Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transcend SDHC 8 GB & Edirol R-09  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Uddhava

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Transcend SDHC 8 GB & Edirol R-09
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:55:55 AM »
I tried to use a Transcend SDHC 8 GB card.
I am experiencing problems with this.
I cannot transfer some of the files to a PC or Mac (Error message "The Parameter is Incorrect".
Some of the files i can transfer but these are corrupt and cannot be read in Wavelab for instance

But the WAV files do play nicely on the R-09...

So stay away from 8GB SDHC cards from transcend. (although Sonicstudio reports no problems with Sandisk Ultra II 8 GB sdhc card.)

Secondly which class should we have (SDHC).
With a WAV recording of 96kHz at 24 bit we need 96000 x 24 = 2304000 bits/sec = 288000 bytes/sec = 0.27 MB/sec
So a Class 2 (2 MB/sec) should be enough.
(But it makes transferring large files to a computer very slow.....)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Transcend SDHC 8 GB & Edirol R-09
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:30:14 AM »
My Transcend SDHC 8GB card works fine as long as I don't try to auto-span files over the file limit setting (2GB).  Still waiting for actual support of cards larger than 4GB.

Try the file repair function included in the last firmware update.  I used that last week for some older corrupt files I had sitting around it repaired them just fine.

This recorder won't record 96khz, 48 is the maximum, sample rate setting.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Transcend SDHC 8 GB & Edirol R-09
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:06:03 AM »
I tried to use a Transcend SDHC 8 GB card.
I am experiencing problems with this.
I cannot transfer some of the files to a PC or Mac (Error message "The Parameter is Incorrect".
Some of the files i can transfer but these are corrupt and cannot be read in Wavelab for instance

But the WAV files do play nicely on the R-09...

So stay away from 8GB SDHC cards from transcend. (although Sonicstudio reports no problems with Sandisk Ultra II 8 GB sdhc card.)

Secondly which class should we have (SDHC).
With a WAV recording of 96kHz at 24 bit we need 96000 x 24 = 2304000 bits/sec = 288000 bytes/sec = 0.27 MB/sec
So a Class 2 (2 MB/sec) should be enough.
(But it makes transferring large files to a computer very slow.....)

Sorry about causing confusion as I do have TRANSCEND make of 8 GIG SDHC (NOT Sandisk as I emailed earlier, this I have in CF for MT deck).

What is true is only used up 60% capacity inside 3-4 files so far with no problems other than well-known spanning fault.

But like I suggested, file faults may still be particular to something marginal (or defective/or maybe card's protocol is different) with this make?  Roland seemed to be using Panasonic brand SDHC when developing/testing firmware.

The experience with Roland's 'file fix' utility working on these same file faults suggests Transcend card's protocol issues with R-09 firmware.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 11:17:06 AM »
The experience with Roland's 'file fix' utility working on these same file faults suggests Transcend card's protocol issues with R-09 firmware.

Just to be clear, the files I fixed using the 'file fix' utility on the R-09 were old files recorded to a 4GB card that had bad headers, due to trying to enter rec mode too quickly after powering up the recorder.  I had no problem transfering those files off the card to the computer (or back again to repair them).  I do not know if 'file fix' will work or not to help Uddhava's "Parameter Incorrect" problem where he cann't transfer the file.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Uddhava

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 03:21:30 PM »
Here is the official statement from Roland :

"
We will be testing the 8 GB cards shortly. Currently 1.20 supports up to 4GB SDHC.

This selection is from Knowledge Base Article #104519 available at:
http://backstage.rolandus.com/knowledge_base/index.php?HD_ID=104519

Beginning with operating system 1.20, SDHC class 2 cards up to 4GB are compatible. For cards under 2 GB you will still need to use standard SD cards and not the SDHC class 2 cards.
End Knowledge Base Article #104519

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 03:27:22 PM »
For cards under 2 GB you will still need to use standard SD cards and not the SDHC class 2 cards.

That's interesting, not that I'm planning on using any cards smaller than 2GB.

Did the 'file fix' utility work for you?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com