Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Definitive stereo pre and A/D for Schoeps microphones  (Read 10234 times)

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Definitive stereo pre and A/D for Schoeps microphones
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 11:33:15 AM »
I don't think Tonedeaf's comment was presumptuous at all. I think it was very accurate. In fact, on your earlier post, you actually proved his point to be true when you recommended that the OP  use the  same setup that you currently use. (Which is very fine stuff,BTW)

I don't mean to start an argument here, just calling it like it appears.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 03:05:56 PM »
I don't think Tonedeaf's comment was presumptuous at all. I think it was very accurate. In fact, on your earlier post, you actually proved his point to be true when you recommended that the OP  use the  same setup that you currently use. (Which is very fine stuff,BTW)

Actually he said this, ".....isn't an objective response when so many people use one of the products that you list without having ANY experience with the others." I'm saying that I do have experience with other pres than the V3. In fact, I have run all of the others that I listed in my previous post and a couple more. I've been taping for 10 years and didn't start out with mk21>v3>722. After years of owning and trying various equipment my ears prefer the rig that I currently run. If I thought that something else sounded better, I would buy one. So, in conclusion, what I disagree with is the assertion that we have recommended the V3 without having any experience with other preamps. Not a huge deal, but kind of an odd blanket statement, IMO.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »

Actually he said this, ".....isn't an objective response when so many people use one of the products that you list without having ANY experience with the others." I'm saying that I do have experience with other pres than the V3. In fact, I have run all of the others that I listed in my previous post and a couple more. I've been taping for 10 years and didn't start out with mk21>v3>722. After years of owning and trying various equipment my ears prefer the rig that I currently run. If I thought that something else sounded better, I would buy one. So, in conclusion, what I disagree with is the assertion that we have recommended the V3 without having any experience with other preamps. Not a huge deal, but kind of an odd blanket statement, IMO.

i think he was referring to the not so common "taper preferred" pres - DAV, Forssell, , A-Designs Pacifica
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 03:22:57 PM »

i think he was referring to the not so common "taper preferred" pres - DAV, Forssell, , A-Designs Pacifica
Gottcha, that makes sense. If you don't need portability, the options open up a bit.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 03:26:51 AM »
i think im not alone when i say the v2(or v3 going analog out)into a benchmark AD2K is the best setup, if youre looking for a clean, neutral, non-colored sound wit a detailed soundstage. (which is why i prefer schoeps in the first place
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 08:42:27 AM »
I don't know whether the original poster is still watching this thread, but if so, just to clarify: There are numerous preamps (including pricey professional ones) that are designed and sold on the basis of having a particular sonic "character," which is really a form of euphonic distortion. These preamps are used for pop and rock music recording as "sound shaping tools," and people can become quite fond of their favorites and partisan about them, though naturally what kind of distortion you like to hear is a personal matter.

Many tube preamps fall into this category nowadays along with some solid-state units. But it is entirely possible for a preamp to have so little sonic "character" (distortion) of its own that it is effectively neutral and transparent--simply taking the signals that are fed into it and making them larger so that they can be passed along to a recorder or some other piece of equipment.

That end of the market is smaller because its main customers are classical music people, and the classical segment has done little but shrink in recent decades. Plus from a marketing standpoint, if you have a product with the "flavor of the month" you can sell it on that basis, but there is no "flavorlessness of the month." So "neutral" sound gets just one market niche, while each type of distortion that its purveyors can name will have a niche, too--guess who gets all the shelf space. (That happens with microphones as well.)

My point is that if you find a suitable, neutral-enough-sounding preamp, you will soon find that almost every other variable in the recording setup will matter more. Moving the mikes one foot higher or one foot closer or farther away will matter far more than the miniscule (for most listeners, absolutely undetectable) difference in sound between Millenia and Benchmark, for example. The quality of the equipment only gets you to a certain level of potential, and the preamp is the one part of your setup which ought to have the least audible effect if it's working the way you want it to.

--best regards
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:00:22 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 09:42:01 AM »
i think im not alone when i say the v2(or v3 going analog out)into a benchmark AD2K is the best setup, if youre looking for a clean, neutral, non-colored sound wit a detailed soundstage. (which is why i prefer schoeps in the first place

I have always considered Schoeps to be distinctly colored. In fact, there is not another mic brand that I can identify correctly more often just by listening to a recording than Schoeps. I am not saying they are not very clean and detailed, just that they are not neutral or non-colored to my ears.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 01:11:28 PM »
Try renting an API lunchbox.

I also liked these on piano in my limited stint at a studio with KM84s.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:17:04 PM by anodyne33 »
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com