Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Warning signs before an AD1000 word clock goes kafluey ?  (Read 11195 times)

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Warning signs before an AD1000 word clock goes kafluey ?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 04:33:01 PM »
Hey Xpanding Man,

Do you know anyone with a V3? I have an experiment for you. Get a BNC connector and set the AD1K up to sync from a WC rather than the crystal. Use the V3 as a preamp and pass the WC output from the V3 into the AD1K as input.

I'm curious if this would fix the drop out problem.

I'm also interested in hearing if anyone who has an AD1K with a bad WC could try this too. It may be possible that a V3 could be used to salvage an old AD1K....

I was just rereading the AD1K manual for the first time in a couple years and the above thought seems like it's possible.

-e

hmmmmm, +t for a nifty idea.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 11:53:08 AM »
e,

i know one guy locally with a V3....you really think this could work ?   i would certainly love to keep this thing, it's like music to my ears hehe
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline ethan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 11:58:03 AM »
e,

i know one guy locally with a V3....you really think this could work ?   i would certainly love to keep this thing, it's like music to my ears hehe

You should try it. I really think it could work the more I think about it. You'll need to set the Sync dip switcht to 75 Ohm Term.

I'm in the process of looking for a unit which is known to have just a bad word clock. Of course there are plenty of other things that can go wrong with AD1K's.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Professor chaos

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Bringer of distuction and disorder."
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 10:54:26 PM »
i don't understand why you would need an AD-1000 if you had a V3?
Microtech Gefell SMS 2000 M20/m21->Oade M148/248->Korg MR-1000/Sony PCM M-10

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2005, 12:13:15 AM »

AD1K's AD 0wnz!

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2005, 12:42:43 PM »
Hey now, my AD1000 has been acting a little weird.  last gig, i looked down to notice that the signal lights were sweeping as if it were trying to find the signal and lock in, which it failed to do until i turned the unit off and on again.   thing is, this happened DURING a recording, so it was fine to start the set, and then lost signal and couldn't find it until the unit was reset off/on.  we wound up losing a (if i may say so myself) darn fine rendition of bela's 'lover's leap'

i have a feeling this might be because it was jostled by the other guitar player's foot, and i'm hoping to never see that fuitle signal-searching light activity again....i am curious if this is a warning of things to come....is word clock failure inevitable, or probable ?  and does it go without warning out of the blue, or is it a gradual thing (with things like this to tell you that it's almost time to think about a V3 )  ?

this is the first time i've had any issues with my adk....any input is appreciated.

+T to the word kafluey. I havent heard that in years! :D

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2005, 02:49:59 PM »
Anyhow, I got an AD1K from Mic D (+T to Mic D again) last month and have taped with it 4 times with good results. Having run V2 > MMe V2 > SBM-1 and V3 I am 2000% certain that the AD1K is the sound I'm looking for and have missed since my last one broke Dec 03.

So the whole point behind buying a V3 is it comes with an balance preamp out and a word clock out. The AD1K's most common failure is the internal crystal word clock. So there is a chance that it's possible to sync the AD1K with the WC out of the V3. If this is possible then it means that people that want to get the AD1K sound can salvage many inoperable AD1K's by buying V3's. The resulting rig would be essentially identical to running V2 > AD1K.

I really need to get some expriments done.

-e

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 01:47:42 AM »

many people feel that the a/d in the ad1000 and the ad500e are superior to the a/d in the V3....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 07:36:17 AM »
superior....?
questionable.

prefferable....certainly.
its got a certain sound to it, no doubt. 

I've got one handy, and I really enjoy the sound when I use it.  though..that is rare.
I seldom feel a need to carry an additional 10lbs

Its staggers...and just sitting getting dusty.  works SO WELL w/the JB3 !!
I keep it on hand in case.....and he has never really pushed to sell it.  maybe someday he will want something for it.  we all know its worth little.  Such a shame too...it sounds real sweet.
but as those lights sweep around...searching....every time I start it up, i've had moments of fear at every use.

Offline Tim

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 11:42:38 AM »
I personally feel that it is sonically superior to any of the new generation a/d's...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2005, 11:57:56 AM »
I personally feel that it is sonically superior to any of the new generation a/d's...

And that's the point...everyones ears are different. I've been taping long enough to know what I like. Everyone should strive to make tapes that sound good to them.

Now it's hard to put to words and I can only compare rigs I've run mostly because I remember how it sounded in the room that night vs. hearing it for the first time on tape. The few times I borrowed a V3 I've made some decent tapes extremely crisp mid's and high's with lots of contrast but the low end although there didn't have an enveloping warmth. The MMe on the other hand has exactly what I like in the low end but the mid's and high's sound blurry to me I don't hear the contrast I like with the V3. For me the Apogee gives me both in propportions I find pleasing. As for the SBM-1 I've run...I'll just leave it at that.

-e

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 03:12:11 PM »
hmmm...
V3's ANSR output vs. AD1K UV22HR output

thats a tough one.  i'm pretty familiar with both, and like each of them for totaly different reasons.
as a one box stop, the V3 all the way.  but for pure sonics........tough call.
i think the V3 sounds more realistic.

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2005, 03:30:42 PM »
I agree.

Offline jacallery

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2005, 09:07:15 PM »
I have an old ADK that I think the wordclock is going.  Takes forever to lock on a sample rate,
and when it does it loses it and starts scrolling for a sync constantly.  I'd be willing to lend it for a test.
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2005, 12:27:47 AM »
I have an old ADK that I think the wordclock is going.  Takes forever to lock on a sample rate,
and when it does it loses it and starts scrolling for a sync constantly.  I'd be willing to lend it for a test.

Perfect! Where ya at?

-e

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com