Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz 671 in the field...  (Read 95454 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Marantz 671 in the field...
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2005, 02:09:55 PM »
i guess only Doug can answer that one.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2005, 02:40:53 PM »
ok doug says line level inputs are inactive in the acm. If you have a pre your are happy with (ofcourse he knows I have the m148) you are golden. He also says with the acm you could run the m148 mic in, but he sees no point. Looks like I am going to get a stock one and a 4 gb cf card, doug doesn't recommend the microdrives because they are moving parts
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2005, 02:44:16 PM »
 ;D    :realhappy:   ;D

:happy:
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2005, 04:02:16 PM »
that they are...which means they will fail eventualy.
but for the money, i think its worth to pick up a 4gb one...just for shits and giggles.
Doug is paranoid when it comes to hard drives.  Understandably.

thats good that the line in is still hot.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2005, 04:13:35 PM »
that they are...which means they will fail eventualy.
but for the money, i think its worth to pick up a 4gb one...just for shits and giggles.
Doug is paranoid when it comes to hard drives.  Understandably.

Nick, let us know how the Microdrive works.
I'm not convinced that they will work in these recorders.
But, if they do, that would be sch...weet!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2005, 04:27:14 PM »
but "could" i run the m148 in front after the acm mod??

Why wouldn't you be able to?

Is doug going to offer any other mods in addition to the ACM for coloring/transparency (i.e. T, P, or W)?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2005, 05:09:28 PM »
i dont think so.
the ACM mod is closest to a T mod..but has a touch of warmth, imo.   what I like to think of as "musical warmth".
but..that observation is based on the upgrades to the 660. 
the 671, as stated , will use a different cap that uses silk in it.  Doug says they are amazingly fast, transparant and 3D sounding.  thats what I like!
augment the sound of my neumanns by a wonderful soundstage.  sign me up.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2005, 05:19:42 PM »
i dont think so.
the ACM mod is closest to a T mod..but has a touch of warmth, imo.   what I like to think of as "musical warmth".
but..that observation is based on the upgrades to the 660. 
the 671, as stated , will use a different cap that uses silk in it.  Doug says they are amazingly fast, transparant and 3D sounding.  thats what I like!
augment the sound of my neumanns by a wonderful soundstage.  sign me up.

might add the perfect warmth im looking for as well, not too much, just a tad for the 480's in venues i know sound like ass 8)

480>ACM 671 is gonna be one smokin combo as well!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2005, 05:23:03 PM »
ok doug says line level inputs are inactive in the acm. If you have a pre your are happy with (ofcourse he knows I have the m148) you are golden. He also says with the acm you could run the m148 mic in, but he sees no point. Looks like I am going to get a stock one and a 4 gb cf card, doug doesn't recommend the microdrives because they are moving parts

Nick - the last time I checked, "inactive" means the same thing as "disabled".  I think that what Doug is saying is that if you're going to run a pre in front, then there is no need for the ACM and just run line-in.  but perhaps I am not interpretting that correctly.  just my impression...

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2005, 05:28:40 PM »
I missed the "inactive" part...
I just saw "active" and went from there.  thanks for pointing that out.
well...i like my borrowed pre...but will probably buck up for the acm any way.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2005, 05:46:16 PM »
I missed the "inactive" part...
I just saw "active" and went from there.  thanks for pointing that out.
well...i like my borrowed pre...but will probably buck up for the acm any way.

no problem :)  I just thought I'd post to head off any possible confusion down the line.  it looks like you'll still be able to run outboard pre > mic inputs on the ACM anyway...

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2005, 07:15:22 PM »
yup...and given its "alledged transparency", that could be interesting.

but i'll stick w/the acm.
:)

Offline esteyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2005, 07:27:39 PM »
ok, first of all, MICRDRIVES. Not for me, reread the prior thread and you will see my comments. condensed, i said they worked on the bench, but as soon as the deck went into the bag, the d*mn thing sucked batteries as well as shuttung down due to heat. now you could take the cosmetic cover that is held in with 4 screws off and see if that would allow you to cool the thing down, but i won't go there - and i was using a hitachi 6G drive for $160 so i can say i am kinda bummer about that - 24/96 for 3 hrs - just perfect! anyway, i will not run the microdrive, and besides, the whole idea of CF recoreds is to get away from hardware that has moving parts that can fail.

taped Mule at the Sun Th last nite. got a thought in my head to try the unbalanced 1/8" mini out on the Shure FP33. i have been dedicating it to the M1 as there is also a mini return aka monitor that allows to to listen to that input seperately - great for checking the analog into a deck via the loud shure phones output. then  i have been using the XLR outs to RCA to feed the 671 on line in, but have had to run the mixer so low that the headphone output was useless. it occurred to me that shure was probably smart and set up the XLR to pro levels and the mini to consumer ouput tlevels. gee, i was right. so i got a smoking tape, loud phoones and a mixer running d*mn near unity. HOORAY!

dither.... i use Samplitude to edit my 24bit recordings. it takes a bit to load the .wav files (i have not sent the deck in for the software update, so i assume i am using the "new" MS wav format to record to). i circulate 16bit recording from samplitudes dither function and listen to my 24bit recordings on the computer via Nero or in the car/house via DVD players and AudioDVDCreator. it works for me. i prefer, SO FAR< the dithered recordings to the truncated ones, altho in nondritical listening situations like the car, i do not have any problems listening to the truncated dats. i do the dats mostly as safeties.

i think folks considering the 671 should look at the Tascam DAP2. the upcharge might be worth it if the brickwalling pre issues are not there with the P2 like the 671 has... course i do not know size etc as of this post, still i think one should consider it. i get the feeling it will not be much more than the 671...

neil in san marcos
off to HOB-SD - 5 shows/6 nights and only tomorrow to go and seriously bummed as i hear that Vegas mule Fri nite is to be a 4-5 hr gig and i can't go.
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

zowie

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2005, 08:06:47 PM »

taped Mule at the Sun Th last nite. got a thought in my head to try the unbalanced 1/8" mini out on the Shure FP33. i have been dedicating it to the M1 as there is also a mini return aka monitor that allows to to listen to that input seperately - great for checking the analog into a deck via the loud shure phones output. then  i have been using the XLR outs to RCA to feed the 671 on line in, but have had to run the mixer so low that the headphone output was useless. it occurred to me that shure was probably smart and set up the XLR to pro levels and the mini to consumer ouput tlevels. gee, i was right. so i got a smoking tape, loud phoones and a mixer running d*mn near unity. HOORAY!

So the upshot is that the 671's line inputs are set up for consummer level input?

zowie

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2005, 08:17:08 PM »
One thing I'm a little confused on.  Nick said

overall, my 24/44.1 pull of STS9 (on archive...link in kickdown section) is very nice.   Though...the m248 front end I was using doesn't sound as enveloping as the ACM 660 did to my ears. 

From that, it sounds like an ACM 660 is preferable to an outboard preamp plus stock 671.  Notwithstanding that the 671 gives you 24 bits, it was not clearly superior to the ACM 660 and the total cost of the rig, including larger media, would be much higher than a ACM 660, as well as larger and more complex.  Everyone's MMV, but I can buy that.

However, it seems that a number of subsequent posters have concluded that an outboard pre + stock 671 is the way to go.  That doesn't seem to follow logically, even if you already own a pre.  Can anyone clarify?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com