Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Personal opinions on sound descriptions  (Read 7167 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Personal opinions on sound descriptions
« on: May 15, 2010, 01:00:04 AM »
While I can make out most of them, I'm curious to know what people actually think when they use them (both emotionally and statistically, i.e. in terms of frequency responses and whatnot).

What, say, would be the difference between a "brighter" mic and a "warmer" mic.  Presence, transparency, up-front sound, airy ect...   

As I'm not familiar with most of these, feel free to post on any of the relatively subjective terms that come to mind.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Personal opinions on sound descriptions
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »
I tend to think of "bright" as "great highs, I wish it had more bass."  I tend to think of "warm" as "great bass, I wish it had more treble".

I also think "bright" is more "precise" in its presentation of the music, while "warm" is a little "fatter". 

These are extreme generalities, though...  I think others can give you a better definition...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline achalsey

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 04:20:33 AM »

I also think "bright" is more "precise" in its presentation of the music, while "warm" is a little "fatter"

These are extreme generalities, though...  I think others can give you a better definition...

Terry

This is half why I asked, more of a character study/psych evaluation.   >:D

Obviously these terms (such as "fatter") mean different things to different people, but most make sense when you think about it.  That being said though, I assumed "bright" and "warm" were describing generally the same quality.  Thanks for input.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
a ts.com favourite which should be analyzed..      spitty!
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »
From the link above, an audio glossary posted in Stereophile which I've found useful in the past.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:03:28 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline achalsey

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
Wow, thats a serious list, but exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I can't wait to actually say "damn, I just got a really polite, chocolaty recording, sweet!"   ::)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »
I tend to think of "bright" as "great highs, I wish it had more bass."  I tend to think of "warm" as "great bass, I wish it had more treble".

I also think "bright" is more "precise" in its presentation of the music, while "warm" is a little "fatter". 

These are extreme generalities, though...

I'll agree with that. Brighter can be attributed to both transient snap and HF content, where as warm can be looser/slower transient response and more <500hz (especially sub 150hz in my experience). In that aspect it's unfortunate that people seem to use them interchangeably even though there are many examples where both meanings are applicable (correctly).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »
"Warm" is the most overused word on this forum, bar none.  It is used to describe anything with transformers, any type of microphone in existence, or any type of gear that somebody may like.  Basically, the only things that are not "warm" are Graham-Patten preamplifiers and A/D converters (the DMIC-20 and the ADC-20).  Grace Design stuff is warm, but only in isolation.  If you compare any Grace Design preamplifiers to another piece of equipment that is not made by Graham-Patten, the Grace stuff is "detailed" while the other equipment is "warm."  If you are describing a Grace preamp, you could say, "man, Trey was really on last night; good thing my V3 has that nice warm sound to bring it out.  That guy over there was running a 722; I prefer a more detailed sound.  That 722 is just too warm for me!"

If you say something is "bright," fine, it has an accentuated high end.  If you say something is "dark," it has an accentuated low end.  If you say something is "warm," then it does not have a piece of equipment made by Graham-Patten in the signal chain.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 09:20:56 PM »
If you say something is "bright," fine, it has an accentuated high end.  If you say something is "dark," it has an accentuated low end.  If you say something is "warm," then it does not have a piece of equipment made by Graham-Patten in the signal chain.

:lol: (true)

a ts.com favourite which should be analyzed..      spitty!

:lol:  That's going back a ways!

Linky no workie
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:06:42 PM »
Bright = bad
Warm = Warm

Warm is kind of fuzzy and Bright is painful

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 11:14:42 PM »
Well when I use the term 'warm' the only thing to me that it means is when a sound sample tends towards a bassy sound.  To me, warm bass can be dirty or it can be clean...although in a sorta holistic sense, they might both sound similar to each other if...say...you aren't listening through headphones or good speakers.  The cleaner the sound of the bass, in general I find the more detail I hear in a recording and that generally holds true for the mids and highs as well, although of course not always.  Personally, detail is the most important thing to me when I listen to recordings.  Because of all these factors (and just that I like bass), I tend to place my listening and evaluation focus on bass notes as a leading indicator of how well I'm gonna like the overall sound of a sample.   

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 11:16:22 PM »
Bright = bad
Warm = Warm

...to you...and I generally agree, but my wife is just the opposite, she'll take a bright icky sounding recording over a bassy one 100% of the time.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 11:42:11 PM »
Bright = bad
Warm = Warm

...to you...and I generally agree, but my wife is just the opposite, she'll take a bright icky sounding recording over a bassy one 100% of the time.

So your saying that you don't tape for your wife anymore (well, this month at any rate).  :P

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 11:49:21 PM »
Bright = bad
Warm = Warm

So your saying that you don't tape for your wife anymore (well, this month at any rate).  :P

OMG.  My wife stopped pretending to like the music that I like shortly after we got married (18 years ago) and she stopped coming with out with me to clubs maybe a year after that.  I think the only thing I've taped at her request was our church talent show last year, and unfortunately, our church doesn't have much talent, but the people are very nice anyway.

PS:  She basically stopped coming at my request, because she doesn't 'fake' not having a good time very well...in fact if she's not have a good time she lets me know about it within 5 minutes.  So I basically asked her to stop coming (politely) because she was a freakin' drag to go out and listen to music with.  Since then we've come to terms with the fact that music just isn't one of the things that we do together.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:52:33 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 11:56:56 PM »
Bright = bad
Warm = Warm

OMG.  My wife stopped pretending to like the music that I like shortly after we got married (18 years ago) and she stopped coming with out with me to clubs maybe a year after that.  I think the only thing I've taped at her request was our church talent show last year, and unfortunately, our church doesn't have much talent, but the people are very nice anyway.

PS:  She basically stopped coming at my request, because she doesn't 'fake' not having a good time very well...in fact if she's not have a good time she lets me know about it within 5 minutes.  So I basically asked her to stop coming (politely) because she was a freakin' drag to go out and listen to music with.  Since then we've come to terms with the fact that music just isn't one of the things that we do together.

:lol:

Ditto. Mine doesn't fake it well either, so she only shows up to stuff she's interested in. (last night's Grace Potter being one rare appearance --> archive.org).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com