Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church CA-14 mics and dead rats  (Read 2317 times)

Offline mitchellm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Church CA-14 mics and dead rats
« on: February 10, 2015, 05:20:44 PM »
I recently received my new order of Church CA-14 mics (both omni and cardiod) with a pair of dead rat windscreens. I'm wondering if anyone has experience or advice for putting them on and off. It seems like they'd be very tight (which is good), but I'm a bit afraid that if I tried to take them off then the normal windscreen on the CA-14s will be pulled off.

I'd rather ask advice first, rather than plunging ahead and making a big mistake. Suggestions?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Church CA-14 mics and dead rats
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »
I found mine to be extremely tight, to the point that I too was worried about ripping off the foam screens built into the mics.  I thought at the time that my set was an anomaly of tight fitting.  Instead of ripping off the foam, what happened is one of the rats broke at its "mouth" while I was trying to stretch it a bit to put it on one of the mics without tearing the foam.  I thought this was a defective one, and Chris replaced both rats for about half the price of new.  When I (finally) got them back, the replacements were identical in fit so clearly this is by design.  By that time I had sold my CA-14s, so I used them on my other mics and ordered a set of TBrown Dead Muppets.  Even though you're not really supposed to use those kinds of windscreens without foam underneath, the "rats" were pretty effective for a couple windy outdoor gigs I used them for.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:17:34 AM »
@voltronic: Thanks for your reply. Hmm ... okay, I may just end up not using them. At best it seems if I get them "on" then I'll just want to leave them that way for future usage.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:11:20 PM »
I recently received my new order of Church CA-14 mics (both omni and cardiod) with a pair of dead rat windscreens. I'm wondering if anyone has experience or advice for putting them on and off. It seems like they'd be very tight (which is good), but I'm a bit afraid that if I tried to take them off then the normal windscreen on the CA-14s will be pulled off.

I'd rather ask advice first, rather than plunging ahead and making a big mistake. Suggestions?
You should be able to stretch them with your fingers and open them up a bit. There is an elastic inside them that makes them close up. Once you break them in with your fingers a few times they should be fine. As far as taking them off goes its easy to get your fingers along side the dead rat opening and stretch them the same way and gently wiggle them off.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 08:28:19 AM »
Chris: Thanks. I see what you mean. I'll try giving them some stretches first before putting on. And thanks for the advice regarding getting them off: that helps.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com