Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Green light  (Read 1675 times)

Offline adam10586

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Green light
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:54:10 AM »
Hello all,

Very nice community here I must say. I am terribly new to taping, but not gear related forums. Like a good member, I have used the search functions and read my eyes dry on this new interest of mine. Most of my questions have been answered, but some direction still remains for me. I want to learn this art and become fluent in it. I am a musician. I have owned a zoom h2 for around two years and done plenty of recording with it. However, I have also collected recordings of the concerts I attend, from various tapers. One band more so than others. So developed in me the interest to seek the endeavor of recording this band on two different occasions. Stealth of course. I packed my Zoom and I really am happy with my recordings, but when I study the gear choices of other tapers I see something to be desired. I can hear something more aggressive in their recordings. A certain level of depth I have yet to obtain. Now I know all to well how bad we can get with our gear and that level of obsession. I do not wish to tie down a grand in stealth recording. I'll leave that money to guitars. Although, I do want to learn all I can to make better recordings within the boundaries I have set. I am still researching the right mics. They should be sleek enough to pass off as headphones. My main concern now is finding the right recorder where an external preamp would not be required, and of course the power issue. So far the sony pcm-m10 is the best I can find in that category. So far this setup right here is what I am the happiest with sonically: dpa4061s > MMA6000 w/low cut @ 100hz > Microtrack 24/96(24 Bit Wav@48Khz)

Now I know the draw backs of the microtrack and would gladly replace with the sony. I just do not know how the m-10's preamp stacks up against that MMA6000. Is it really that worth while to try to stealth an extra piece of metal past those wands? I know I have written a long post here guys but bare with me. I really want take in as much knowledge from this amazing community as I can get. If anyone has advice or even time to post links to some good info for me, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

-Adam
Does this path have a heart?

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: Green light
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:13:26 PM »
Welcome!  Almost any external mic will be a big improvement over the H2 internals.

One thing you may have read about... all these small stealth mics are electret condenser types, and require a power source. Most small recorders provide about 3v of "plug in power" and will power the mics. But using a preamp or battery box delivers 9v. Most small mics will tolerate louder music without distorting with the larger voltage, so most people use a battery box or preamp. Now what I just said is a good generalization, but exceptions to the rule abound. If you want mics which can record amplified rock music using only the recorder's plug-in-power, you should choose your mics carefully.

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com