Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1998 4v consecutive numbers, responses from Herr Vollmer  (Read 5100 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
1998 4v consecutive numbers, responses from Herr Vollmer
« on: October 05, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
So when I inquired as to history I was told that caps were not matched then, and can't be now. Not that they need it, db are indistinguishable. Does this jive with what you all have been told about older caps?

They've also never been serviced, amazing. I had my DPAs serviced like 6 times over 15 years.  :facepalm:
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
Re: 1998 4v consecutive numbers, responses from Herr Vollmer
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »
what numbers are yours out of curiosity? I bought a pair a couple years back from the YS....seem to be matched, and when I emailed Bernard (?) at Schoeps he told me they were manufactured in 1998 but do not keep the matching certs on file.
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 01:35:03 PM »
I have heard a few other HORROR stories with the DPA40xx line involving cable and capsule repairs. Not to completely steer this off topic Marc, did you ever have an issue with cable noise (like handling noise) with your DPA pair? I have heard this from a few people in recent years but I don't recall hearing about these issues before recently.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »
what numbers are yours out of curiosity? I bought a pair a couple years back from the YS....seem to be matched, and when I emailed Bernard (?) at Schoeps he told me they were manufactured in 1998 but do not keep the matching certs on file.

10201 and 10202

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 03:09:12 PM »
I have heard a few other HORROR stories with the DPA40xx line involving cable and capsule repairs. Not to completely steer this off topic Marc, did you ever have an issue with cable noise (like handling noise) with your DPA pair? I have heard this from a few people in recent years but I don't recall hearing about these issues before recently.

Oh hell yeah I had maybe 5 separate Episodes  of cable noise requiring repair each time. Dpa USA would snip
Off the cable at the capsule each time rather than change the whole cable. Many ruined tapes.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 03:46:18 PM »
For the same reason, just as DPA has now shifted to using modular capsules on their standard mics rather than the older fixed-wired capsules which eventually develop cable fatigue issues, I wish they would simply move the microdot connector to the back of the capsule on the miniatures omnis.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 04:04:40 PM »
Love the sound but doing 90% stealth DPAs just weren't holding up at all. Schoeps nbobs haven't let me down yet first year I can remember without a noise fucked tape.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
Yeah, makes a world of difference.  Especially for one's mental health.  Dealing with intermittent signal continuity due to cable wear just plain sucks.  Good to hear this solution is working well without any of those issues for you.

I was overjoyed when I eliminated intermittency issues in my 4 channel stealth rig by moving from using dual preamps, which required four separate in/out mini-jack connections, to a 4 channel preamp using one locking multi-pin mini-XLR input and output.  But now I'm to the point where the cable jackets on the four 4060s are beginning to fall apart, particularly near the capsules where there is more bending stress.   I've made heat-shrink repairs which are working and have yet to get intermittancies, but the writing is on the wall.  May be able to splice in new cable close to the capsules when the time comes, but not looking forward to that.  The 4060 capsules themselves are performing fine, it's just the cables which are worn and beginning to fail.  Maybe when the time comes I'll break out the epoxy and try to make this "micro-dot at capsule" mod myself instead of trying to splicing in new cables.  Replacing all 4 otherwise good mics because of cable wear is not an attractive option.

Newer DPA'ers can now achieve similar Nbobs robustness with the standard SD non-miniature modular DPA series.  Especially when combined with the new D-Vice preamp/ADC into a phone, which is probably the stealthiest top-quality setup currently available for standard-sized SD capsules.  The few samples I've heard posted here at TS so far sound great.  If one doesn't want to record into a phone, I've thought about it and see no reason a 3rd party preamp couldn't be made to substitute for the D-Vice allowing recording into a standard recorder instead of a phone.  Actually, something more like a simple battery box providing 5 or 6V to the capsule should work.  The key is the modular capsules and DPA's new Nbob-like cable for them, along with the pre-polarized nature of all DPA mics which don't require external polarization voltage.  It's only the balanced output DPA mic amplifiers themselves which require 48V or 130V Phantom.

/threadjack

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 07:43:30 PM »
For the same reason, just as DPA has now shifted to using modular capsules on their standard mics rather than the older fixed-wired capsules which eventually develop cable fatigue issues, I wish they would simply move the microdot connector to the back of the capsule on the miniatures omnis.

Never going to happen for reasons of increased size and visibility.  Consider the primary market of live theater and especially TV, with the lav clipped on a lapel or neckline directly in the shot.  The brass locking ring would also be reflective in stage / studio lighting.

The compromise is the 4061 Heavy Duty.  They certainly seem to survive heavy abuse without a hitch in the demo videos.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »
Your caps are one year shy of 20 years in the wild. I bet with one standard service and proper care they have 2 or 3 decades worth of tapes left in them.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 09:20:38 PM »
More life left in them than me.  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:23:03 PM by MakersMarc »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 09:59:06 PM »
At least it only took ya 15 years to find a solution to the problem...   ;)
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 09:47:01 AM »
^ Heh. Maybe that makes finding the practical solution that much more satisfying!

[threadjack]

Never going to happen for reasons of increased size and visibility.  Consider the primary market of live theater and especially TV, with the lav clipped on a lapel or neckline directly in the shot.  The brass locking ring would also be reflective in stage / studio lighting.

The compromise is the 4061 Heavy Duty.  They certainly seem to survive heavy abuse without a hitch in the demo videos.

Yeah I hear you.  Although I think it could be done avoiding those concerns.  The microdot connector is the same diameter and about the same size as the mic.   The assembly wouldn't be much larger than the bigger HD strain relief.  And the brass locking ring could be coated black (or white, beige or brown) just like most mic amplifiers made from brass.

Actually DPA offers something close already- For this rig I use the 4060s in the rubber boundary mount accessories.   DPA makes a dedicated boundary version of the mic using what looks like the same rubber boundary mount disk permanently attached to a weighted metal base with the microdot connector installed in the base.  I just don't want the weighted base.  Still, that provides a model for what I may DIY when the time comes - permanently mounting the mics into the rubber boundary mount disks, which will provide enough area to make the splice easier and to bond in a connector.  I'd switch to a connector something other than microdot if I can find something else as compact and secure, maybe flatter, can't be thicker or bulkier than a microdot.

Yes, the HD mic version with beefed up cable jacket and strain relief is certainly tougher, but the issue I have is actually less about bending fatigue than the cable jacket becoming stiff and falling apart after years of use.  Not sure the HD jacket would correct that unless it's a different formulation altogether.

There is a secondary motivation as well- Would be easier to rig and more flexible in use if the mics could be removed from the wire harness without having to removing or unthread the harness itself.  Would make interchanging the mics between rigs much easier as well.

As long as I'm dreaming out loud, I'd like to play around with a miniature bidirectional in the same boundary mount in combination with the omni.
[/threadjack]

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »
Yeah, makes a world of difference.  Especially for one's mental health.  Dealing with intermittent signal continuity due to cable wear just plain sucks.  Good to hear this solution is working well without any of those issues for you.

I was overjoyed when I eliminated intermittency issues in my 4 channel stealth rig by moving from using dual preamps, which required four separate in/out mini-jack connections, to a 4 channel preamp using one locking multi-pin mini-XLR input and output.  But now I'm to the point where the cable jackets on the four 4060s are beginning to fall apart, particularly near the capsules where there is more bending stress.   I've made heat-shrink repairs which are working and have yet to get intermittancies, but the writing is on the wall.  May be able to splice in new cable close to the capsules when the time comes, but not looking forward to that.  The 4060 capsules themselves are performing fine, it's just the cables which are worn and beginning to fail.  Maybe when the time comes I'll break out the epoxy and try to make this "micro-dot at capsule" mod myself instead of trying to splicing in new cables.  Replacing all 4 otherwise good mics because of cable wear is not an attractive option.

Newer DPA'ers can now achieve similar Nbobs robustness with the standard SD non-miniature modular DPA series.  Especially when combined with the new D-Vice preamp/ADC into a phone, which is probably the stealthiest top-quality setup currently available for standard-sized SD capsules.  The few samples I've heard posted here at TS so far sound great.  If one doesn't want to record into a phone, I've thought about it and see no reason a 3rd party preamp couldn't be made to substitute for the D-Vice allowing recording into a standard recorder instead of a phone.  Actually, something more like a simple battery box providing 5 or 6V to the capsule should work.  The key is the modular capsules and DPA's new Nbob-like cable for them, along with the pre-polarized nature of all DPA mics which don't require external polarization voltage.  It's only the balanced output DPA mic amplifiers themselves which require 48V or 130V Phantom.

/threadjack

Wait, are you suggesting that there is a d:vice option for the 40xx series? I'm not seeing that on their website...

[and sorry again for threadjack]
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 04:42:45 PM »
^ you can use the new d:dictate capsules (40xx) with the MMP-GR or GS cables with the d:vice.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com