Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which MD player should I get?  (Read 6099 times)

Offline rags22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Which MD player should I get?
« on: October 07, 2003, 02:12:18 PM »
Hello all -

I'm still just getting into bootlegs, and for me the first step is to get a MD player.  I've never had one, so I don't know all the nuances.  I'll probably end up buying mine online, but I was looking at a pair they're selling at Best Buy:

They have the Sony  MZ-NE410 for $100, but the Sony MZ-NF610 for $200.  The only difference I notice is that the more expensive one has a radio tuner remote.  I will mainly be using this player for "stealth" recording of rock concerts (once I get all the mic, etc.), and I was hoping some of you guys could give me suggestions - is one of these Sonys far superior then the other?  Are they total crap?  Any personal experience?

Thanks  

DaryanLenz

Re:Which MD player should I get?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 02:29:14 PM »
Get a jb3...I for one do not like to see MD in sources if a non-compressed variety is availible.  I think you may be happier, and have more money in your pocket with a jb3!

Daryan

Offline rags22

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 02:44:27 PM »
Well, I have an old JB, but the whole point of getting a MD recorder was that I don't want a recorder the size of a cd-player.  I'd like to hide my stuff... not flaunt it.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 03:09:27 PM »
i've been out of minidisc recording for a couple years, but i'm sure there are some people on the board that can speak from personal experience on which models they prefer.
frankly, i think most md recorders are about the same these days...just make sure it has the features you want on it, and for the sake of pleasant listening don't use and of those lp modes to record, you're going to seriously degrade your quality that way.  
while some people frown on the compression scheme of md, it really is not that noticeable unless you have a very distinguished ear and a nice playback system, so if it sounds okay to you, don't let anybody tell you not to get it because of the sound quality loss.
the reality is md is affordable, convenient, and very portable and stealthable.  it is a great way for someone to start getting into taping without plunging head first into what can become a very expensive hobby.
good luck!  and keep asking questions!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Styx Cover Band

• Taperssection Member
  • AKG C1000s>AT CP8201>JB3
    • Bills Trading List
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 03:09:32 PM »
Well, I have an old JB, but the whole point of getting a MD recorder was that I don't want a recorder the size of a cd-player.  I'd like to hide my stuff... not flaunt it.

Get a sharp, you can change the levels on the fly.
-Bill
When you start a cover band who says Styx?

They say ostrich has less fat, but you eat more of it

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 04:19:15 PM »
Yes. Sharp all the way!

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 09:34:12 PM »
Ya, I liked my Sharp MD-MT180 more than any of the other 3 or 4 mds ive owned...

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 10:04:45 PM »

Get a sharp, you can change the levels on the fly.
[

sony's adjust on the fly too.. you just have to know how to do it.. check this thread.

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=7149
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 10:42:38 PM »
I would still go with the sharp, every sony i have ever had and every sony owned by friends has broken. :( Honestly i would go with a used Sharp (dont go to old, the older ATRAC compression sounds like ass) and put the extra $$ on mics.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 05:34:11 AM »
check www.minidisc.org and browse the equipment.  Find some of the newer sharp models and proceed to ebay!

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 12:45:56 PM »
And watch the word "bootlegs" around here. ;)
Armen

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 02:22:32 PM »
the Sony MZR-700 is a beast too!

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2003, 03:38:25 PM »
It IS a beast, no doubt about that

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2003, 03:43:14 PM »
I would still go with the sharp, every sony i have ever had and every sony owned by friends has broken. :( Honestly i would go with a used Sharp (dont go to old, the older ATRAC compression sounds like ass) and put the extra $$ on mics.

I agree with you about the Sharp, but you should see the abuse that I have put my Sony through over the past few years.  It still works like a charm after running 30 miles/week with it, throwing it 10 feet, bouncing it off cement, carpet, and a wall, taping metal shows, and other stuff.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2003, 03:50:09 PM »
My MZ-R700 even went swimming at Ozzy this summer! I've licked that poor son of a bitch so many times, yet guess what still ticks...

taperkat

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2003, 11:34:50 PM »
I have 2 MD-MS722's and they've both easily done about 200+ shows a piece. Sharp all the way. :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com