Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: very simple setup for stealth recording  (Read 50585 times)

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: very simple setup for stealth recording
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2008, 05:22:55 PM »
Yo Simon,
Hey man, I don't know wtf happened, on my handset the quotes are all f'ed up and I read what I cut as one statement from someone else. Not even talking to you. You're a good taper :P

Ps.whenever I see that word "bullocks" I have to laugh my ass off...still haven't figured out exactly what it means, but its funny none-the-less.
Later.
-J

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2008, 05:52:50 PM »
Yo Simon,
Hey man, I don't know wtf happened, on my handset the quotes are all f'ed up and I read what I cut as one statement from someone else. Not even talking to you. You're a good taper :P

Ps.whenever I see that word "bullocks" I have to laugh my ass off...still haven't figured out exactly what it means, but its funny none-the-less.
Later.
-J

K mate, no worries.  :P
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline jacobmyers

• Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2008, 02:21:09 AM »
"I have one motto for taping, either do it properly or not at all.That's precisely why I don't mess around with "stealth" recording. I've recorded a few shows in "stealth", so I can understand and respect the desire to do it. I mean; it's a little "f--k you to The Man""

I take your comment as , unless you're "open" taping, you're not doing it "right"...am I reading this wrong?

The majority of stealth tapers aren't doing as a big "fuck you" to anyone....they are doing it because it needs to get taped and people like you aren't gonna get it done. Bottom line.

Wow. You're so completely wrong that I'm not sure where to begin correcting your assumptions. Your apparent crusade to pigeonhole me as one of your "elitist open-only lifestyle tapers" is more than slightly amusing. I hope you had fun. But seem to have jumped to a lot of conclusions about my attitudes and what I do (even before you admitted that you didn't "get" what I wrote) and you made yourself look like a semi-literate boor with anger control issues and a shitty phone.

What I meant is that I (personally) don't "stealth tape" anymore. Later in that post, I explained why I don't. And I never said that I hadn't heard great-sounding "stealth" tapes; I just said that most of them I've heard sound like shit (including some of my own). It's like you just picked some words out of what I wrote, inferred an inaccurate meaning, and went off on some sanctimonious tirade about your "lifestyle taper" bogeyman. Thanks for the laugh!

P.S. - My congratulations on being appointed the mouthpiece for The Majority of Stealth Tapers! You're just looking for something to vilify, aren't you! It doesn't matter to you if you understand the meaning or not! Allow me to elaborate on what I wrote to clarify the meaning for you: recording without the OK of the venue and/or the artist is like saying, "Fuck you jerks, this shit needs to get taped and I'm doing it whether you let me or not." And that's totally cool with me; I've not only done it, I'd still do it if I could.

You're not going to find any moralistic bullshit from me regarding "Open vs. Stealth". I truly don't care what anyone tapes or how they do it as long as it sounds good. I do agree that the primary "mission" (of any taper) is to "get the tape", but if sound quality didn't matter Mr. Church wouldn't sell microphones, Mr. Oade and Mr. Johnson wouldn't modify recorders, and you'd record every show you "stealth" with a monophonic micro-cassette recorder shoved up your ass. I'm fairly certain that no one actually does that (but the world's a big place and stranger things have happened). Whatever. It's been fun.

nameloc01

« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2008, 06:24:26 AM »
Actually, thank you for the laugh. I clearly stated I missread that as my phone jumbled several quotes together. So, apparently, something I said "elsewhere" put a bug up your ass, but you dont say anything then, you wait til' I misread something (else) to attack,..lol. Maybe, next time when you have a beef with some topic you should grow some nuts and speak up  that inital instant. Really, that's weak. I'm hardly trying to vilify anyone, nor am I drawing "lines" between stealth tapers and open tapers, as I have stated, as apparently you didn't understand. Dude, I'm not the only one with the opinion" of "lifestyle" tapers, seriously...its a rather commonly known concept and basically has turned into a joke in other forums. Look around. So, maybe if you wanna try to win some arguement/debate with me, do it when I didn't missread something, as that's the only time its gonna legitimately count, not that you're gonna win, but feel free to try.
Back to topic now.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2008, 11:47:39 AM »
Yikes, what a mess of a thread. 

I started taping back in 2003 just to capture my the experience of attending a concert and even more importantly, to see how the recording came out...kinda like a experiment out of curiousity's sake since I've always been interested in the recreation of sound.  I generally stealth because frankly, I hate jam bands.  I'll admit I get a kick out of stealthing, but the most exciting part (besides being at the show) is to hear the audio I captured on my gear.  I've had many moments of having a big grin on my face upon listening back to my recordings.  I think this is the essence of stealth taping.

Also, I think its safe to say the large majority of stealth tapers are not bootleggers.  The bootleggers are people who sit on the sidelines downloading shows from places like dime and then burning them, making some cheap artwork and selling them on ebay. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2008, 11:47:49 AM »
My "mouthpiece" is doing a great job..carry on.

Oh, and it's "bollocks" not "bullocks". The difference is 800lbs of hot steamy flesh, and, er..
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline jacobmyers

• Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2008, 03:25:37 PM »
@ nameloc
About this "speak up that initial instant" drivel from you; that's just sad. I had things to do out in the "world". So when I do "check in" here at TS, I find some vitriol from you that's clearly directed at me personally. So I put facts where your assumptions were and threw in some sarcasm for good measure. And your reply is hilarious. Thanks again for the laughs.

nameloc01

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2008, 03:52:06 PM »
Dude,seriously..
I stated I missread those quotes..thus anything I stated made on those missreads should be disregarded. I thought that was a given. SORRY!
And by you mentioning the "lifestyle taper" thing, apparently this bothers you..either you are one of those "elitist" misguided people who cause drama here, are obsessed with the "T's" thing, and berade and belittle others based on what music they listen to, their gear or the method in which they tape (stealth/open).....OR basically you are not one of those people.. You are..or you are not. And if you are not then my comments have absolutely no reason to bother you. It is a very well known fact of the constant drama-i guess you could call it- here..its a constant topic of discussion elsewhere, and that's why A LOT of tapers don't even come here..I can probably name 15 that I know personally. And its the one thing from keeping this site from becoming (even) better than it already is. Notice the constant drama and negativity doesn't ever go on anywhere else (at least on the scale it does here) ??  The reason, is because, again of the small number of closet "elitists" here. Simple as that. And if you actually spend just a few minutes reading any of my posts, it would be clear they are *ONLY* directed at the people that bring this place down from where,at least I, feel it could/should be.
Now, you may be (one of those "elitists", you may not be..I dunno.
Point is, when you first read that  (whenever it was) if you had a problem with it, you should have said something. Not waiting for me to make a statement that was,as I stated based on wrong info...somehow trying to incorporate the two into the same issue. I mean..really.-c'mon.
I still haven't went back and looked at the quotes as they actually are, as my handset is not displaying the (quotes) pages correctly..but just Simon pointing it out, was enough to illustrate my mistake. Lighten up...and you talk about me having anger issues? You obviously have never met me.
Ugh.so..not sure what else to tell you.
Now, that this thread went to hell..maybe we could possibly push it back on track. maybe.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »
Hello all,
I would like to record a concert that I will be attending in a couple of weeks, sitting in the first row. I have zero experience and would like to work with a very simple setup... I want to enjoy the concert and not to have to be paranoid about being caught and don't want to bother with fake earplugs mics, glass clipped mics, or stuff like that. I thought about simply putting a zoom H2 in the front pocket of my shirt but after checking the dimensions it looks like it is a little too big and it wouldn't be discreet enough (remember I will be on the first row!). Then I thought, why not put it in the slightly larger front pocket of a business suit. Yet it will still be obvious that I have something in that pocket. I also checked the dimensions of the Tascam recorder, which is a little taller but also thinner. But I think the metal mics of the Tascam will be particularly obvious, especially for someone looking from above (in particular from the stage). Another possibility would be to wear one of those very thin silk scarves one sometimes wear with suits to hide the pocket. Do you think that makes sense or does it sound like the best recipe for getting something absolutely inaudible? Also what about having the recorder inside a (non closed) bag, on my laps?
Any suggestion is welcome as long as the budget remains reasonable and it's simple enough...
Thanks a lot in advance for your kind help!

As somebody who owns an H2 and for grins tried recording with it in my shirt pocket I can say A: it will fit a shirt pocket and B: you probably wont be happy with the results. You'll get something. It wont be great. It may be muffled, it will have rustling noises if you move much, it will pickup anyone talking around you.
Here's an MP3 of an H2 just sitting on a rail (not in my pocket) at an Obama election night rally. As you can hear, its better than nothing but the sound isn't great (speakers blocked by bodies) and you hear people around me talking:
http://yodaslai.ipower.com/bradfordvilleblues/media/ObamaRally-2008-11-04/Set1-mp3/JohnnieMarshall-ObamaRally-2008-11-04--3.mp3
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2008, 04:10:37 PM »
My "mouthpiece" is doing a great job..carry on.

Agreed 100%  ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2008, 08:06:07 PM »
im sure its been said b4, but church audio makes some great stuff and it is very simple to use like beginingers like myself.
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2008, 03:50:12 AM »
I say go for it.  Something is better than nothing.  Everyone has to start out somewhere.

Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2008, 11:21:45 PM »
I say go for it.  Something is better than nothing.  Everyone has to start out somewhere.
Yep, even this thread has to get good sometime!!  8)

I have the H2, and have never made a "shirt pocket" recording with the internal mics, but have been perfectly happy with the internal mics when I put the thing on a stand, or set it somewhere that sounds decent. It may overload from intense sound pressure and the built-in mics are certainly not as good as a nice set of Neumanns (personal experience!) but it's still well worth going out and seeing what happens. I think I recall from the start of this wild excuse for a thread, that the topic was something like "should I even try?"

YES! Do go for it. At the worst, you'll learn a few things to do wrong, and maybe still be able to re-create a setlist from the show and some usable stage banter. At best you will come home with "a thing of beauty and a joy forever" - actually you will probably fall somewhere in between, as I do most nights with my 1000+ show experience!! Really, now, who here made a kickass recording their first time out. I know I read that somebody did it, but I would bet that most people managed to botch more than a few before getting a really good "keeper".

MONO? I have made good mono recordings in the past month! I ran my neumanns in a situation where the best move was to put in earplugs and stand next to a speaker. No real reason to try to make that "stereo" in my opinion. ..  Sure, I could have used the second channel, the one with all the crowd response, but I did some listening tests, and I was most pleased with the direct-sounding "speaker mic" doubled into mono, and screw the crowd and room response. I didn't make the rookie mistake of deleting the other channel, but I dumped the show down to CD without it! Yep. Mono. Perfectly happy with it too. Of course, the next time I saw the same performer at the same venue, I stood near the speaker and turned the mics to try to face them both towards the area of maximum sound pressure. Did not succeed 100%, but it was at least worth boosting the low channel and mixing it down to stereo. Thousands of shows in and I'm still learning a little something almost every gig.

Great debate here, and I don't miss the +t -t BS whatsoever. Thanks to all who have posted. Even if it seems like an argument here, it's only due to strong opinions and recordists who actually give a sh!t. My final thought for now is GO! RECORD IT! You will probably learn something, and you might even make a decent recording, and even if you become too picky to enjoy it, someone who didn't think to bring a deck will be damn glad to take ANYTHING you might wind up with!!!

^-^
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline owainturner

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2011, 10:50:44 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but for those that still wonder about this question...

I've recorded a few concerts with the H2 in my top pocket... they come out great for simple singer-songwriter shows...

example;

http://soundcloud.com/thedogfather/brian-houston-woman-out-of-you

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2aQ54dpYoQ

however, not so good for louder rock shows...

Offline badronald

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2011, 10:36:08 PM »
I missed this thread the first time around.  Now I want to know what happened with the OP?

I'm glad I didn't read this before my first attempts at taping or I would have been discouraged.  I've stealthed several times with an H2/ext mics and was glad every single time. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com