Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F1 recorder  (Read 21193 times)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
Zoom F1 recorder
« on: January 25, 2018, 06:10:39 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFLRRzhxvog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrV9yf_KkcU

Key Features:
  • Two-channel audio recorder
  • Includes LMF-1 omnidirectional lavalier microphone
  • Lightweight and low-profile design—attaches to belts and waistbands, or fits inside pockets without being seen
  • Compatible with all Zoom microphone capsules
  • Supports up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio
  • Broadcast WAV format (BWF)—files are automatically time-stamped
  • 1.25" monochromatic LCD display can be read under bright light
  • Stereo 1/8" mic/line input jack with plug-in power (2.5V)
  • Stereo 1/8" phone/line output jack with dedicated volume control
  • Built-in limiter and auto level control to avoid clipping
  • Low-cut filter
  • Pre-Record function
  • Tone generator for calibrating audio levels between the F1 and a camera
  • Sound marker function outputs quick tone for syncing audio and video
  • Micro-USB port for data exchange to and from computer
  • Use as an audio interface to record directly to your computer or iOS device
  • Runs on two standard AAA alkaline, Lithium, or NiMH rechargeable batteries, or AD-17 AC adapter (available separately)
  • Up to 10 hours of operation with alkaline batteries (when using lavalier)
  • Includes windscreen, belt clip, mic clip
Available for US$199:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1385361-REG/zoom_zf1lp_zoom_f1_field_recorder.html

Or for US$249 with shotgun module:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1385362-REG/zoom_zf1sp_f1_field_recorder_with.html

Manual and Quick Guide:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_F1.pdf
https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_F1_QuickGuide.pdf
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:15:12 AM by IronFilm »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F1 recorder
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:44:19 AM »
Looks like the only adjustments for line in level are "Lo-, Lo, Mid-, Mid, Mid+, Hi-, Hi, Hi+, Hi++ or AUTO."
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 10:57:10 AM »
I guess when you're putting a lav on a person and you can't monitor it during the film scene, welllll... you can't do better than a vague guess at the levels. So who needs more detail than that?! :-/

One of the reasons it is a damn pity there is no option for dual safety track recording like the Tascam DR10L / DR10CS have. Hopefully Zoom will very quickly bring out a firmware update to fix this oversight (assuming this can be fixed by firmware, and isn't a hardware issue).

Offline Chromenose

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »
I've read another tread about this onze but can't find it anymore. Unboxing etc and  some Nice information??

Rob

Offline heathen

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 06:53:40 PM »
I've read another tread about this onze but can't find it anymore. Unboxing etc and  some Nice information??

Rob
I don't see it either.  It would be a shame if it got deleted because there was some good info and photos in that thread.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 08:25:35 PM »
I checked this out at B+H the other day. Construction seemed a little weak (but since it's mostly plastic maybe it won't set of metal detectors).

And the salesperson said you can only record in mono...but I guess this might be handy for super stealth where mono is better than nothing.

I forgot to ask, but it did look like you could remove the "belt clips" so it would probably be easier to slide into a pocket then.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline heathen

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 08:28:53 PM »
And the salesperson said you can only record in mono

Based on the (now deleted) other thread I think this is incorrect.

Offline heathen

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »
If anyone needs any info or has questions, please feel free to PM me anytime.
If you could repost some of the info and pictures in this thread that would be great...if nothing else it could be a great resource for anyone considering this deck.  First-hand experience is very valuable!

obsidian

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 11:54:28 PM »
If anyone needs any info or has questions, please feel free to PM me anytime.
If you could repost some of the info and pictures in this thread that would be great...if nothing else it could be a great resource for anyone considering this deck.  First-hand experience is very valuable!

Sure thing.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=185390

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:31:58 AM »
Sadly, I deleted the thread. I put a lot of information and pictures in the post and was trying to help people make a sound buying decision, but it was becoming overwhelmed with non-related and inaccurate guesses by one poster who then decided to make comments about "Americans". I don't support hatred and negative behavior so I deleted the thread. Sorry. If anyone needs any info or has questions, please feel free to PM me anytime.

Sadly, that is a lie. Usually I try not to feed the trolls, but I feel that I need to rectify some of these accusations you made.

Those "guesses" by me and other people were merely questions which you chose to dispose as "false claims". When comparing sizes of different recorders, you chose to ignore the F1's thickness in order to make it appear smaller than it is. When this was pointed out to you, you took your ball and went home.

The comment about "Americans" made by me was a tease about imperial units of measurement. While customary in the US, no one outside of the US understands those and I made a joke about that. Never was there any "hatred" involved. In fact, I love your country (except for the imperial system)! ;-)

Please stop behaving like an 8 year old. And thanks for the pictures and the info you provided.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:34:56 AM by Sebastian »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVhH5WQ6es  FWIW, a review which goes into  detail about the menus, etc.  Linked for whatever useful info it may contain and opinions may vary. 

It seems to me that Zoom has positioned this as an alternative to the Tascam lav recorder at the same MSRP.  The Tascam lav is seen as a bargain by some DSLR shooters compared to the cost of wireless lavs and doesn't have the risk of wireless dropouts.   

obsidian

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 10:40:21 AM »
When comparing sizes of different recorders, you chose to ignore the F1's thickness in order to make it appear smaller than it is.

... and just how did I make something "appear smaller" when I showed several pictures of it. I even mentioned, more than once, that it is in fact "thicker". What would I have to gain in this by making something "appear smaller"??? I don't work for Zoom or have stock in them ... I'm just reporting my opinions.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:47:00 AM by obsidian »

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 12:32:07 AM »

Why did a thread get deleted?!

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 12:53:10 PM »

I checked the B+H page and you are correct. It says it records in stereo.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline heathen

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 05:40:09 PM »
Pretty in-depth look at the F1 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVhH5WQ6es

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »
Looking at the features and the overall user interface, this looks rather like a Zoom H1N repackaged for a different use case.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 12:57:53 AM »
Well that fact it is branded as "F series" is meant to indicate it has a bit more processing power behind it than say an H1 would. So perhaps future firmware updates might bring good news?

But while it lacks TC, it doesn't really seem worthy of the "F series" naming in my eyes.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »
What I  mean is, the key features it shares with the H1N (not the original H1, the new one) are as follows -

Two-channel audio recorder
    Supports up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio
    Broadcast WAV format (BWF)—files are automatically time-stamped
    1.25" monochromatic LCD display can be read under bright light
    Stereo 1/8" mic/line input jack with plug-in power (2.5V)
    Stereo 1/8" phone/line output jack with dedicated volume control
    Built-in limiter and auto level control to avoid clipping
    Low-cut filter
    Pre-Record function
    Tone generator for calibrating audio levels between the F1 and a camera
    Sound marker function outputs quick tone for syncing audio and video
    Micro-USB port for data exchange to and from computer
    Use as an audio interface to record directly to your computer or iOS device
    Runs on two standard AAA alkaline, Lithium, or NiMH rechargeable batteries, or AD-17 AC adapter (available separately)
    Up to 10 hours of operation with alkaline batteries (when using lavalier)

Card capacity and recording formats are also identical.

Features unique to the F1 are all related to the physical design -

Includes windscreen, belt clip, mic clip
    Includes LMF-1 omnidirectional lavalier microphone
    Lightweight and low-profile design—attaches to belts and waistbands, or fits inside pockets without being seen
    Compatible with all Zoom microphone capsules

Now whether the audio internals are significantly different I can't tell from the available specs, but they may well have simply used the H1N internals lock stock and barrel to minimise production costs.  If so, you are paying a fair bit extra for the form factor - which of course may well be something you value.

Offline Psinka

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 02:56:37 AM »
Got mine F1-LP couple days ago  ;D
It's damn small!!! Will test it tomorrow on gig with AT943  >:D

Offline heathen

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »
I'm looking forward to more first-hand information about this thing. Just out of curiosity, are you running the 943s straight into the F1, or will you be using some kind of battery box or preamp?

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 12:44:07 PM »
I'm looking forward to more first-hand information about this thing. Just out of curiosity, are you running the 943s straight into the F1, or will you be using some kind of battery box or preamp?
I like the deck a great deal. And while I see it for me primarily in a low pro situation, I recently had a chance to see it and use it out in the open. It was really nice and easy to use. What I do not like, is that the gain adjustments are incremental and it cycles up and after the highest, goes back to the lowest. That said I can easily work around it now that open testing has given me a feel for it's abilities.
https://archive.org/details/um2018-03-17.akg481.flac16
As for running mics in without a preamp or battery box, the deck supplies 2.5v of plug in power. I'd always use some external powering, as I would on any PIP deck.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline heathen

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 12:52:27 PM »

Offline Psinka

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 10:31:02 AM »

It's not so important gig and i will use only F1 and AT943 without bbox or preamp.

Offline heathen

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 11:08:40 AM »
It's not so important gig and i will use only F1 and AT943 without bbox or preamp.

Could you switch to using a BB/pre halfway through so there's a useful comp of how the F1 performs with/without BB/pre?

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »
I like the deck a great deal. And while I see it for me primarily in a low pro situation, I recently had a chance to see it and use it out in the open. It was really nice and easy to use. What I do not like, is that the gain adjustments are incremental and it cycles up and after the highest, goes back to the lowest. That said I can easily work around it now that open testing has given me a feel for it's abilities.
https://archive.org/details/um2018-03-17.akg481.flac16
As for running mics in without a preamp or battery box, the deck supplies 2.5v of plug in power. I'd always use some external powering, as I would on any PIP deck.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Psinka

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 05:21:38 PM »
Could you switch to using a BB/pre halfway through so there's a useful comp of how the F1 performs with/without BB/pre?

Not this time :-(
My settings on F1 was 24/48 and reс level "norm". For At943 with 4.7k mod it's too low...
Unfortunately there was no other bands and i can't test settings on them.
Here small part of my record http://megamozg.us/F1.wav - added about 15db

In next 10 days i will go on another gig where i can test different settings with and without bbox.

Offline HJD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
This is a compelling little recorder, especially for use with a lavalier. I think I'm going to pick one up :) I like that it works with Zoom's different microphone capsules and the XLR attachment. I just wish it were also capable of overdubbing as that would make it even more versatile and appealing to me. Oh well, I guess you can't have it all.

Offline HJD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 07:37:59 PM »
By the way, does anyone know if the F1 will record line level signals via the optional XLR/TRS module?

Offline Psinka

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 02:07:01 AM »
By the way, does anyone know if the F1 will record line level signals via the optional XLR/TRS module?

According to Zoom's specification F1 compatible with all interchangeable modules

Offline HJD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 07:35:10 AM »

According to Zoom's specification F1 compatible with all interchangeable modules

Thanks for your reply Psinka!  :) Yes, that's what I understand as well. I asked because when I glanced through the F1 user manual I couldn't find anything about recording line level signals. I found the manual here: https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_F1.pdf
I don't have much experience recording line level signals, but, as I understand it, on some recorders you have to choose between microphone or line level signals on a switch or in a menu while on others the XLR part of the combo jacks are microphone level while the TRS part is for line level. So perhaps by using the TRS input on Zoom XLR-module the F1 will record a line level signal? If anyone could confirm this I'd be glad to hear from you. Thanks in advance!  :)

Offline farve4

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »
I shall be breaking mine in tonight when I see BOC

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 09:27:20 AM »
Make great tapes man +T
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »
Zoom really should un-bundle the mics.

Offline heathen

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2018, 12:34:10 AM »
I decided to order one of these and give it a try first-hand.

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2018, 01:21:56 PM »
Looks like a cool little recorder. Would be awesome if someone made a PFA with KCY connector for the expansion module on the top. Talk about a tiny rig!

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »
Looks like a cool little recorder. Would be awesome if someone made a PFA with KCY connector for the expansion module on the top. Talk about a tiny rig!
The extension module doesn't supply phantom.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline heathen

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 10:13:49 PM »
Just received the F1 today.  I should be able to test it out at a show soon, but for now here's some photos to show the size of it compared to the Roland R-05 and the CA9200.  If the F1 works out and I decide to keep it, I may dremel off the rails to make it even smaller.  Even with those rails, though, the thing is tiny.

(Gold star to anyone who can identify what these things are resting on.)

Offline heathen

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 01:12:58 PM »
Comp of the F1 and Roland R-05 here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186178.0

Offline florian.ardelean

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My studio's website
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 06:58:48 AM »
Really not as tiny as I'd like. Remember the SONY MZ-RH1? Released 12 YEARS ago (!) That was MINUSCULE by comparison and I'll bet good money it still sounds better than any "small" handheld portable recorder today.

What baffles me is why SONY never made a SD or microSD version in the same format factor, they could have fit an enormous LI-ION battery instead of the MD.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:00:23 AM by florian.ardelean »
Recorders: SD 744T Tascam HDP2 Sony D50 Olympus LS100 Zoom H2 Tascam IM2
Mixers: SD 422 SD 302 Mackie VLZ4
Microphones: Rode NT2A x 2 - Sanken CS1 - Senn MKH415T x 2 - Senn MKH40 - AKG D190 - Sennheiser MKE-2-Gold - Sennheiser MKE 40 - Audio Technica CC417
Headphones: Sennheiser HD280 x 2 - KRK KNS 8400 x 2 - Beyer 880 - Senn HD 590 - Senn HD201
Headphone amps: Sound Devices HX3 - Presonus HP4
Studio: Protools 9 HD2x2 - Digidesign C24 - Tascam 1804 - Mbox Mini 2 - Macbook with Reaper
Monitoring: JBL 4675Cx3, JBL 8340Ax2, Behringer B2030Px3
Subwoofers: Altec Lansing LFx3, JBL 18', Dynaudio BM14s
Macpro 1.1, MBP 13 2011, HP xw8600 x 2
Storage: Facilis Terrablock 24D

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 11:05:26 AM »
Really not as tiny as I'd like. Remember the SONY MZ-RH1? Released 12 YEARS ago (!) That was MINUSCULE by comparison and I'll bet good money it still sounds better than any "small" handheld portable recorder today.

What baffles me is why SONY never made a SD or microSD version in the same format factor, they could have fit an enormous LI-ION battery instead of the MD.

Other than the guide rails, the Zoom is smaller.

Zoom F1:   2.5 x 1.3 x 3.1" (W x H x D)

SONY MZ-RH1: 3.45 x 0.68 x 3.45 inches (W x H x D)

The Zoom has an easy to read screen too. My only complaint is the gain control which only goes up in a circular loop and then goes from highest gain back to lowest and the loop starts over. Not sure what they were thinking with that bit of firmware.

Online checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2018, 12:03:50 PM »

Don't you mean W x D x H?
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline florian.ardelean

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My studio's website
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2018, 12:05:52 PM »
Then it really is tiny. Can't really tell from the pictures, it just looks so... bulky!
Recorders: SD 744T Tascam HDP2 Sony D50 Olympus LS100 Zoom H2 Tascam IM2
Mixers: SD 422 SD 302 Mackie VLZ4
Microphones: Rode NT2A x 2 - Sanken CS1 - Senn MKH415T x 2 - Senn MKH40 - AKG D190 - Sennheiser MKE-2-Gold - Sennheiser MKE 40 - Audio Technica CC417
Headphones: Sennheiser HD280 x 2 - KRK KNS 8400 x 2 - Beyer 880 - Senn HD 590 - Senn HD201
Headphone amps: Sound Devices HX3 - Presonus HP4
Studio: Protools 9 HD2x2 - Digidesign C24 - Tascam 1804 - Mbox Mini 2 - Macbook with Reaper
Monitoring: JBL 4675Cx3, JBL 8340Ax2, Behringer B2030Px3
Subwoofers: Altec Lansing LFx3, JBL 18', Dynaudio BM14s
Macpro 1.1, MBP 13 2011, HP xw8600 x 2
Storage: Facilis Terrablock 24D

Offline heathen

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2018, 12:19:37 PM »
Then it really is tiny. Can't really tell from the pictures, it just looks so... bulky!

Trust me, even with the rails it is tiny.  Even having read about it and seen pictures online, I was still surprised by the size when I opened up the package.

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 12:21:07 PM »

Don't you mean W x D x H?
No, My arranged order is different but accurate as posted. I rearranged the order on Zoom as its as listed to show the 2 devices in the same order. You can check the Zoom on B and H and the SONY on Amazon. However it appears they measured the Zoom laying down so to speak.

Here is the exact paste from B and H on the Zoom:
Dimensions (W x D x H)   2.5 x 3.1 x 1.3" /

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2018, 09:55:59 PM »
Has anyone attempted to remove the rails yet?

Offline heathen

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »
I probably will.  If I do I'll certainly post here about it.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:26 AM »

I've gone off the rails a few times
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline heathen

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
I don't remember if it's been brought up yet, but I asked Zoom how much plug in power the F1 provides and was told it's 2.5V.

Offline thebeaker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2018, 01:43:00 AM »
Hi, I am plannig to get a new recorder. Until now it is the IRiver h120 and because here in Germany it is hard to get gear in, so I don´t use a Batterybox.
So my CA11/14 stuff is working with just connected to Line-In in Iriver and I am able to record moderately loud rock shows with it.
Will it be also possible with ZoomF1 and its provided mic power?

Offline thebeaker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2018, 06:04:18 PM »

I've gone off the rails a few times

Did u try? :)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »
At https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5x5Go4eIY there is a very intelligent review of the H1N, which I strongly suspect is the generally the same as the F1 but in a different case.  In the review and in the comments, the reviewer claims that below a certain point the input level knob switches from analog to digital attenuation.  This he says could mean that with loud sources, the analog stage could overload before the digital stage.  I wonder whether any users of the F1 have noticed anything like that?  (I realise that the stepped input level of the F1 could make it hard to determine this - analysis of noise at different input settings can sometimes reveal what is going on).

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2018, 04:54:16 AM »
Hi, I am plannig to get a new recorder. Until now it is the IRiver h120 and because here in Germany it is hard to get gear in, so I don´t use a Batterybox.
So my CA11/14 stuff is working with just connected to Line-In in Iriver and I am able to record moderately loud rock shows with it.
Will it be also possible with ZoomF1 and its provided mic power?

AFAIR you can use the Church Audio Mics with plugin Power, but their High SPL capability is just guaranted with the battery box / preamp.

Stumbled across the device today sorry for waking up that thread but with tiny battery box from church or sound profesionals this is the ideal  >:D device. It just looks like "this is my new casio g shock watch, nothin special"   ;D
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 04:56:56 AM »
because here in Germany it is hard to get gear in

You must be doing something wrong.

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 05:01:15 AM »
indeed. even with the pcm-m10 i always handled this as a "cell phone" :D

but i will take na look at this one here. came across this today watching "Techmoan" on youtube and this was in the recommendations  :lol:
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »
Hey guys! I'm (for the first time ever) wanting to put together a stealthy rig. Cost effective as I'm not buying much gear these days. I had actually picked up the competing Tascam DR-10L for use in video work but it only records dual mono (safety gain). I later learned this Zoom unit can do stereo. Which got me thinking that perhaps it's a good stealth recorder. Reading through this looks promising. Now that it's been a while what were you all's findings? Battery box necessary for something like Church mics? In terms of rock concert volumes? I have some shows coming up in April that I am in the sweet spot for and can't open record. I also go to a fair amount of comedy shows and use my iPhone. Which is pretty good but mono. Any real world reviews of this for concert recording?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 12:19:27 PM »
Hey guys! I'm (for the first time ever) wanting to put together a stealthy rig. Cost effective as I'm not buying much gear these days. I had actually picked up the competing Tascam DR-10L for use in video work but it only records dual mono (safety gain). I later learned this Zoom unit can do stereo. Which got me thinking that perhaps it's a good stealth recorder. Reading through this looks promising. Now that it's been a while what were you all's findings? Battery box necessary for something like Church mics? In terms of rock concert volumes? I have some shows coming up in April that I am in the sweet spot for and can't open record. I also go to a fair amount of comedy shows and use my iPhone. Which is pretty good but mono. Any real world reviews of this for concert recording?
On the plus side, it is small, easy to conceal and the pre-amps are good. I really like the recordings I get. As for a battery box, the F1 certainly does not supply any more PIP than a larger deck and while I do not know the voltage, I always use a small external pre-amp, so at the least I'd say yes to a battery box. Like all small decks you may (or may not) get away with skipping it, but to me the sound quality of the recording is noticeably worse.
My one peeve and this is a reason I favor the Roland R-07 and Marantz PMD 620, is the gain control. Gain is in fixed increments and can only be adjusted up. So, if you have it set too high at the start of a show, the only recourse is to go higher and higher until it goes lower. That means, depending on how fast you can press the gain button, some distortion then a bit of total silence then the gain you desire. So, a few seconds that take will require a bit of post work, adjusting of volumes and all to get to sound ok.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2018, 01:35:09 PM »
Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen that Roland R-07. That looks pretty interesting. Time to dive into research! The gain issue is definitely unappealing. Good tip!
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2019, 07:56:54 PM »
I've just 'invested' in the little Zoom F1 to go with an Osmo Pocket video camera.  I'm using it with Roland in-ear binaural mics.  This makes a very neat stealthy A/V system, which I've demonstrated in a short YouTube video - see https://youtu.be/fdEQiQ6tq0s

I now have an H2, and H2N, an H1N, and the F1, as well as other compact recorders from Sony and Tascam and Edirol.  One day I'm going to have quite a yard sale!

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2019, 01:37:06 PM »
I thought I'd share the following:

I pulled out my Zoom F1 recently to put it back in action. I like the preamp in this unit but had not used it in some time because I do not like the gain control. I still try to rotate between my smaller decks, but when I pulled it out the batteries had leaked inside. I got it working, but possible as a result (or maybe due to design) a small critical piece of the battery door broke off. I looked for a used deck but they were pretty spendy, so I wrote Zoom asking if I could buy a replacement door or pay to have it repaired. I purchased it somewhere around March of 2018 so it was not under warranty, but Zoom immediately offered  to replace as a warranty item at no cost. I paid shipping (about $4.00) and that was it.

I thought that was a pretty cool move and no matter their reasoning, it was unexpected and appreciated. I thought I should pass that on should others have issues with their Zoom products.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »
Nice of them indeed, but it could be partly because the fragility of the door is a known issue - I suspect they have been sending out truckloads of replacements (hopefully with a stronger design).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.211 seconds with 88 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com