Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ANyone help me out with fixing a DIY DigiMod UA5?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
ANyone help me out with fixing a DIY DigiMod UA5?
« on: January 07, 2006, 03:46:54 PM »
Well, I was given this UA5 from a friend with the knowledge that he had tried the Digi mod and it was not working. I had hopped to simply use it through the analog outs to my D8 for awhile until I could find someone to fix the attempted digi mod or try it myself. Well, the analog out won't work at all so I'm looking a bit sooner than I had hoped.

Looks like the Surfaced mounted resitor at R8 was taken off and the trace was cut as well. From what I've read, only one of those needed to be done. I'm not expert when it comes to this kind of stuff by any means so if anyone might be willing to try and fix it I'd be very grateful and would pay for any costs and time.

I may pick up some supplies and try it myself, but I thought I'd ask around here as well.

Thanks
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
Re: ANyone help me out with fixing a DIY DigiMod UA5?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 08:54:21 PM »
not sure if this helps, but I know you can buy a pen that can re-write the trace on the board.  they work pretty well too.
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 09:26:21 PM »
I was going to try that this week sometime. I think I'll have to redo the jumper as well. I'm thinking it's not the kind of wire that will condcut properly. Seemed like the worng kind of wire (just bare silver wire).

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 10:12:50 PM »
I was going to try that this week sometime. I think I'll have to redo the jumper as well. I'm thinking it's not the kind of wire that will condcut properly. Seemed like the worng kind of wire (just bare silver wire).

that wire really needs to have some sort of insulation!  If your comfortable with this stuff open her up and jump in.  it's really not that hard. if not bring it to any local electronics repair center with a decent reputaion and it wont cost but $30.00 at the most.  or send it off to one of the many people on this board that are willing to help, but really it's simple and should be quicker and cheaper just paying a local to do it.  nick (nicks picks) has a decent how to on his site. do a search and you'll find it.

good luck
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 11:06:32 PM »
I'm ok with trying out. I'm a graphics head and not much of a electronics guy. Buy I've read quite a bit on doing the mod from a few sites. Since the resitor is off. I'm hoping that I can use a pen to redo the traces and then redo the jumper. Like I said it didn't look like anything that would pass a signal. I'm making a rat shack trip this week sometime. I was mostly seeing f anyone had time as that's my biggest delay (kids, busy season at work, ect. ect.) but who knows I may get to it this week.

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 11:13:58 PM »
If it's just a cut trace your trying to bridge you can use the bare silver wire you mentioned as long as it's solid and not stranded wire. We re-trace pcb boards from old VGA monitors all the time with the excess posts from through hole solder caps all the time. You may have to remove a bit of conformal coating on the exsisting trace in order for solder to actually adhere to it properly. BTW - Those trace pens suck! And if you do get one to work for you it would only be band-aid fix. 
If you need a hand let me know...   
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 08:13:34 PM »
If it's just a cut trace your trying to bridge you can use the bare silver wire you mentioned as long as it's solid and not stranded wire. We re-trace pcb boards from old VGA monitors all the time with the excess posts from through hole solder caps all the time. You may have to remove a bit of conformal coating on the exsisting trace in order for solder to actually adhere to it properly. BTW - Those trace pens suck! And if you do get one to work for you it would only be band-aid fix. 
If you need a hand let me know...   
dB-
Thanks, I may just try some fine soldering. But I may try that trace pen just to see if I can get some kind of signal.

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 09:24:18 PM »
I solder every day... I'd fix your pre If'n you send it to me.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 10:14:02 PM »
I solder every day... I'd fix your pre If'n you send it to me.

bdsaliva's good peeps.  if you need to send it out to someone he's a good first choice.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.315 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com