Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCM-M10 - problems with the settings  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Rock_forever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
PCM-M10 - problems with the settings
« on: September 06, 2014, 06:06:50 AM »
Bought an M10 just recently and recorded my first two shows with it this week. From what I heard the recordings came out good but (by chance) I noticed something which I really don't get. Maybe someone can help:

-it seems that some of the settings I did are not permament. Before recording the second show I checked them again and I noticed that the function "memory" which I had set on "memory card" had gone back to "built-in-memory" so I re-set it again to memory card and the next day it was b-i-m again. Also the date in the display was totally gone - no more infos about yy-mm-dd.

Has any one got an explanation for this or maybe had the same experience ? Did I overlook anything ?

Many thanks for your help.

Rock_forever

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: PCM-M10 - problems with the settings
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »
Not sure about your date issue, but when you pull the microSD card out of the M10, it switches to internal memory. Make your transfer, put the card back in and it's still set to internal.

If you power off the M10 before you remove the card and keep it off until the card is returned, you should be fine.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »
The manual says that the clock will reset if the batteries are removed for more than 3 minutes.

If you are following the manual recommendation to remove the batteries if you will not be using the recorder for an extended period of time, this might be your issue.

I'm guessing that most of us avoid issues simply by connecting the M10 to the computer and copying files rather than removing the card. Also leave the batteries in when not using the recorder.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 11:35:29 PM »
The manual says that the clock will reset if the batteries are removed for more than 3 minutes.

If you are following the manual recommendation to remove the batteries if you will not be using the recorder for an extended period of time, this might be your issue.

I'm guessing that most of us avoid issues simply by connecting the M10 to the computer and copying files rather than removing the card. Also leave the batteries in when not using the recorder.
even if you leave the batteries in, it is a well established issue
You need to let the recorder goto sleep and in turn it will keep the date. Personally I just hit the stop key and bypass setting it over and over again because I am not going to waste battery power letting it sleep and don't record enought to justify it either
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Rock_forever

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 05:24:10 AM »
Not sure about your date issue, but when you pull the microSD card out of the M10, it switches to internal memory. Make your transfer, put the card back in and it's still set to internal.

If you power off the M10 before you remove the card and keep it off until the card is returned, you should be fine.

I didn't pull the card out, neither did I remove the batteries. I just switched the recorder off after the concert and switched it on the next day.......that's all and the settings I mentioned were gone !

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:21:34 AM »
Maybe the sd card is in backwards and m10 doesnt see it?

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:38 AM »
There are lots of experienced M-10 users here and I think you've received the most common explanations for the issues.  If you want something more definitive, well, you may be out of luck.

I've had my time be reset once or twice in the years I've owned mine and I just chalk it up to happenstance.  As long as I don't take the AA batteries out of mine, it seems to be okay almost all of the time.  I am in the habit of checking the memory source since when I remove my microSD card, the recorder is not off, it is just in sleep mode and it definitely defaults back to the built-in-memory. But, I format my card each time, so this is just part of my workflow.

I think as willndmb notes, the key is not turning it off, but letting it go to sleep.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:55:33 AM »
Also, if you really want to read all there is to that we know about the M-10, there are 175 pages in the M-10 discussion threads - the last part is here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=160902.0

But, I suggest you start at the beginning (going back more than 5 years): http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=124639.0

Here is the clock fix issue solution: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=146385.0

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »
Just one word of warning which I'm sure most people here know full well, but I'll repeat it just in case: If batteries are left in a recorder for a very long time, they may leak and release corrosive chemicals that can cause serious damage.

Batteries left in any appliance should be checked every now and then for signs of leakage. Even if they don't leak, after a while such batteries should be tested and if necessary, replaced.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 09:49:28 AM »
I have a big problem with my Sony PCM-M10, that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.  I've been using it without incident for quite some time and have never had a problem...until now.  Saturday night, I used it to record a three set show.  No problems.  Everything was shut down and carefully packed as it always is.  Sunday morning I removed the card to empty it, reinserted it and proceeded to turn the deck on to reset for the memory card, but when I turned it on, nothing.  Power was clearly there, the access LED even blinks, but all I have is a black screen with what appears to be a thin frame around the edge in the normal orange color.  Nothing works!  If I press the record button, no record light and the pause doesn't blink.  If I press the play button, it lights up...so I plugged in headphones and there was a recording on it that was playing back (from over a year ago when I first got it and didn't know I had to switch over the memory!).  As I listened in amazement that something was working, I noticed the display screen go on, and then off again, and stayed off.  The volume switch was not allowing me to adjust the the volume up or down.  In fact, none of the other buttons or functions worked.  Batteries, by the way, are good, but I tried plugging it in anyway (and of course removed the batteries in hopes of a simple reset).  Well, it turned out that the internal memory was full, so I hooked the deck up to the computer and emptied it.  After clearing the memory, I turned it off, then back on again.  Once on, after a few seconds, the display blinked on for about a second, then went off again.  The difference is, now the play button light won't go on if pressed (probably because there's nothing to play) but the record light will, and the pause button blinks as normal...but still no LED display.  Here's a fun piece of info, the peak lights seem to be functioning fine, and after a minute or three, the display went on!  Levels and all (from the internal mics)...but will not remain on.  I've turned it off and back on again a few times.  I was even able to see and set the memory card.  The battery level shows full bars.  The display will go on and off like it's got a mind of it's own, but mostly stays off.  What the fuck?  Has this happened to anyone else?   :facepalm:
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.386 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com