Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which do you prefer?

I prefer A
I prefer B
I like both cannot tell the difference
I like both I can tell the difference
Don't like any sound

Author Topic: Schoeps CCM2S > V3 > MT vs. MR-1  (Read 12107 times)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps CCM2S > V3 > MT vs. MR-1
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 10:35:06 PM »
The fact that so many of us who prefered B (I was one) noted that it was, ideed, very close, says a great deal aboutt he quality of the MR-1.

-Noah

i didnt like A at all. /ducks
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 11:07:23 PM »
Just got time to listen a few times tonight before checking the thread & finding results.  I found testing 1 clean and sharp sounding with more transient on the attack of the notes, which sounded more immediate & 'real' to me the first time through.  But I quickly began to become attracted to the seemingly richer spaciousness and depth in the the reverbish tail of the notes in testing 2.  After going back and forth a few times I was swayed towards testing 2 more & more.  Seemed smoother. 

As for which was which I guessed the opposite :-\, though I really had nothing on which to base that assumption.

Thanks, for putting this up.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 12:06:58 PM »
So the v3 a/d beat out the MR-1 3:1...  The r09 was preferred over the v3 a/d 3:1 in one comp we did (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84330.30.html).

Here's another v3 vs. r09 comp.. If the r09 beats the v3 a/d again, does that mean the r09 sounds better than the mr1?  ;) :P

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84616.0.html

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2007, 01:04:21 PM »
So the v3 a/d beat out the MR-1 3:1...  The r09 was preferred over the v3 a/d 3:1 in one comp we did (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84330.30.html).

Here's another v3 vs. r09 comp.. If the r09 beats the v3 a/d again, does that mean the r09 sounds better than the mr1?  ;) :P

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84616.0.html

There has been a lot of ink as well as bandwidth spent about the issue that when people are comparing audio and expect to hear a difference, they will hear a difference even when there is none (false +)

A better comparison design would have been to complicate the test by including a third and a 4th file, which are simply a copy of another, so that you don't know if any 2 files are really different.

(It would also reduce placebo/suggestion effect, IMVHO, not to preface the comparison with tantalizing comments about needing very sensitive ears or that the result is quite impressive.)

Noam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2007, 01:07:57 PM »
A better comparison design would have been to complicate the test by including a third and a 4th file, which are simply a copy of another, so that you don't know if any 2 files are really different.

(It would also reduce placebo/suggestion effect, IMVHO, not to preface the comparison with tantalizing comments about needing very sensitive ears or that the result is quite impressive.)

Doesn't listening in an ABX environment address these concerns (at least the first)?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2007, 01:12:12 PM »

A fine idea but I think it is already a challenge to get sufficient numbers of folks participating in comps (hence mentioning it in this thread). I think placebo's would erode interest.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2007, 01:52:16 PM »
Since I also have the R-09...I'm planning to do another poll in the near future using these:

MT, R-09 and MR-1

This time I might use my DPA4060>MMA6000 instead because this combo is more popular and affordable to many tapers and can give a good comparison for anyone consider purchasing any of these recorders/mics/preamp.

I know all 3 recorders are different...So I think the best thing to do is to set my MT, R-09 and MR-1 @ 24/48 and an extra track with my MR-1 @ DFF (DSD). That will give us 4 tracks to compare. That will really be interesting to see the final poll results  ;D

and obviously using one editing program (SF8) to convert all PCM 24/48 to 16/44.1 (and using AG to do the DFF to 16/44.1)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 01:55:45 PM by scyue »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2007, 03:48:56 PM »
Since I also have the R-09...I'm planning to do another poll in the near future using these:

MT, R-09 and MR-1

This time I might use my DPA4060>MMA6000 instead because this combo is more popular and affordable to many tapers and can give a good comparison for anyone consider purchasing any of these recorders/mics/preamp.

I know all 3 recorders are different...So I think the best thing to do is to set my MT, R-09 and MR-1 @ 24/48 and an extra track with my MR-1 @ DFF (DSD). That will give us 4 tracks to compare. That will really be interesting to see the final poll results  ;D

and obviously using one editing program (SF8) to convert all PCM 24/48 to 16/44.1 (and using AG to do the DFF to 16/44.1)

I'm very interested in this potential comp. I primarily run 4060>MMA6000>R-09 & have been considering another recorder, both for my other rig (ADKTL>V3>?) & for backup.  I'm considering all three of these options as well as others.  I'm sure 16/44.1 is best for many here, but I'd prefer to hear the 24/48 files as well since that's the format I use for both recording & playback.

I suppose it's time for me to finally load the ABX software to eliminate any self-bias.
Thanks again for doing these comps! Plus tee to you scyue.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 03:52:40 PM »
Do the results dissapear once the poll is locked?  I know the general consensus from reading the thread, but I'd like to see the results.

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 03:54:04 PM »
The results don't appear until you've voted. If you didn't vote before the poll is locked, I'm not sure what happens but they display for me.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
The results don't appear until you've voted.

That's as it should be.

If you didn't vote before the poll is locked, I'm not sure what happens but they display for me.

I didn't get a chance to listen & vote before lockage.  It appears the results are then permanently unavailable for non-voters.  :-\ Hey helpful admins, I'd like to suggest making the results appear for everyone once a poll is locked if possible.  I can't think of a good reason why not.

Offline firebaugh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • NOLA Underground
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »
Do the results dissapear once the poll is locked?  I know the general consensus from reading the thread, but I'd like to see the results.

I prefer A     - 5 (22.7%)
I prefer B    - 14 (63.6%)
I like both cannot tell the difference    - 2 (9.1%)
I like both I can tell the difference    - 0 (0%)
Don't like any sound    - 1 (4.5%)

Total Voters: 22
M-Audio Pulsar II > UA-5 Oade wmod > R-09 (temp)
Soundboard > ST-9100 v.3 > Tascam DR-07

"When anybody asks me 'what kind of music I play' I say depression era metal." - Scott H. Biram

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com