Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MIC PREAMP ON THE CHEAP  (Read 3994 times)

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
MIC PREAMP ON THE CHEAP
« on: April 18, 2004, 10:09:42 AM »
Ok, first post so take it easy!  Obviously this is intended for those on a seriously low budget.  Those with cash need not look  :P

Go to www.canakit.com

Look for UK495  Preassembled it is $9.71  For stereo you will need 2.

Add a Serpac enclosure, and a couple of 3.5mm minijacks and a miniswitch.

you will need to remove one of the battery snaps and jumper the power from one board to the other.  You will also have to tie the grounds together for the minijacks.

If you do all this right, you will have a mic preamp with phantom power, on the VERY cheap.

Total cost  round $30 (depending on what parts you have to buy)

you could try to leave the cheapie mic elements in and switch them out ALA  Sound Professionals,  but I wouldn't think the mic's would sound that great.

Will take some digital pics when I can.

Here is the circuit board

« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 05:29:51 PM by mikesus »
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re:MIC PREAMP ON THE CHEAP
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 02:38:13 PM »
That is pretty cool!

Mike I think the part you have is for the unassembled kit. Here's the assembled one.

http://www.canakit.com/Default.asp?Contents=/Include/Template/MenuCat.asp&Main=http://www.canakit.com/Contents/Items/UK495.asp

I wonder if the capsules could be switched out with the panasonic ones that people use for the altoid box mics. This seems like a pretty cool project to play around with.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 02:41:05 PM by jmwils1 »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 03:11:58 PM »
+T Very Nice. I love to see this original, innovative stuff!

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 05:19:29 PM »
UK495 is the part for assembled or unassembled.  You have to look it up under the assembled stuff.  Or if you are really up for a challenge, save 2 bucks and assemble it yourself.  

So far the only weirdness is that if the mics are not connected you will get a hetrodyne noise.  I tried taping today at church and it sounded pretty good for as far back as we sat.  

Setup

Mics > Preamp > NJB3  

Definately helped to have the gain on the Jukebox set to +6 (prolly could go +9 for the quiet stuff)  0 was definately too quiet by itself, but for a loud venue it might work ok.  

Think I am going to throw another one together with the original MIC elements and see how they sound...

"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 05:28:24 PM »
If you want it to look really cool, combine it with this:

And if you want to get really funky, add a 3 band spectrum analyzer

You could have a VU meter and a combined spectrum analyzer.  

Course the more das blinkin lights the better chance that the tape gestapo will get ya, but the VU meter could be at least useful...

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 05:31:22 PM »
That is pretty cool!

Mike I think the part you have is for the unassembled kit. Here's the assembled one.

http://www.canakit.com/Default.asp?Contents=/Include/Template/MenuCat.asp&Main=http://www.canakit.com/Contents/Items/UK495.asp

I wonder if the capsules could be switched out with the panasonic ones that people use for the altoid box mics. This seems like a pretty cool project to play around with.

As long as the panasonics will take 9v, it should.

Now I just need to search around for a -20db pad circuit...

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 08:43:35 PM »
According to the Digi-Key website, they are voltage rated at 2V, but the bat box that powers them is 9V.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 10:22:14 AM »
http://mp3forkidz.com/mic/

this is the altoid mic box, if anyone was wondering....

such a cool idea

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 12:21:29 PM »
really cool link!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.132 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com