Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V2>Minime ?  (Read 8938 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Re:V2>Minime ?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 11:14:11 AM »
Minime as low as it will go and keep it there.  Crank the V2 and use that to tweek my levels.  A little red not a problem with the Apogee.  Got it.
Thanks,
Ed ;)
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

cpclark

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 12:35:14 PM »
i haven't run the combo, but i was under the impression that once it's calibrated from a non-dynamic source (ie white noise), you could do all your tweaking off the v2 trim pots, rather than dealing with the screwdrivers...no?

Yes, but to me the trim pots on the V2 add noise while the MMe pots do not. Hence, I never touch the trim pots on the V2 and will always adjust on the MMe.

i use the trim on the v2 at almost everyshow and have never heard any noise being added by them, please tell me what your hearing so i know what to listen for.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2004, 10:33:08 AM »
i haven't run the combo, but i was under the impression that once it's calibrated from a non-dynamic source (ie white noise), you could do all your tweaking off the v2 trim pots, rather than dealing with the screwdrivers...no?

Yes, but to me the trim pots on the V2 add noise while the MMe pots do not. Hence, I never touch the trim pots on the V2 and will always adjust on the MMe.

i use the trim on the v2 at almost everyshow and have never heard any noise being added by them, please tell me what your hearing so i know what to listen for.

i have never heard noise added either???

got any samples jason??
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2004, 12:47:40 PM »
i doubt there is any noticeable noise introduced that could be heard on most playback systems.  however, i was reading a review about one of the grace products (one of the links from their page) and the reviewer was talking about how using the 12 position rotary type switch for setting the gain was a much better way of changing the gain than using a potentiometer.  from what i gathered, using the rotary switch changes which resistor the circuit inside is using, while a potentiometer is a variable resistor, which is noisier.  so by not using the trim, which is a potentiometer, theoretically there is less noise introduced.  someone who is further along in EE please correct me if i am wrong.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2004, 01:00:18 PM »
id love to hear the tapes from this combo.  Imagine how clean that would be...

Jason B

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2004, 07:45:44 PM »
using the rotary switch changes which resistor the circuit inside is using, while a potentiometer is a variable resistor, which is noisier.  so by not using the trim, which is a potentiometer, theoretically there is less noise introduced.  

Bingo.

I simply do not like to use the trim knobs on the V2. Now, on the V3 where the trim pots add gain as opposed to taking it away is a different story.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 01:15:58 PM by Jason B »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2004, 11:43:03 AM »
using the rotary switch changes which resistor the circuit inside is using, while a potentiometer is a variable resistor, which is noisier.  so by not using the trim, which is a potentiometer, theoretically there is less noise introduced.  

Bingo.

I simply do not like to use the trim knobs on the V2. Now, on the V3 where the trim pots add gain as opposed to taking it away is a different story.

ahhhh, i see jason :Dthanks
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2004, 02:38:01 PM »
I ran this combo for a brief period. Ran it all different ways, mic in, line in, the whole 9 yards, they all sounded about the same in the end, makes very good tapes, the imaging of this combo is superb....just too much gear for me to tote...I like to keep it small now.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 07:37:24 AM »

If the trim pots on the V2 are making noise, ya better send it in, they (like the V3) were designed to NOT make noise.

Another note - if you're using the digi out on the mme, you should NOT see overs on the deck, as digi should NEVER GO higher than ZERO on the a/d - it will clip there and pass 0 to the deck.  Plus the mme has a compressor/limiter you can use, and apogee's is about the kindest going if you have to use one.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Jason B

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 08:19:14 AM »
If the trim pots on the V2 are making noise, ya better send it in, they (like the V3) were designed to NOT make noise.

Let me make this clear.

Technically, the V2 trim pots can add noise to the signal. It is NOT audible in my tapes, but I simply choose not to run the trim on the V2 due to that fact. Simple as that.

Another note - if you're using the digi out on the mme, you should NOT see overs on the deck, as digi should NEVER GO higher than ZERO on the a/d - it will clip there and pass 0 to the deck.  Plus the mme has a compressor/limiter you can use, and apogee's is about the kindest going if you have to use one.

Not sure where this came from...

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 01:21:02 PM »
This was my favorite combo that I ran this summer... V3/V2Minime/Minime
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

marc0789

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2004, 01:45:42 PM »

Rick

are you sure about that, Rick? How many times have you run a mme? I've hit tons of reds on the mme. Never clipped a tape in my life. 50+ shows with the mme. And same experience with the 1k, another 100 or so more, without soft limit.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2004, 05:08:36 PM »
Another note - if you're using the digi out on the mme, you should NOT see overs on the deck, as digi should NEVER GO higher than ZERO on the a/d - it will clip there and pass 0 to the deck.

I disagree as well. I rocked the MMe out when I had one and NEVER clipped anything.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2004, 05:50:03 PM »
Marc, Mic D -- I run my V3 hot with good results.  I'd like to offer a nitpick that may clarify the disagreement between you two and Rick:

I definitely have what one would technically call "clips" (3 consecutive samples at 0) on some of my recordings, and I'm willing to bet you do, too (unless the MMe meters are inaccurate).  But they're not audible.  And (gasp!) I even have a few on occasion that are audible (oops).  But I've decided the V3 clips so gracefully I'm willing to take the chance of occasional clips in return for hotter levels over all.

So, while I've hit plenty of red in recording with my V3, I almost never encounter an audible clip.  Perhaps your experiences mirror mine.  If so, I don't feel this statement is necessarily at odds with what Rick is saying.

And a nitpick to Rick:  the accuracy of portable DAT deck meters I've seen is notoriously poor, so I wouldn't trust my DAT levels a whole lot either until I'd verified their accuracy (or otherwise) against a more reliable metering method and could establish their relative accuracy.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Jason B

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2004, 06:08:01 PM »
I run my V2 and MMe extremely hot (ask anyone who's taped with me and they'll agree), and I rarely have audible clips. If there are, they are more often from the V2 and not the MMe. I have, however, had audible clips from the MMe present in a couple recordings. The MMe does not clip like other devices. Other devices that I have heard clip sound like a pop (the mp2 in particular). When the MMe clips, it sounds more like a singe-ing sound (if that makes any sense) than a pop. I have though, clip the MMe on more than one occasion.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 06:44:45 PM by Jason B »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com