Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Syncing word clock question  (Read 8309 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Syncing word clock question
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 07:53:45 AM »
If I get to my gig early enough tonight...I'll try to run two synced A/Ds...

One other thought...What about just reclocking each signal in post...not sure if computers do this...

If I feed my Behringer AD2496 a digi signal...It can sync to the signal - or the internal clock...I wonder if I reclock each signal - will they sync?

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 10:03:30 AM »

One other thought...What about just reclocking each signal in post...not sure if computers do this...

If I feed my Behringer AD2496 a digi signal...It can sync to the signal - or the internal clock...I wonder if I reclock each signal - will they sync?

When using Behringer gear you should ALWAYS clock to an external source if you have one.  Behringer internal clocks suck.  Clocking them to a decent external source GREATLY improves the device's performance.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Roving Sign

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 12:55:28 PM »

When using Behringer gear you should ALWAYS clock to an external source if you have one.  Behringer internal clocks suck.  Clocking them to a decent external source GREATLY improves the device's performance.

Thanks - I'll try using the clock in the dbx386 as the master...slave the Behringer to that...

Roving Sign

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2006, 03:01:19 PM »
Ok - mission accomplished...

Ran the dbx386 as master and Behringer as slave...

Recorded matrix on one JB3 - and just the stage mics on the other...

I'll report back...

Roving Sign

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »
Just following up here...ran two A/Ds with the clocks synced...but AFAIC...It still drifts...(using Audacity)

I'll try again to make sure I wasn't hearing things...but I this may not be the answer to matrix drift issue...

It also may mean the JB3 reclocks the signal...

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 02:18:43 PM »
Interesting.  I would imagine this goes back to the jb3, but I don't really know for sure how it behaves.  If a common clock was used, the sources SHOULD be in sync...

Keep us posted.
Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Roving Sign

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 02:37:03 PM »
Right - so - now Im thinking maybe the JB3 reclocks the incoming signal?

Not exactly sure what the heck "reclock" means - but I have heard the term before...I dont think its the same as resample.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 03:12:47 PM »
Just following up here...ran two A/Ds with the clocks synced...but AFAIC...It still drifts...(using Audacity)

I'll try again to make sure I wasn't hearing things...but I this may not be the answer to matrix drift issue...

It also may mean the JB3 reclocks the signal...

What gear, exactly, did you run and how was it set up?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Roving Sign

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 05:25:31 PM »
The A/Ds in question are a dbx386 and a Behringer Ultramatch 24/96

I ran the dbx as the master...BNC out to the Behringer...16/44

I was running an on-the-fly matrix - the dbx on the stage mics...I used the digital out on the dbx > CO2 > JB3 (this was just to create a second recording for this experiment)

The analog out of dbx went to my mixer where the board was added  - then into the Behringer...optical out > JB3 (this was the main recording)

Ok - as I type this...I think I might know what happened...And Brian - you will love this... ;)

The JB3 with the CO2 has digi-noise - I would normally attribute it to cell phones - but the other JB3 was right next to it - and it is fine...

So - if the C02'd JB3 dropped some samples - I would probably start to see some drift...correct?

That damn CO2 has never given me a shred of trouble...!!!

Im going to hook it up this way again and see if I can get the dbx>CO2>JB3 combo to malfunction like this...

I have run the dbx>C02>JB3 combo before without issues...but never using the word clock out at the same time...(grasps at a straw...)

I know, I know - ditch the C02...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com