Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 12v / USB Power for MT or other - 18 hrs and it ran out($50 project)  (Read 2424 times)

Offline branas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Ok, so I needed to setup something quick for 10klf and I didn't want to spend a ton of cash. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions out there but I just tested this last night (started taping at 11:00pm Eastern on July 12th) and it just died (5:00pm Eastern on the 13th).

The main things you will need to purchase are:

$29.99 - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2118098&cp=2032056.2032152

$7.49 - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103589&cp=2032056.2032136.2032154&pg=2&allCount=62&fbn=Brand%2FRadioShack&f=Brand%2F1000094%2F&fbc=1&parentPage=family

$12.99 - (or anything like this) http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~605134.asp

You will also need a few feet of 12v wire, some electrical tape or heat shrink tubing, and two crimp plugs to attach to the battery (see picture at bottom)

Settings on the MT are:

Backlight on, Preamps set on High, Preamps dialed all the way up (it is quiet at night), MP3 (this was so it would keep rolling for a long time so if it died I could check the file length). NO PHANTOM POWER. The reason why I did it with no phantom power is because I will be running C1000's with internal phantom power. I might try tonight to use phantom power and see how long it lasts.

Anyways, I hope this may help someone in a pinch. I realize it ain't pretty, but it's quite functional! Also, please beware that this battery needs to be trickle charged at 2.1 amps or less. I use a "Vector VEC1087C" 2/6/10 amp portable charger (very small, intelligent charger - http://www.directdepot.net/product_info.php?products_id=1186).

Would love to hear suggestions / criticisms / etc.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 06:11:55 PM by branas »
Mobile - C414B-XLS/ST->V3->744T
Home/Studio - Various Mics->RNP/Vintech Dual72/Focusrite OctoPre->Digi002->ProToolsLE

J.T.L

...make a permanent connection to the battery so you dont reverse them in the dark at a time when you lost your flashlight and cant see the color cables right and your rushing because the band is coming out so you jack them in wrong and bam! a funny smell is rising from your D7 and youre sweating trying to figure out why your deck wont power up only to have your buddy say dude, you plugged your battery backwards...that sucks! only to think to yourself yup that does asshat!

...and maybe add an inline fuse.

Offline branas

• Taperssection Regular
Yeah, not a bad idea at all, thanks. BTW, I changed the title, it has now been running for 17.5 hours, still going....
Mobile - C414B-XLS/ST->V3->744T
Home/Studio - Various Mics->RNP/Vintech Dual72/Focusrite OctoPre->Digi002->ProToolsLE

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
...make a permanent connection to the battery so you dont reverse them in the dark at a time when you lost your flashlight and cant see the color cables right and your rushing because the band is coming out so you jack them in wrong and bam! a funny smell is rising from your D7 and youre sweating trying to figure out why your deck wont power up only to have your buddy say dude, you plugged your battery backwards...that sucks! only to think to yourself yup that does asshat!

...and maybe add an inline fuse.

So true....

:realhappy:
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com