Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: These are my new cables  (Read 9578 times)

Offline shaunpekar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Dose Your Face
    • My Live Music Collection
Re: These are my new cables
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
insanity....
JM27's > FR2LE

Face to face we will meet again, But never eye to eye

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 08:44:15 PM »
These are wet cables. They will handle rain and getting hosed.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 09:15:41 AM »
That's extra. Money doesn't mean anything to me.....

Well if thats how you feel, can you buy me a fr-2le recorder? That would be really nice.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 11:48:43 AM »
Have you nay-sayers actualy given them a try, or, are you just going to heckle from the side

i'm gonna heckle from the side...not at the cables or the technology, but at the people willing to shell out the dough for them.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 12:11:25 PM »
But some people make the dough for them, per hour, or per the half hour, just for waking up that morning.
It would be mere pocket change to some people.

even if it is, as you say, mere pocket change to them, is it wrong for me to point and laugh at them for spending in what i consider a foolish manner?
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
But some people make the dough for them, per hour, or per the half hour, just for waking up that morning.
It would be mere pocket change to some people.

and all-in-all it is just a worthless currency unless it is backed by gold or silver. Faith in a fiat currency can only go on so long.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 12:47:02 PM »
If you had $200k electro-static speakers, and a high-current amplifier that can weld metals together, do you want lamp zip cord leading to them?

as a matter of fact, i do have about $200k in high end speakers and amps(not for home, mind you, but for my business), and i use simple, no frills copper XLR cables to interconnect them.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »
Yes, but you're sending a balanced signal from your console to an onboard amplifier within the speakers, and not the amplifier sending a hot signal to a speaker. Apples / oranges. You can't make that comparison.
If you were sending the amplified signal a hundred feet to the speaker, you darn well better have something that won't glow a dull shade of orange or red as it heats up.

you are assuming that i only use self powered speakers. i've got an ass-ton of passive JBL's and Crown amps as well. those get interconnected with simple, 12 gauge copper wire with speakons on each side. i've got thousands of feet of the stuff. again, it's no-frills copper cable....heavy and dirty.

Offline Tim

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »
Hell, they dropped $25k on their trophy wifes mams, whats a few $k on speaker cables?

:lol:
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 01:29:49 PM »
something designed to carry the load, in other words?
I've always advocated copper. We're on the same page at that level. I drve my solspeaks with two runs of 9ga. just to make sure they're happy.

But if someone that drives a  two million dollar car, from a fleet of twelve other multi-million dollar cars, that are garaged next to his private helicopter/jet hangar, on his five thousand acre ranch in on the spring creek in paradise valley montana,...... and they want to have the "best",..... whats a few $k for speaker cables?
You can boast to your friends over shots of hundred year old scotch, from a $10k bottle, and puff hundred dollar cuban cigars halfway down before throwing them away.
They'll love the fact that they listened to a quater million dollar playback system (I've seen it happen).
These same cats buy $5k fly rod and reels, and that makes them happy (i can fish circles around them, as a guide, with my entry level gear). Do I laugh at them for that? nope, whatever makes them happy. Hell, they dropped $25k on their trophy wifes mams, whats a few $k on speaker cables?

the guy who has the 2 million dollar car uses the same 94 octane gas that i use in my subaru.
all i'm saying here is that, sure, you can spend thosuands of dollars on cables filled with Louis Roederer Cristal for all i care, but unless i hear a multi-thousand dollar difference, i'm not buying into the hype. carry on.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 01:56:17 PM »
all i'm saying here is that, sure, you can spend thosuands of dollars on cables filled with Louis Roederer Cristal for all i care, but unless i hear a multi-thousand dollar difference, i'm not buying into the hype. carry on.

That is a good point. My hearing is not as great as others therefore, I don't use $500 headphones and I can tolerate 160 bit rate mp3s but not 128 because that I can hear.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 02:25:22 PM »
but how can you know, if not having heard them.

this is just one of those times where not knowing what i am (possibly) missing won't hurt me.
when i read in the trade mags that touring PA companies are ditching their copper in favor of liquid metal cables, maybe then i will reconsider.

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 02:35:26 PM »
I really don't want to get in the middle of this, I think you guys actually agree more than you realize.

That said, I don't think the fact that PA companies use run of the mill copper cables has anything to do with a high-resolution system inside someone's acoustically treated and dedicated audio room.

Of course there would be little to no perceivable benefit to using esoteric cables in a sound reinforcement situation inside some terrible sounding concrete and steel arena.

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 02:49:53 PM »

Of course there would be little to no perceivable benefit to using esoteric cables in a sound reinforcement situation inside some terrible sounding concrete and steel arena.

well, if that's the case, why bother hanging a half million dollar line array system when you can just throw up a pair of peavey sp12's?
so in an acousticlly treated room, esoteric cables makes sense, but if it's a terrible sounding room, they don't make sense? speaking of not making sense.....

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »
so in an acousticlly treated room, esoteric cables makes sense, but if it's a terrible sounding room, they don't make sense? speaking of not making sense.....

yeah, in a room where the noise floor is near zero and you can hear very minute details I think it might make sense to use HQ cables. In an arena that has no hope of resolving very minute detail and that has a noise floor of around 70db just from the chatter of the people in it it doesn't make sense to use esoteric cables.

I don't know what's so hard to understand about that statement...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com