Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamping vs. Stands  (Read 6889 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Clamping vs. Stands
« on: May 20, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »
Saw this on a lesser thread and got me wondering...

As a new comer, I am curious how everyone feels about sharing stands/clamp space as opposed to everyone bringing their own gear.  Clearly some sort contact between tapers prior to a show would be best, but if going to a show knowing someone else will be there, what should be the general attitude towards assuming one could just clamp and take up less room than bringing their own stand.

Also curious about etiquette in types of situations when clearly there will be other tapers (ie big names) so maybe clamping to someone might be less hassle than crowding the section.

Not sure if this attitude changes feelings, but keep in mind too, that as a new comer to the hobby I don't have thousands invested in this yet, and while I treasure and love my gear and recordings, it is still a very amateur operation, so running a rig is awesome, but I'm not yet getting the thrill of flying some Shoeps or anything.

(btw, heres the thread that sparked this query: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=135302.0)   

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
Re: Clamping vs. Stands
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:08:14 PM »
so maybe clamping to someone might be less hassle than crowding the section.

I clamp my mics to the performer's beard whenever possible.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »
so maybe clamping to someone might be less hassle than crowding the section.

I clamp my mics to the performer's beard whenever possible.

I see you're a fan of Charlie Parr.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=106052.0   (see last sentence of first paragraph, first post)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:55:56 PM »
If I think I'm the only one, I bring the stand that is necessary for the job.

If I think I might be the only one, or just one other, I tend to bring my FOB stand of the two, got burned once by not bringing it and had to handhold for the opener.

If I know there will be at least one or two others and one of those brings a stand almost every time, then I don't bring mine or leave it in the car.

In short, I am more likely to clamp since it's easier for me. Second, since I live within walking distance of most of what I do, I *could* run back and grab it if I had to (especially if there is some sort of re-entry policy). If I have to drive, I always pack one, but I don't always bring it with me up to the venue line. ymmv.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:06:35 PM »
I don't really go to shows that other tapers are generally at, but I think either way, the rule of the road is bring the tools for the job, i.e., both if you can.  A clamp shouldn't add too much extra space in your bag.

One alternative that is also nice, depending what venues you go to, is to get a clamp with an extension bar like the Manfrotto 099B.  I use that frequently, along with the shorter extension bar.  That setup has huge advantages when the venue setup works - with a 7' pole running off of a balcony rail or whatever that is already several feet high, you can get over 10' of height, not have any crap on the ground to get knocked around, and if there happens to be a ton of people with stands (again, something that doesn't happen to me but apparently does happen to you), I could just as easily clamp it somewhere else.

Also less bulky to carry, too.  You can't use that 100% of the time, but I find that at the venues I go to, I can get away with that 90% of the time.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »
If I think I'm the only one, I bring the stand that is necessary for the job.

If I think I might be the only one, or just one other, I tend to bring my FOB stand of the two, got burned once by not bringing it and had to handhold for the opener.

If I know there will be at least one or two others and one of those brings a stand almost every time, then I don't bring mine or leave it in the car.

In short, I am more likely to clamp since it's easier for me. Second, since I live within walking distance of most of what I do, I *could* run back and grab it if I had to (especially if there is some sort of re-entry policy). If I have to drive, I always pack one, but I don't always bring it with me up to the venue line. ymmv.

That's exactly how I handle it, except I'm not walking distance, so I generally at least have a stand in the car.  I almost always clamp though, or have friends clamped onto my stand.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:34:11 PM »
I always bring a stand, in the case of phish I bring a 13' manfrotto 004B and always allow clampers.
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline MarkE

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
I always bring a stand, in the case of phish I bring a 13' manfrotto 004B and always allow clampers.

Good, this way I can clamp on with you at Steepwater tomorrow.  ;D
See ya tomorrow,
MarkE
open: Dpa 4022 > Naiant Midbox> Edirol R-09hr or iRiver H120
Stealth : Sonic Studios DSM-6S > Custom Battery Box> Edirol R-09hr
Stealth : Nevaton MCE400 > Naiant Tinybox > Edirol R-09hr

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »
Given that I'm one of those guys that won't enjoy the show as much if I'm not recording (it's a disease, I know) I always bring my stand on the off chance that there's nobody there to clamp onto.  Having said that, I never have a problem if someone wants to clamp onto my stand.  There's only one taper that I know of that won't let others clamp onto him, but I'm not gonna say who that is, although some guys that I saw Phish with last November probably know who I'm talking about.

EDIT TO ADD:  Don't feel shy about asking for clamp space simply because someone else might be running more expensive gear than you.  a) chances are almost 100% that they started off cheaper too, and b) if they say no to you, it has nothing to do with their gear and everything to do with their personality.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:57:12 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline setboy

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »
i am almost always the only taper at shows and if i am not the only one I am the one that shows up first  a lot of the time and don't want to wait to see if someone else shows up (since they almost never do). So i don't clamp very much at all

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 04:27:59 PM »
I don't have a problem bringing a stand and leaving it folded up under my seat.  What if EVERYBODY assumed SOMEBODY would bring a stand and no one did?  And I always have a clamp in my bag.

I think it matters a little what you are running too.  When have an LSD2 or ADK-TLs which are pretty freakin' heavy, I tend to put up my own stand and invite others to clamp onto mine.

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 08:01:23 PM »
I never have a problem with people clamping to my stand, unless they have inferior microphones, in which case I tell them to clamp somewhere else so they don't pollute my recording.  Every microphone ever made is inferior to Microtech Gefells so my mics are almost always the only set on my stand.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 08:14:06 PM »

Good, this way I can clamp on with you at Steepwater tomorrow.  ;D
See ya tomorrow,
MarkE

Consider your clampspace reserved! ;D  I'm really geared up for the show tomorrow, I know Joe is too, this is gonna be a blast!

Off to Elgin to tape tonight...
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »
I never have a problem with people clamping to my stand, unless they have inferior microphones, in which case I tell them to clamp somewhere else so they don't pollute my recording.  Every microphone ever made is inferior to Microtech Gefells so my mics are almost always the only set on my stand.
:laugh:
I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 09:52:04 PM »

That's what I'm talking about.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.185 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com