Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic2496 - anyone got one?  (Read 5684 times)

Offline bogus51501

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Mic2496 - anyone got one?
« on: May 18, 2004, 04:19:22 PM »
So "the newest of the newbie tapers" (that's me!) mics showed up yesterday...

Core's HEBs with the DPA capsules.

I also figured why not and got a Mic2496 while I was at it...

So, what I have now is:

Core HEBS > Mic2496 > optical cable > NJB3

I am trying to use the Mic2496 to power the HEBs - but I can't get the 48v phantom power LED to come on no matter what... I am getting sound thru the HEBs so I "guess" they are getting powered.

The other odd thing is that I can pretty easily get the clipping LEDs on the Mic2496 to come on just by yelling loudly or whatever... I kind of thought the HEBs had such a high SPL that it would be tough to get clipping?

Are these two things related?

Is it possible that mic2496 is powering the mics but not with "phantom power" and so their SPL is reduced?

Or am I completely misinterpreting things and don't know what all the LEDs mean?

I don't really notice the clipping on the recording but I haven't come up with anything that could produce a sustained volume yet - it's basically just yell or clap hands or something so it's loud and quick - but your average show is going to be louder, and I'd kind of like to work it out before then :).

Thanks,

Mike
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 04:20:59 PM by bogus51501 »

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
Re:Mic2496 - anyone got one?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 05:29:55 PM »
I'm a newbie as well and can't answer all your questions.  I use Mic2496.  The phantom power LED should light up when you toggle the switch into the on position.  You can use a multi-tester to figure out whether it is sending power through the mini xlr jack.  Regardless of whether it is powering the mics or not, I'd probably send it back to have the LED light fixed.

I can't say whether the clipping is related to the phantom power problem, but that's a good guess.  How are your gain controls set when the clipping occurs?
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 05:53:34 PM »
Sorry, not really familiar with either piece of equipment.  That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the Core Sounds HEBs are wired like a lot of those stealth omni capsules to run off of "plug in power" of DAT decks or off of "battery boxes".  This is not the same as 48v phantom power.  If the Mic2496 is wired to provide true 48v phantom power, this may not be what the HEBs need if they are wired for plug in power and can in fact damage them.

Before experimenting anymore, I'd suggest calling up Len and getting his input.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 05:54:23 PM by Todd R »
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline bogus51501

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 06:02:04 PM »
I "think" I was able to get clipping no matter where I had the gain at... obviously if I turned it all the way up it was easier but I think I managed even with it all the way down.

Which one is the "on position"? I couldn't tell!:)

Is there some trick to the switch - is yours a "pull to switch" type of thing?

The one in the pictures looks more like the toggles for 44/48 and 1x/2x on the other side... but mine is a big switch that you have to pull out a bit to get to work. I'm not totally sure why the one switch would be a different type but it is.

Actually, that 9v battery thing is kinda tricky too - have you found a good way to do that or do you just have to build experience and know when you have it all the way in... man, that sounds dirty.

Offline bogus51501

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 06:23:58 PM »
Sorry, not really familiar with either piece of equipment.  That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the Core Sounds HEBs are wired like a lot of those stealth omni capsules to run off of "plug in power" of DAT decks or off of "battery boxes".  This is not the same as 48v phantom power.  If the Mic2496 is wired to provide true 48v phantom power, this may not be what the HEBs need if they are wired for plug in power and can in fact damage them.

Before experimenting anymore, I'd suggest calling up Len and getting his input.

Yes, I'll be calling Len or e-mailing him... actually I would have e-mailed him now but work has unfortunately blocked third-party e-mails because of virus concerns.

I got the kind without the battery box that are configured to be powered by Mic2496. Maybe I should have gotten the battery box but it seemed like one less thing to carry.

Since Mic2496 provides phantom I guess I assumed that meant they worked with phantom.. but you are correct, it doesn't come right out and say that - it just says Mic2496 provides "appropriate" power for them.

However, I would think that the phantom LED would come on whether or not I had a mic even plugged in - so it seems like something is funny there.

Expensive gear frightens me!

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 09:16:13 AM »
Call, don't email.  Len is notorious for not responding to email.  You can usually get him on the phone.

Yes, the HEBs should work nicely with the phantom power from Misc2496.
The switches on the Mic2496 are pull-out then toggle.  The switch on the side of the unit that has the LEDs is the one that controls the phantom power.  When you switch it to the on position (up), the LED should go on.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline dano420

• Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 05:57:03 PM »
I also use the mic2496 mostly with the at853rx mics. I haven't had any issues with the phantom power led coming on but noticed that the gain is extremely sensitive. It doesn't take much to go from a "green" level to a "red" clipping level. I'm still getting use to setting levels. I have done shows where it clips into red briefly and doesn't seems to affect the overall quality of the sound so I'm sure it would affect it greatly if it was constantly in the red.

I've also used MBHO's into the mic2496 with good results.

Offline rePat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 12:40:23 PM »
When I was ordering my MIC2496, I asked Len if the phantom power of the unit could replace the battery box of my HEB's.  He said the unit would have to be modified to provide the correct power (6v?) to the HEB's.  I opted not to go that way, since I want to upgrade to DPA 4021's eventually and they require 48v.

Keep us posted,

Pat  
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 06:08:42 PM »
I don't agree that 406X will run off of 48V phantom, however, you can turn off the phantom power and run an mps-60X0 in front

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 05:56:03 PM »
I don't agree that 406X will run off of 48V phantom, however, you can turn off the phantom power and run an mps-60X0 in front

Yes they will :

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/module.php?MID=101&itemid=4060-BM&PID=&function=pdescription

"A wide range of connection adapters makes it possible to use the Miniature Microphones with close to any professional wireless systems available plus 48 V Phantom."
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 06:10:11 PM »
There are xlr>microdot adaptors that will pass the correct voltage to the 406x mics.  DPA part # DAD6001.  I use them occationally with my V3 and UA5 - very handy.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 07:13:55 PM »

Yes they will :

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/module.php?MID=101&itemid=4060-BM&PID=&function=pdescription

"A wide range of connection adapters makes it possible to use the Miniature Microphones with close to any professional wireless systems available plus 48 V Phantom."

ok, forgot to add the word directly.  Same deal with ATs

Offline DPA

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2004, 01:57:06 PM »
actually the Miniature series of DPA's run off of 7 volts. Our 3 pin XLR adaptor (DAD6001), as well as our 35 or so other adaptors all have "power management" circuitry in them, a network of resistors and in some cases some caps as well, that allow us to throw 48 volts to the adaptors that then cut the voltage down to (+/-) 7 volts. The mics will run on as little as 5 volts with virtually no performance penalty.
Hook up the mic directly to 48 volts and you will smoke the preamp stage.

Bruce Myers, President,DPA Microphones, Inc.
bm@dpamicrophones.com

Offline DPA

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 02:22:42 PM »
Hey, Team DPA
We are ready on the 1st of June to release a new Miniature series mic pre that also provides the 4060 series with phantom power. Following is the Press Release

DPA ASSURES RELIABILITY AND QUALITY SOUND WITH MMA6000 MINIATURE MICROPHONE AMP AND POWER SUPPLY

New from DPA Microphones is the MMA6000, a high quality microphone amplifier and power supply for portable stereo recording, designed for use with all DPA miniature microphones.

For professional and hobby recording applications in the field, on stage or at home the MMA6000 is an indispensable tool, offering a higher sound quality than the microphone input on most portable devices and providing the extra security needed to feel completely safe and self-sufficient in any recording situation.

Designed for use with any of DPA’s miniature microphones, the MMA6000 is a front-end device providing two independent identical channels with individual gain settings in one rugged box. It can be operated either by internal battery or optionally via an external 12 to 30 V DC power supply. A three-color LED indicates the power mode.

Inputs are fitted with MicroDot connectors which also provide the supply voltage for the micro-phones. Gain is controlled by a 16-position switch in increments of 2.5 dB from 0 dB to 37.5 dB. A common low cut switch-in filter for both channels provides a 12 dB/octave,100 Hz low cut. The output is a 3.5mm stereo mini jack connector.

The MMA6000 can easily be attached to a belt, strap or bag pocket by use of the supplied removable clip with four different mounting options.

For more information, please visit http://www.dpamicrophones.com or contact:

DPA Microphones, Inc.
Phone: (303) 823-8878
Info-usa@dpamicrophones.com

DPA Microphones, USA
bm@dpamicrophones.com

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 10:12:26 PM »
And this improves their performance/specs?

"providing the extra security needed to feel completely safe and self-sufficient in any recording situation."

Also, wonder what you mean by this.
Thanks!
Armen (satisfied 4061 user)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com