Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

think about the samples, and what you like best.  then I'll reveal the sources...just for those who want to geek out and hear some gear w/o buying it.  

I like comp1 over 2
3 (23.1%)
I like comp 2 over 1
2 (15.4%)
UJB (comp03) sounds better than terrapin (comp04)
1 (7.7%)
the terrapin sounds better than UJB (comp4 over 3)
2 (15.4%)
both 03/04 sound fantastic
0 (0%)
dont like any of it
2 (15.4%)
mono PAs suck!
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: MR1000 with and w/o preamp comps  (Read 7571 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MR1000 with and w/o preamp comps
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 10:05:10 AM »
I will continue to record in DSD mode and capture as much info as possible, let the authoring software catch up with me when it is ready, I will have 1 bit masters waiting for it when it does  ;D

What are you archiving your DSD master on?

A LOT of DVD's  ;D Hopefully I will figure something else out but I don't trust just leaving them on hard drive even though I have a dedicated external drive for music.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 10:06:10 AM »
I will continue to record in DSD mode and capture as much info as possible, let the authoring software catch up with me when it is ready, I will have 1 bit masters waiting for it when it does  ;D

What are you archiving your DSD master on?

I archive mine (5.6mhz) to an external HD and also to DVD (both "as is") as well.  The file splits are at 1gb every 11 minutes, so four chunks and the project file fit on a DVD quite nicely.  DVD blank media is so cheap, who cares how many discs it takes?  Burn it off and throw it on a spindle for later.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 08:20:28 PM »
I've just recently started following the Korg threads & have been getting used to a new playback system before listening to the comp.  I've not been overly impressed with the move to 24/96 mastering, especially considering the extra work, effort and signal processing that goes into it.  Thanks to Carl and Nick for going through the effort of putting this together.  I know it's not always easy to find two tracks that tell the whole story.

Samples 1 & 2
I thought the differences between Samples 1 & 2 were more noticeable than what Carl talked about.  I thought the treble in Sample 1 was too much, to the point of ear fatigue.  Even with the extra treble, I thought the recording sounded closed in and a little ragged / incoherent.

Sample 2 definitely had a softer treble compared to Sample 1.  It might have been a little too soft for my ears.  Through the midrange though...especially the lower midrange...Sample 2 lacked proper definition and the speed required to propel the music along.  Sample 2 had the most bass, but it sounded bloated and sluggish on my system.  I preferred Sample 2 for overall listenability, but I thought both samples had flaws.  Thanks for the rig synergy comp, even though it proves absolutely nothing   :D.  It's good to hear two different rigs side by side.  Personally, I like measuring performance vs. investment dollars.   

Samples 3 & 4
The midrange opened up and the bass was no longer bloated (in comparison to Sample 2). Sample 3 was more coherent than Sample 2, allowing the music to flow more naturally.  The bass was not as strong as with Sample 2, but it seemed adequate.  The clearer low end provided a better since of pace and timing and a higher degree of transparency.

Sample 4 was notably better than the other samples on my system.  Yes, I preferred the Korg by itself.  It became apparent after listening for only two or three minutes.  I liked Sample 4 best for a couple reasons.  First...Overall Clarity.  The treble has a nice airy extension to it without being overly aggressive.  The midrange opened up even further and the sense of space around the instruments was elevated.  I also thought the bass was slightly better than Sample 3 recording as well.  Second...Dynamics.  I thought the Sample 4 recording handled the band at its loudest better than the other samples.  When the whole band came in at the end of Playin', the sound was big, open, not too bright and not falling apart.  Additionally, I thought Sample 4 had a slightly better sound stage.  Overall, it sounded like the stand was a little closer to the stage for Sample 4.  I'd also like to add that Sample 4 was the only one that gave me any sort of goosebumps.  There's a good technical measurement.

I'm looking forward to hearing more comps out of Camp Korg.  I preferred the recordings in the following order for overall sound quality...Sample 4 > Sample 3 > Sample 2 > Sample 1.  I listened to the samples four or five times over the course of two days.  I was listening on a 30 wpc Mastersound Compact 845, Sonist Concerto 2 stand mounts, an Exposure 3010 CD player with various ICs and PCs from GutWire and Atlas.

Thanks for the comp,
Chris

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 01:15:10 AM »
OK kids, I ran a comp tonight.  I'm not sure how best to present it though, so I'm open to suggestions.

The comp was beyerdynamic MC803 -> Sonosax SX-M2

One output was sent to the Korg MR1000 at 5.6mhz DFF
Two output was sent to the SD 744T at 24bit/192kHz

Should I dither these both to 44.1?  Or should I go to 24/192 with the Korg file and leave the SD file alone?  If I dither the SD to 44.1 should I Audiogate the Korg file to 24/192 and dither it to 16/44 in the same manner as the SD file?  Or should I just Audiogate it straight to 16/44?

Not sure of the best approach to this one to make it as "valid" as possible.  Suggestions?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 09:51:05 AM »
Thanks for doing the comp, Dirk!

As a base, I vote for the obvious, redbook.  That also levels the playing field a bit (since they're both going to get similarly resampled and dithered). I vote for audiogating the dsd to 24/192 and then using the same method on both sources to go to redbook. BUT... It would also be interesting to get a redbook version created entirely with audiogate. Perhaps that should be a different comp.

I'd also like to hear 24 bit versions of both.. I'd vote for 24/48.

Is your 744 one of the earlier lead solder based units that sounds better or one of the lead free units? :P ;)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 09:59:21 AM »

Is your 744 one of the earlier lead solder based units that sounds better or one of the lead free units? :P ;)

Yes.  It also came with a nearly new flux capacitor.

OK, I will dither to 24/192 with the Korg and then take both files to both 16/44 and 24/48 respectively, using UV22HR (Wavelab).

I will also take the Korg files to 16/44 and 24/48 directly with Audiogate.

So there will be 2 comps, 16 bit and 24 bit.  Each will have 3 samples - 744 WL dithered, Korg WL dithered and Korg Audiogated.

Will try to get that knocked out today.  Have to go cut the grass first.   ::)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 01:37:59 AM »
Came across this thread & thought it deserved a bump. Good stuff. T+'s around.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com