Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FR2 / PMD 670 users...speak out!  (Read 11242 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
FR2 / PMD 670 users...speak out!
« on: September 17, 2004, 11:27:12 AM »
Hey now folks...

i'm getting ready to plunk down for one of these two units.  I know all the specs and possible modifications that are offered by the Oades.  I've got Carls' W-MOD FR2 at my disposal to play with.

I"m really wanting to hear from the Martantz PMD670 users in here.  What do you think of it?
While i'd rather have 24bit capability....I dont think it justifiies the $1,000 difference in price tag once all is said and done between these two devices.  I think 24/96 is better, no doubt.  But i'm not unhappy listening to 16bit redbook standards either.

The Marantz goes for as little as $650.  I understand that Doug recomends an upgrade that lowers the distortion levels or something, making it perform better as a PA recording device.  Given its 16bit limitations, I'm thinking I can get away with 1-2gb CF cards or just a single 5gb PCMCIA card as storage.  Bringing this up to around $800. 
It seems as though it runs for a long time on 8 AA cells, and i've got tons of 1800mAh NiMH doube As so I would be all set here.    Buying from the Oades w/whatever MOD doug has for it should still keep this in the under $900 ball park I would assume.  Anyone know better?  Anyone have one of these Oade mod PMDs ?

The FR2, modd'd would be in the $1600 range.  Plus another $250 for a pair of 5gb PCMCIA cards to allow 24bit recording...which I would do.  But for this kind of money, i"d honestly rather wait until the 722 becomes a retail reality.  Plus, I find it a little bulky.  And it would require me to carry lead around to power it.  Another big negative to me.  I would guess that it sounds superior after Doug gets his hands on those preamps, but honestly I love the sound of my mics so much that anything that offers little in the way of coloration gets my vote.

So i'm looking for opinions.  Especialy you Marantz users.  what do you think?  Ease of use?  Real life record times on its 8 AAs ?  Size, portability, rugged? 

inquiring minds want to know.

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: FR2 / PMD 670 users...speak out!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 07:12:33 PM »
FR-2 good.
removeable HD good. No transfers, just swap it to DAW, via USB2.0 dock.
MOD good. (I like a T on the recording side, though I have a "W" headphone amp - a Pimeta PPA)

All IMHO, of course.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 04:27:49 PM »
yea, the FR2 rocks.
Doug has offered an "O mod" for me, which is the cheapest mod of them all....some sort of overload modification.  These things brickwall stock?  Not sure what the intention of the overload mod is, but i'll have the ability to send it back for further tweaking if I buy through Doug.  So that is a good thing.  Its just more dough than I really want to spend.  Then throw in at least one 5gb PCMCIA drive ....ugh!

The Marantz has my interest more due to price and battery options.  Doug says its pale sounding comparred to the FR2 in 16bit mode.  Lots of crap circuits that the mic pre input routes through on its way to the A/D chip.  Running line in gives you a fairly direct path...and he thinks the A/D stage is pretty solid.  The mod he offers for this will make it sound the equivilant of a P1.  I need more than that though.....so thats a bummer.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 11:14:49 AM »
This past week I ran quite a bit Gefell 210->straight to the t-mod FR-2.  The sound is fantastic, and quite frankly I have never in all of my life heard a soundstage like the one I do when running mic into the fr-2.  It doesn't have the presence of the mini-mp which I enjoy, and for such reason I will keep the mini-mp as well, but the sound is just huge, detailed, slightly warm, pretty much everything I wanted and then some.  I can msn message you some tapes if tyou want to hear them.  If you have any specific questions, e-mail me at daryan.v.lenz.nv8n@statefarm.com, as I am rarely around these parts!

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 11:40:02 AM »
yea, the FR2 rocks.
Doug has offered an "O mod" for me, which is the cheapest mod of them all....some sort of overload modification.  These things brickwall stock?  Not sure what the intention of the overload mod is, but i'll have the ability to send it back for further tweaking if I buy through Doug.  So that is a good thing.  Its just more dough than I really want to spend.  Then throw in at least one 5gb PCMCIA drive ....ugh!

The Marantz has my interest more due to price and battery options.  Doug says its pale sounding comparred to the FR2 in 16bit mode.  Lots of crap circuits that the mic pre input routes through on its way to the A/D chip.  Running line in gives you a fairly direct path...and he thinks the A/D stage is pretty solid.  The mod he offers for this will make it sound the equivilant of a P1.  I need more than that though.....so thats a bummer.

I agree..  I have been running a P1's a/d stage for a while(v2>line in P1) and dont get me wrong.. it sounds "pretty good"..  but I wouldnt move up to something in the marantz price range and go solid state unless it was an improvement over the P1's a/d, which is a tad grainy, but acceptable..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 12:42:24 PM »

Just run a pre & ad in front of it, unless you were shooting for less gear ... FWIW, I have been thinking of going the Marantz route for quite some time now, see no need to go 24 bit as I don't even own a dvd player, heh and 16 bit works for me, then again it would be even cheaper to go JB3 ... blah blah blah ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 12:44:49 PM »
Nick:

Nothing direct to add, but at your pricepoint why not run a modded ua5->jb3?  OR, get a pdm670 and use it un-modded behind a ua5 (or other pre/ad) solely as a digital storage device?  The BIG advantages I see with the pdm670 over the jb3 as a digital storage device are a) coax digital in and b) METERS (nice meters @ that) -- got to play with one that was patched out of my tmod ua5 at grisman -- the meters are a definite plus!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 07:11:41 PM »
i went the way of the fr2.....

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 09:37:03 AM »
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 10:14:45 AM »
has anyone tried the fr-2 at 24/192?  is it reliable?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 11:46:49 AM »
i went the way of the fr2.....

mod?

Just the O mod.  I wanted to hear it stock before contemplating the T mod.  The W mod probably wouldnt be my first choice w/my AKG c414s.  they are warm sounding on their own.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 09:44:46 AM »
The fr-2 records flawlessly at 24/192 on sd discs only!  And, not to mention that the only ones it will reliably do this on are the "industrial type" discs, which range in price from 400-1000 dollars per disc.  Likely the toshiba drives will begin to support these rates within the next year, but not until, and at this price, it just isn't really feasible at the moment for most of us.  Also, the fr-2 only supports 192 using the analog in only, not digital.  I hope this helps and if you have questions, I will try my best to answerr them.  I have a direct contact at fostex from Japan who answers all of my specifics!

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 10:16:16 AM »
growl.  the fact that it doesnt record 24/192 via an digi in bothers me.  oh well, guess it is time to wait for the 744. 

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 12:35:43 PM »
Yeah, I don't really understand the innerworkings of the unit enough to explain why!  Jonny, I will shoot Doug an e-mail and try to find out for you, and more importantly, if there is a way around this.  With the t-mod, my feeling is once you got to use it, you may not care though, it really is that good!  Trust your ears...
Daryan

jpschust

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 01:06:58 PM »
i've got the exact sound i want right now.  i don't want any other mods, changes updates or upgrades at the moment, i just want a digi in 24/192 recording device.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com