hour's time.  So in post, you are going to have to selectively stretch one vs. the other or do some other similar operation to keep the two sources aligned.  I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it's not always trivial either.  I've done a fair number of mixes like that in post and the results are usually pretty good, but it's not as easy as align, slice and burn either.  It usually takes me at least 8 times as long to track out a show when using multiple, unsynchronized sources.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline ace_92029

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 10:43:28 PM »
I think it would be quiet easy.  I use Final Cut Pro 5.  If I sink them in the beginning of the concert to an inaudible difference and then find out if I am off near the end I can then change the speed consistently over the whole concert (both sound and video if need be) with one function...now it's just playing with the % near 100% to see where it lines up perfect...not too difficult.

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 11:18:40 PM »
I think it would be quiet easy.  I use Final Cut Pro 5.  If I sink them in the beginning of the concert to an inaudible difference and then find out if I am off near the end I can then change the speed consistently over the whole concert (both sound and video if need be) with one function...now it's just playing with the % near 100% to see where it lines up perfect...not too difficult.

You're assuming that the speed fluctuation will be continuous, last the entire show, & not fluctuate + and -.  Each of these variables will defeat your stated method.
Usually the combination is aud & sbd matrix.  And even then it can be a nightmare.  I have 1 Mick Taylor show that had to be checked & corrected at 1-3 minute intervals when it was done.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 11:29:16 PM »
When you say two of everything, do you mean mics too?  Or are you going to be using 4 mics (a stereo pair per recorder)?  Might want to re-think that angle if you're not using stereo pairs.

Synchronization of two sources is not as easy as you think.  Take it from someone who does it a LOT (and happens to be in the middle of a DVD multitrack video project as I type this...)

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 10:55:03 AM »
If I was running two rigs.  Put one person near the stacks to get a stack tape, and one person in the seet spot, to get more ambiance.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Aaron41

• Quack
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 10:59:02 AM »
get ready to lose lots of expensive gear to the band if caught.

I've heard about this incident. How can the band FORCE you to give them everything you have?
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 11:21:41 AM »

I've heard about this incident. How can the band FORCE you to give them everything you have?

Well, I guess it really just depends on how resistant you are, & how harsh security wants to be.  In an extreme case, it's always possible they could just kick your ass & take it.  Most arena security I've seen has never been very ugly though, they're usually OK.  Clubs are often the worst.

“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 11:45:28 AM »

Well, I guess it really just depends on how resistant you are, & how harsh security wants to be.  In an extreme case, it's always possible they could just kick your ass & take it.  Most arena security I've seen has never been very ugly though, they're usually OK.  Clubs are often the worst.

I saw some venue security beat the shit out of a naked dude at the one and only Phish show I ever went to...

I pulled a stack tape at U2 in Detroit, and I think it rox, fwiw...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 12:25:35 PM »
I would run one rig forward and one backward about 5 ft from each other in the center. Then pull a surround out in post.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 07:23:11 PM »
I saw some venue security beat the shit out of a naked dude at the one and only Phish show I ever went to...

That's that peace vibe the scene was known for ::)

And how much of a threat could a naked guy have been? ???

Offline johnnyb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 07:52:45 PM »
Msg is hit or miss with sound, but ga on the floor would be the best spot
R9 Dpa 4061 Hebs-CA Cards-CA 9100 Preamp

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 11:08:17 PM »
I am going to record u2 at madison square garden in November.   I have 2 of everything.  I will mix the sound post production.  Where would be the best 2 spots to record sound in this venue do you think?

I was told the center is best because the mix is geared for that area.  Although I can have a man on the right and left and mix later.   Or I may just have a center recording and a side recording and listen to it later to see how to mix it.   Everything is audience recording that I am doing (so no sound board).  Also mics are professional grade and so is recorder (recording at 24 bit).

Thx for any help-

You must be the Noah of taping; do you keep two of everything in a wooden ark?   :D

Best way to tape would be to have two mics in one location as others have suggested.

BobW

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 11:13:08 PM »
MSG sound may be the worst that ever was and will be short of a small round college gymn.

I think about 20 feet from stage DFC running ORTF or OSS(jecklin) would be the best possible.
Or maybe a one stack pull from a farside (it's a mono PA)  thinking the more front sound and less reflected, the better.

If you go any distance, hypers or shotguns would be a must.

Stay far away from the overhangs

GOOD LUCK !!!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 11:19:24 PM »
msg sound can actually be pretty good, but it can definitely suck, too

give me the tix and i'll make a tape :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com