Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6  (Read 111964 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 02:13:28 PM »
record your stereo till it cuts off ;)

Okay, but there's going to be a big difference between dynamic mics, phantom-powered, mini-plug, etc. I can run with 2 mics but what "type" or combo of types is going to be most helpful?

I would say for folks here phantom powered 2 channel since you have the mixpre-3.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline mitchellm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 02:56:39 PM »

I would say for folks here phantom powered 2 channel since you have the mixpre-3.

That will be simple enough. I'll try that tomorrow. Whether a person has Bluetooth on (or not) should make a difference, but I'll record without Bluetooth activated.

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 03:00:48 PM »
Hey mitchellm....  I know it's been discussed, but can you tell me if the MixPre-3 can record two XLR inputs and 3.5mm (mini-stereo) input at the same time... for a total of 4 tracks??

Hopefully Paul from Sound Devices still visits. Or you could email them directly and share the answer. Your scenario is not one I would ever do, and I don't really know how to set it up. If someone gave me detailed directions then I can be a good monkey and try it. :)

However, I did try with one phantom-powered XLR stereo mic and one lav mini-plug mic. I know I didn't set it up in the best way as I ended up with 5 tracks: essentially the XLR stereo results duplicated on 1-2 and 3-4 with a 5th track including the lav 3.5 input. I'm not a true audio person so I'm a bit out of my depth with these more complicated setups. But there seems to be some hope you could accomplish what you want. SD will know best, however.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 04:33:52 PM »
I got my MixPre 3 yesterday.  It's about the same size as an original MixPre.  Touchscreen works suprisingly well for it's small size.

It's seems like it should be possible to assign the 3.5mm (aux) input to the stereo mixdown tracks, and then keep the XLR 1 & 2 as ISO tracks only (or assign them to the stereo if you want to matrix all of it on the fly).
That way you could end up with 4 separate tracks to work with later.  But it does seem like, as the software is right now, that you cannot do this. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
I haven't had enough time to dive into the manual yet.  Answers may be in there...

Hey mitchellm....  I know it's been discussed, but can you tell me if the MixPre-3 can record two XLR inputs and 3.5mm (mini-stereo) input at the same time... for a total of 4 tracks??
And...  where is the power switch/button?
You seem to be the first person around here with a MP3 in your hands... 
Thanks.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
I got my MixPre 3 yesterday.  It's about the same size as an original MixPre.  Touchscreen works suprisingly well for it's small size.

It's seems like it should be possible to assign the 3.5mm (aux) input to the stereo mixdown tracks, and then keep the XLR 1 & 2 as ISO tracks only (or assign them to the stereo if you want to matrix all of it on the fly).
That way you could end up with 4 separate tracks to work with later.  But it does seem like, as the software is right now, that you cannot do this. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
I haven't had enough time to dive into the manual yet.  Answers may be in there...

And...  where is the power switch/button?
You seem to be the first person around here with a MP3 in your hands... 
Thanks.
i didn't comment because I don't know for sure or have one but the way I read it you can't do four track the way he is asking.
It's three tracks and two as a mix down
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »
Any plans to put the Wingman app out on the Android platform for us peasants?  I don't want to buy an old Apple device just to have remote control.

Highly doubtful, I think.  There are only iOS versions of their other remote apps, such as the WiFi control for the 788 which has been around a long time as iOS only.  Same deal with the Zoom F series, practically every plug in mic system, the best audio apps, etc. >:(

Really annoying for us Android users and others who don't want to buy Apple products, but I imagine it must be easier to develop iOS apps due to the limited hardware variation and non-fragmented software.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 10:23:41 PM »
Original thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181803.0

why do we start new threads?  what's the point?  kind of muddies up the board.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 10:37:03 PM »
Original thread:

The site (backend, I guess) gets pissed off when the thread has too many pages. I guess 25 was picked because it was safe to go that far.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 10:50:21 PM »
Original thread:

The site (backend, I guess) gets pissed off when the thread has too many pages. I guess 25 was picked because it was safe to go that far.

surely that's something held over from the 90's on dialups?  i'm on boards with the same client that has never ending threads.  no problems. 

seems weird.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 11:54:26 PM »
Possible Disadvantages compared to the 7 series: No pre-record, no digital in, no hold button. No internal dual media recording (not an option on 702 so a wash there). Media size so far limited to 32GB (but 512 to be supported?). No time code generator (not relevant to what we do though)
Advantages over the 7 series: smaller size, better powering options , better preamps?
Questions to be answered: A/D quality, metering, limter utility
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:58:32 PM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline levoui

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 05:05:15 AM »
42m29s on 4 AAs running phantom on two channels.
Schoeps MK4 / MK21 / DPA 4022 / Rode NT4 / NT5 omni caps
SD MixPre-3 / SD MixPre-D / Edirol R-09HR

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 07:10:38 AM »

You're kidding. Isn't it supposed to be around 2 hours?

Also, for devices allegedly designed for "blogger, youtubers" (I think the man said) these are so complicated people have to post questions repeatedly how to use them. That's not good, even the basic mode is not exactly for dummies.

Since these devices are game changers in price, quality and functions, I'll wait for someone to release a high quality device for dummies. I don't have the patience to read long manuals, and even with the 702 I forgot how to make it work every time (I don't tape often enough).

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
Has anyone done a runtime test on as batteries yet?
on my mp3  2channel  Phantom telefunkin m60's ( 2.37 hrs) 4 aa sled . still waiting on 8aa sled . usbc works great .

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 07:50:24 AM »

I was expecting maybe 90 minutes given they Paul says "2-3 hours depending on what's powered up, how many phantoms..." and 5-6 for the 8AA caddy.
https://youtu.be/RNwDioNH3RA?t=198

I was trying to decide if I wanted to buy the 8 AA caddy or the L mount caddy. If I'm going to only get 80-90 minutes with 4 channels phantom on 8AA, that accessory is pretty useless for me. I really like the slim profile on it compared to the way the L batteries attach, but whatever

EDIT: Was the 43 minutes recorded to poly wav? I'm surprised that you get that much more recording time on mp3 compared to wav.
EDIT2: I didn't see where mp3 was an option. Reading the manual again, I only saw wav an option
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:21:51 AM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 07:54:38 AM »
I bet this thing will kick ass using a baby-nbox. Not asking the mixpre3 to power the mics should up the runtime considerably using only the 4 AA batteries.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com