Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Downsizing... need advice.  (Read 4603 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Downsizing... need advice.
« on: August 06, 2005, 04:42:22 PM »
So now that I'm selling my AKG 463s and VRbox and JB3, I've decided rather than getting completely out of taping, I want to downsize. I already own a laptop so I can use it for taping.. I was thinking of picking up an M-Audio Firewire 410 for $250 and buying a pair of AKG 391s for hopefully $300-400. My rig would then look like:

AKG c391b's > Canare Starquads > M-Audio Firewire 410 > firewire > Presario R4125CA > Wavelab5

Does this look like a decent rig? I've heard good things about the firewire 410. I'm not too concerned about it's lack of meters since I can just look on my laptop screen at the detailed meters in the recording software. The only thing I'm worried about is powering this in the field. I would generally have access to AC power at most indoor bar shows, but summer festivals are another story.

In any case, do you guys think this is a good move?

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Downsizing... need advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 06:34:14 PM »
So now that I'm selling my AKG 463s and VRbox and JB3, I've decided rather than getting completely out of taping, I want to downsize. I already own a laptop so I can use it for taping.. I was thinking of picking up an M-Audio Firewire 410 for $250 and buying a pair of AKG 391s for hopefully $300-400. My rig would then look like:

AKG c391b's > Canare Starquads > M-Audio Firewire 410 > firewire > Presario R4125CA > Wavelab5

Does this look like a decent rig? I've heard good things about the firewire 410. I'm not too concerned about it's lack of meters since I can just look on my laptop screen at the detailed meters in the recording software. The only thing I'm worried about is powering this in the field. I would generally have access to AC power at most indoor bar shows, but summer festivals are another story.

I don't think you'll be saving that much money if you get some 391's and a firewire box.  If you take that route, you should have just kept the 480's, VR box, and the JB3.

But that's just me. 
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 06:38:15 PM »

I don't think you'll be saving that much money if you get some 391's and a firewire box.  If you take that route, you should have just kept the 480's, VR box, and the JB3.

But that's just me. 

Actually I am saving money.

Here's what I'm selling:

463s $750
JB3 $200
VRbox $95
-----------------
Total $1055

Here's what I'm buying:

391s approx $400
Firewire 410 $250
------------------------
Total $650

So I'll still have $405 extra afterwards. That makes it worthwhile for me at this point.

The other option would be to keep the 463s, and sell the jb3 and vrbox to get enough to buy the Firewire 410.

The reason I'm looking into this is cuz I'd like to try 24/96 recording and cuz my UA-5 shit the bed and died on me... it's somewhat beyond repair barring a miracle or a very skilled technician.

As far as I've heard the Firewire is a more solid unit.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 06:45:27 PM »
Well I guess you're right about gaining money; i didn't know that your UA-5 crapped out on you, what happened?

Head on over to the Ebay sales forum.  They got a pile of 391's on ebay:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=47469.0;topicseen
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 06:50:15 PM »
My digimod wasn't done properly originally so I tried to fix it and ended up making a huge mess of things... I wasn't too pleased but as it was, I wasn't a huge fan of the ua-5 to begin with..

and yeah, i've checked out those 391s on ebay... already emailed the guy.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 06:51:56 PM »
My digimod wasn't done properly originally so I tried to fix it and ended up making a huge mess of things... I wasn't too pleased but as it was, I wasn't a huge fan of the ua-5 to begin with..

weird.  my Ua-5 is a tank.  i don't think there is a way to break those things (knock on wood!!!).

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 06:59:08 PM »
I always found the ua-5 to feel really cheap and flimsy. I like the look of the fw 410, except for the missing level meters... though the ua-5 is in the same situation. For laptop it's no biggie cuz I can use the nice meters in software.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 07:52:10 PM »

Dear Andrew (is the your name)?

Anyway, I would keep the 460's and just get a laptop recording rig.  No point in downgrading to the 390 series... I saw Edirol UA25 for about $250CAD in Long and McQuade music I think.  It is not standalone, but it is small and it has a built in limiter which is cool.  Does the FW410 have more than two channels?  If you're going to be laptop recording I would suggest this so can run soundboard as well as mics (or two sets of mics).  One nice choice here is Presonus Firebox, which is about $450CAD.

By the way, if you're interested I could take a look at UA5 for you.  I'm not promising anything, but I might be able to clean up your digimod.  I am not looking to make money on this, but I might be able to help you out.   Seems a shame to drop this box.  Leegeddy (marc) is a good bet to fix this if you want more professional service.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 07:59:19 PM »
Hey, I was thinking about keeping the 460s, but I am looking into a trade now of my 463s for some 300 bodies with ck91 and ck93 caps plus some cash. I've heard many comparisons done between 460 and 300 series and for me right now, the 300 series will do quite nicely!

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 09:11:25 PM »
good to see your not getting out of the game ;) 8)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 09:19:22 PM »
I always found the ua-5 to feel really cheap and flimsy. I like the look of the fw 410, except for the missing level meters... though the ua-5 is in the same situation. For laptop it's no biggie cuz I can use the nice meters in software.

I owned a UA5 for a couple of months, never even actually used it (slut - I know), but I felt the same way. Seemed almost like a toy. I was concerned when I bought the R4 that it'd be a similar design. Luckily it's not, I think Edirol products have gotten considerably better built over time...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 09:27:20 PM »
Hey, your dog is cheering for a good team there, go habs!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 09:40:47 PM »
keep the 460's and sell everything else you dont need!

better mics= better tapes IMO
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 09:42:16 PM »
Yeah, I see your point however I have done some critical listening and I feel that a trade which still gives me AKG quality and with two sets of caps plus some extra cash in my pocket is a good trade for sure.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 02:43:49 AM »
Yeah, I see your point however I have done some critical listening and I feel that a trade which still gives me AKG quality and with two sets of caps plus some extra cash in my pocket is a good trade for sure.

Hey Andrew,

Well, even if your downgrading (or sidegrading), you're still a gear slut!  Being in contact with the most gear in the shortest time.  Have fun whatever you do...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 07:59:44 AM »
YES! I've finally reached the level of GEAR SLUT! hahaha.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com