Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cleanly lowering levels in Audacity?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Cleanly lowering levels in Audacity?
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:33:24 PM »
I'm mixing two sources together and both ran close to 0 and have always wondered how to best lower the levels a bit.

Does simply turning down the gain on the slide bar work effectively? 

I've also used "Amplify" backwards (set the new peak amplitute to, say -7 when its peaking at 0) before, but am not sure if thats basically just "turning down the gain" or if it has any kind of compression effects.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Cleanly lowering levels in Audacity?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:01:48 PM »
I'm mixing two sources together and both ran close to 0 and have always wondered how to best lower the levels a bit.

Does simply turning down the gain on the slide bar work effectively? 

I've also used "Amplify" backwards (set the new peak amplitute to, say -7 when its peaking at 0) before, but am not sure if thats basically just "turning down the gain" or if it has any kind of compression effects.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

either works, same effect. I preferred the slider since I could didn't have to spend the time waiting for the amplify to finish only to realize I shouldn't have gone so far (or needed to go further) and end up undoing it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
Re: Cleanly lowering levels in Audacity?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:33:47 PM »
Okay, thanks.  Was never sure if going below 0 gain actually caused any detrimental effects or was simply just "turning down the volume."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com