Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: similar replacement recorder for Tascam DR-08?  (Read 2541 times)

Offline geekroick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
similar replacement recorder for Tascam DR-08?
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »
Hi folks,

For the past few years I've been taping shows with a Tascam DR-08 and its internal mics, which have always sounded great to me.

(Here's a Ben Kweller show I recorded from the front row, the DR-08 in a shirt pocket: http://archive.org/details/BK2012-05-09.MontoWaterRats )

Anyway, I went to a show last week, took out the recorder to begin taping the night's performances, and it froze up when I turned it on. Never had a single issue with it in all the time I've had it and all the shows I've taped with it. Took the batteries out, replaced them, it booted up and froze and soon as I hit the record button.

Now I still can't get any further than the opening boot screen, so I think the poor little thing is a goner for good.

I went online right away to seek out a replacement and wouldn't you know it, the damn thing has been discontinued by Tascam and replaced with other recorders that are twice the size and lacking the amazing dual-axis built-in mics that have made the DR-08 such a pleasure to use. If an example of technology going backwards is needed, this is most definitely it!

Zoom's H2 looks like a decent enough replacement but of course has fixed position mics, and it's about twice as thick as the DR-08.

Can anybody recommend something good? At this rate I'm tempted to cannibalise the mics from the DR-08 and mount them on clips or something, none of the other Tascam, Zoom, Roland etc recorders really appeal to me and they're all far too big.

Thanks!

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: similar replacement recorder for Tascam DR-08?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »
Similar: Teac VR-20 Portable Recorder. I have the Dr-08, and this may not be identical, but it's close.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »
Sweet...never enough internal mic from the shirt pocket recordings :P

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »
 ;D  Good one!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com