Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Line in D8 level limit?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Arglebargle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Line in D8 level limit?
« on: August 29, 2003, 05:17:48 PM »
Hey all, just curious, I usually run a AD20 in front of my deck but for some shows that I know won't come out all that spectacular to begin with, and it's stealth only, I plan on leaving the AD20 home and saving some hassle. Does the 12 decibal limit to levels before it sounds like crap rule on a D8 apply only to mic in or is both line and mic in? I'll be running line in and I'm not sure if I should run it as hot as I'm used to running it with the AD20. I hope that makes sense!

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
Re:Line in D8 level limit?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 07:48:05 PM »
don't be a wuss stealth that ad-20
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Tim

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2003, 12:12:56 PM »
Hey all, just curious, I usually run a AD20 in front of my deck but for some shows that I know won't come out all that spectacular to begin with, and it's stealth only, I plan on leaving the AD20 home and saving some hassle. Does the 12 decibal limit to levels before it sounds like crap rule on a D8 apply only to mic in or is both line and mic in? I'll be running line in and I'm not sure if I should run it as hot as I'm used to running it with the AD20. I hope that makes sense!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but if you're talking levels then no matter if you run mic or line-in you are not using all 16bits at your disposal if you run at -12db

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2003, 12:29:34 PM »
If you are running line in or mic in and the music is loud, use your pad on your d8 to reduce the incoming level.  This will help avoid brickwalling and therefore clipping but still allow you to run your levels hot enough to peak at -2 or 0 dB.  
If you are peaking at the 12dB spot and you are saying it "starts to sound like crap" with the ADC, it seems like you should be using the pad on your d8 also.  It's often best to have the base of you levels try to be around 10-12 dB so that it peaks as close to 0 as possible without clipping.  

Are you finding your levels to look like they hit a wall at 12dB and not be vey dynamic?

Hope this helps

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Arglebargle

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2003, 05:39:40 PM »
Thanks for all your replies! I read something somewhere (User Manual perhaps) to always keep the peaks of the D8 at about 12 and never over or it would sound distorted. I taped Little Feat at the Cape Cod Melody Tent and since the sound there is so atrocious I figured the tape would just be a souvenir and not anything that I'd be proud to let loose so I left the AD20 home. I had to move my location several times due to the loud crowd around me and each time I was able to get closer, and the sound became louder, but I did not notice distortion when the levels went over 12. Next time I ever decide to leave the AD20 home I'll try running it hotter and see what happens. And while the tape does sound like crap it sounds just like you were there(no other distortion going on)!

Peace!

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2003, 04:58:27 PM »
Just out of curiosity...are you setting your levels with the ADC20 straight from the mics?  And then running digital into your d8?
Thanks
Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"

Offline Arglebargle

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2003, 05:22:27 PM »
The GP ADC20 is a different piece of equipment than the AD20. The AD20 is also commonly known as Zefiro Inbox, but in now made by Deneke. I don't know anything about the ADC20. But I do set my levels and go digital out with my AD20.

Edited to say I realize you probably know that already, I'm just confused by your question because I don't know of any other way to run it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2003, 05:48:03 PM by Arglebargle »

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2003, 01:12:51 AM »
Thanks for all your replies! I read something somewhere (User Manual perhaps) to always keep the peaks of the D8 at about 12 and never over or it would sound distorted.

Sounds fishy to me! Keep the peaks below 0, says my donkey sense... naturally!

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2003, 02:03:47 AM »
The manual does say 12. But you want to run higher than that.

I run hot as possible hitting around 4. leaving room for Daves bombs. ;)

You'll find where you like it.....just keep the peaks bellow 0.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2003, 04:13:01 PM »
The GP ADC20 is a different piece of equipment than the AD20. The AD20 is also commonly known as Zefiro Inbox, but in now made by Deneke. I don't know anything about the ADC20. But I do set my levels and go digital out with my AD20.

Edited to say I realize you probably know that already, I'm just confused by your question because I don't know of any other way to run it.
Yes, I misread that!  
It sounds like you're ok then!

Phil

Offline Arglebargle

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2003, 04:36:54 PM »
So the consensus is crank it up! Will do!!!!! Thanks!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2003, 03:44:05 PM »
If you are running line in or mic in and the music is loud, use your pad on your d8 to reduce the incoming level.

I believe the pad only works running mic-in.  But I could be wrong.  And yes...crank it up!  Just don't go over.   8)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com