Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need advice on Sound Devices decision  (Read 3586 times)

Offline rstl99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Need advice on Sound Devices decision
« on: January 15, 2014, 06:16:02 PM »
Hi everyone.
I would like to modernize and improve my digital recording capabilities.
My recording needs:
1. Field recording: live music; ambient or natural sounds; interviews
2. In-house music recording (sound on sound, layering) and sound editing on my new Macbook Pro through USB

What I have now:
Decent dynamic and condenser microphones
Zoom H4n
Macbook Pro Retina (with SSD drive and two USB 3.0 ports)

Option 1:
a)Sound Devices 702 recorder (or used 744T which are pretty cheap now)
  - integrated and very sturdy solution
  - no easy connection to Macbook?

Option 2:
a)Sony D100 (when it comes out)
  - can be used standalone or with mics plugged into the following:
b)Sound Devices MixPre-D or USBPre-2 outboard 2 channel mic preamp with USB audio connection to PC
  - optical connection to D100
  - USB connection to Macbook
  - MixPre-D better for remote recording because of on-board batteries (USBPre-2 requires power supply)

Option 1 appeals to me because of the pro recorder and simplicity, but I would not be able to easily accomplish recording on the Macbook

Option 2 is more complicated, involves more components, but provides more flexibility, and is a bit cheaper than option 1

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re: Need advice on Sound Devices decision
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
The Sound Devices will not act as a mixer for your Macbook (i.e. will not directly pass through a 2 or 4 channel signal over firewire). You would have to record to the hard drive/flash and transfer the files to the macbook. In your case I would buy the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter ($30 from apple).

I would not want to take my macbook into a location where I would be recording, so I'd go with the 702/744. That said, if you're ok with it and only need 2 channels the other options are much cheaper.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline rstl99

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 10:39:40 PM »
The Sound Devices will not act as a mixer for your Macbook (i.e. will not directly pass through a 2 or 4 channel signal over firewire). You would have to record to the hard drive/flash and transfer the files to the macbook. In your case I would buy the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter ($30 from apple).

I would not want to take my macbook into a location where I would be recording, so I'd go with the 702/744. That said, if you're ok with it and only need 2 channels the other options are much cheaper.

Thanks John, that is helpful.  I'm a little new to Sound Devices so appreciate you clarifying the 702/744 audio interface with the Macbook.  That wouldn't work if I wanted to do overlay multi-track recording on the Mac, which means that if I want to do that, the USBPre2 may be a better approach, allowing me to have an audio interface to the Mac, and also to use with the D100 in the field if needed.  I wouldn't want to bring my mac on location either, which is why I was thinking of getting a D100 and using it either standalone, or plug external mics into it using USBPre2.

A 702 (or used 744T) would be nice to have though...  Nice and simple.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 01:04:21 AM »
Both the usbpre2 and the 7 series will operate in the field without a laptop, but the usbpre2 stands alone in offering you an interface if you wanted to record to your laptop.

I've used both setups (with a D50, but it's basically the same), and unless you have a reason (and there are some) for why you would need the extra robust nature of the 7 series setup, I'd pick the usbpre2>sony for two basic reasons. First, its cheaper, and second, you can use the usbpre2 as a DAC for your macbook to get better audio not only in recording, but also editing. Reasons to choose the 7 series are that you need a recorder that can survive in harsher elements, needs few connections/parts due to excess movement, or you need the security of redundant power options w/ fail over.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:49:14 AM »
If you have HQ mics, I would suggest the 7xx series. I ran one for many years, and its really the only piece of gear that Ive regretted ever selling that I still miss and wish I had another one! Id LOVE a used 744 since theyre getting so cheap :)

Best of luck, and leave your wallet at the door :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline rstl99

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »
Both the usbpre2 and the 7 series will operate in the field without a laptop, but the usbpre2 stands alone in offering you an interface if you wanted to record to your laptop.

I've used both setups (with a D50, but it's basically the same), and unless you have a reason (and there are some) for why you would need the extra robust nature of the 7 series setup, I'd pick the usbpre2>sony for two basic reasons. First, its cheaper, and second, you can use the usbpre2 as a DAC for your macbook to get better audio not only in recording, but also editing. Reasons to choose the 7 series are that you need a recorder that can survive in harsher elements, needs few connections/parts due to excess movement, or you need the security of redundant power options w/ fail over.

Thanks I think you've described the key elements very succinctly, and have helped focus my thoughts toward deciding between the two options.  In the case of the 744T (which can be had used for around $2300 now), I suppose another advantage is redundant recording for increased confidence (hard disk and CF card). 

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »
The MixPre-D has a USB port also. I have not used it on my PC but you might want to ask Digigal about using it with a Mac because I think she uses Mac. I started with an Edirol UA-25 and a laptop for shows. Now I feed my 661 with the MixPre-D.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 02:30:35 PM »

Thanks I think you've described the key elements very succinctly, and have helped focus my thoughts toward deciding between the two options.  In the case of the 744T (which can be had used for around $2300 now), I suppose another advantage is redundant recording for increased confidence (hard disk and CF card).

no problem.

I had a 722 years ago and used it for recordings where I absolutely positively had to have a recording and any lost recording would be a major setback (including battery fail over and redundant media). Now when I need just 2ch, it's usually not mission critical so we use the usbpre2 > d50 setup (and we pull out a different recorder with more channels for those critical gigs).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.185 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com