Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tests: DR680-DR100mk2-H4n  (Read 1906 times)

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
tests: DR680-DR100mk2-H4n
« on: October 10, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »
New guy here (but a taping veteran)- We have a variety of gear here including a couple of SD722s, and I've attached PDFs of some Rightmark Audio Test results for 3 popular recorders, the Tascam DR60 and DR100mk2 and Zoom H4n.

For those not familiar with Rightmark, it's a free software automated testing program, using a computer's built-in sound card. Some people point out that there can be many problems with this technique, so take results with a grain of salt. It's not an Audio Precision.

Here I tested 24bit 96kHz XLR line-inputs. The resulting file is what Rightmark analyzes, so this means it's the recorder's A to D only. The major limitation is the quality of the soundcard used to generate the analog signals fed into the recorders, which in my case is a Digital Audio Labs (DAL) "CardDeluxe", which is a very good card. Since I'm testing the analog inputs, I have to manually adjust recording level and I try to get it within a couple of dB of 0dBFS. Then Rightmark with compensate a bit for its analysis.

I tested only the line-inputs, since I don't have a good way of testing mic preamps. The Zoom was troublesome because it's line-in is more sensitive than normal. I had to settle for setting the input level at half (50), and using the phone inputs unbalanced with an attenuated signal to hit 0dBFS. I can't explain the poor results since it was some time ago and I had to give the unit back. I usually run several tests to make sure I'm consistent. I've seen other tests of the Zoom show other high distortion figures.

I hope I have attachments here...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com