Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mytek ADC anyone?  (Read 7878 times)

Offline rich

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Mytek ADC anyone?
« on: August 11, 2008, 11:17:13 AM »
I have a buddy who swears on these AD converters.  I have read some pretty stellar reviews as well.  However, all of the shows I have managed to find taped with the mytek ad box, well they dont sound all that great.  In fact, to my ears they sound rather dark and boxed in...and that was using schoeps mk4's.  Does anyone have any experience running one of these?  Many thanks.

rich
sweeet beaver!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mytek ADC anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:36:43 AM »
Scott Schneider on the CO Crue uses a mytek and gets great results.  He pairs it with DPAs, either 4022 or 4027.

He uploads frequently to the Archive -- do a search on "Scott Schneider Mytek" (no quotes) and you'll find a bunch of stuff you can take a listen to.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:21:09 PM »
  In fact, to my ears they sound rather dark and boxed in...
rich

just means that the mytek box is transparent little or no coloration. Which is good, the benchmark adc has a soft hf boost

Offline rich

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »
thanks guys for the prompt reply. 

rich
sweeet beaver!

Offline brianp

• Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 05:58:12 PM »
I have a buddy who swears on these AD converters.  I have read some pretty stellar reviews as well.  However, all of the shows I have managed to find taped with the mytek ad box, well they dont sound all that great.  In fact, to my ears they sound rather dark and boxed in...and that was using schoeps mk4's.  Does anyone have any experience running one of these?  Many thanks.

rich

Love my Mytek. You're probably talking about my recordings. Not too many people run these, I can only think of two other people and they both run DPA's. I think the Mytek has an Apogee kind of sound, very warm with lots of punch.

here's a link to some recordings on my archive bookmark page if you want to check any out:

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/B_Porter
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 08:41:08 AM »
I also run one, and while I have a number of recordings up at the Archive, they're almost all of the aud/sbd matrix variety with two different preamp>ADC chains, though with the Mytek serving as master clock.  Point is you wouldn't be able to get a good feel for just the Mytek sound that way, unfortunately.  However, I've done a number of acoustic choral and instrumental recordings with MG200>DAV BG1>Mytek192 chain, and it's really stellar.  I can't say I've A-B'd Benchmark and Mytek myself, but I talked with a couple of folks who had before I bought this (and reported favorably on the Mytek), and I know I'll be keeping this unit for a long, long time.

The only thing I dislike (and I didn't investigate how the Benchmark handles this) is having to open it up and move two jumpers when I want to switch from balanced to unbalanced inputs.  A couple of times I've had to put this unit in the sbd side of my matrix (usually I keep it paired with my Gefells and the DAV) and if the only output I can get is the RCA tape out . . .  Otherwise, it's great.

Don't Scott Brown and Teddy run Myteks, or at least have had experience with them?

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
I used to have a Mytek Stereo96 ADC in my home studio. I didn't notice much difference compared to the V3 ADC, so I sold it a while back. 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 12:23:29 AM »
I used to have a Mytek Stereo96 ADC in my home studio. I didn't notice much difference compared to the V3 ADC, so I sold it a while back. 

http://www.mytekdigital.com/products/stereo192adc.htm

The main differences between Stereo192ADC and Stereo96ADC are:

-    up to 192k operation (for playback at 192k check Stereo96DAC or 8X192 ADDA)
-    ability to work on Battery Power

-    ultra hi-end audiophile grade front end featuring large solid state capacitors (instead of electrolytics)
-     Trimpots/knob switchable on front panel
-     No 16/20 bit output (only 24)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:12:47 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 01:49:39 PM »
Yeah, but even the Mytek guys admitted there wasn't that much difference sonically between the 96ADC & the 192ADC.

I just expected more from a dedicated A/D device compared to a preamp/AD combo (i.e. the V3).

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 02:33:21 PM »
the 96 and 192 have different adc chips

i run the 192.  it's great.  very clean

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 06:13:03 PM »

The only thing I dislike (and I didn't investigate how the Benchmark handles this) is having to open it up and move two jumpers when I want to switch from balanced to unbalanced inputs. 

benchmark doesnt discriminate between balanced and unbalanced, thats done in cabling. if youre thinking of input sensitivity, thats set from a switch on the front of the unit to go from +24 (typical balanced pro signal) to +14 (approaching typical unbalanced signal max output)
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 09:43:27 PM »
Yeah, but even the Mytek guys admitted there wasn't that much difference sonically between the 96ADC & the 192ADC.

I just expected more from a dedicated A/D device compared to a preamp/AD combo (i.e. the V3).

stereo 96 uses CS5396

stereo 192 uses AK 5394

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »
I run Mytek 8x192ADDA's in my studio and have been nothing but happy with them.  The only slight complaint I have regarding the boxes is the techincal support.  From a sonic perspective only however, I love em.
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »

Howdy,

I have tried unsuccessfully SEVERAL times over the past 3 months to contact KindKables to order/purchase an external battery cable to power my Stereo192ADC.  Can anyone recommend an alternate source for this power cable?  Will Mytek construct and supply them?

Just heard from Ed @ KindKables - the cable will be in the works this week!!  Thanks Ed!!

thanks,

;D

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:36:13 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com