Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MZ-N10 + OKM II Pop settings?  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Adamn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
MZ-N10 + OKM II Pop settings?
« on: March 08, 2007, 02:08:08 PM »
Hi everybody!
Would be cool if somebody could help me.

I'm going to tape an indoor rock-concert in a small/middle venue with a max. capacity of 4.200 people.

My equipmnet: Sony MD MZ-N10 (has LineIn and MicIn)
Mic: OKM II Pop (rock version was no longer available), detailed specs here: http://www.nnyman.com/soundman/index.php
Adapter: A3

Which settings would you recommend when recording in the middle of the hall infront of the soundboard (I don't want to miss the bass with no distortion)?

Thank you very much!
Adamn
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 02:58:42 PM by Adamn »

Offline imazephed

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • No time left now for shame
Re: MZ-N10 + OKM II Pop settings?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 10:09:11 PM »
Adamn

I am not familiar with the mz n10 but I own a mz rh10 and I can tell you that you should make sure to set the MIC SENS LOW this is a must. I learned this the hard way. If your unit has a MIC SENS make sure to set it to Low. If you dont you will have a very distorted pull. Other than that you want to make sure you are recording using manual levels so you can adjust them and wav. mode if your recording 16/44.1. I would go mic in I have made a few pulls with line in but I always had to increase the levels in post. I never use anything but wav you get 94.5min's on one hi md in wav then it takes about 35 seconds to wright the data to the disc then another 20 seconds to swap and start recording so it usually is less than a min to change the disc. To me I would rather lose a min of a show than to lose sound quality by using the sp or esp feature on hi md decks. I really enjoy recording shows on my hi md deck. I have pulled some great recordings with it. Good luck and remember MIC SENS LOW, MANUAL LEVELS, FOR LOUD MUSIC, AGC OFF. That is the check list I have in my head for the MZ RH10 for loud rock shows.

Peace
Jason
Schoeps mk4,mk41>kc5>cmc6>van den Hul Mic>Oade ACM V3>722 
csb>mzrh10

"WINNING"

Offline Adamn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 01:34:05 AM »
Adamn

I am not familiar with the mz n10 but I own a mz rh10 and I can tell you that you should make sure to set the MIC SENS LOW this is a must. I learned this the hard way. If your unit has a MIC SENS make sure to set it to Low. If you dont you will have a very distorted pull. Other than that you want to make sure you are recording using manual levels so you can adjust them and wav. mode if your recording 16/44.1. I would go mic in I have made a few pulls with line in but I always had to increase the levels in post. I never use anything but wav you get 94.5min's on one hi md in wav then it takes about 35 seconds to wright the data to the disc then another 20 seconds to swap and start recording so it usually is less than a min to change the disc. To me I would rather lose a min of a show than to lose sound quality by using the sp or esp feature on hi md decks. I really enjoy recording shows on my hi md deck. I have pulled some great recordings with it. Good luck and remember MIC SENS LOW, MANUAL LEVELS, FOR LOUD MUSIC, AGC OFF. That is the check list I have in my head for the MZ RH10 for loud rock shows.

Peace
Jason

Hi Jason!
Thank you very much for your help! But what about the OKM II PoP mic with the A3 Adapter? Which settings do I have to make for the A3 adapter? It is specially designed for using the line-in slot. I think you can get a better sound range.

Here you can see the A3 adapter:

From their homepage:
The OKM condenser microphones need DC powering. This can be sourced either through a microphone jack present on recording devices or through the enclosed A3 Adapter. The A3 will yield the best results when used on LINE inputs. With its automatic level adaptation, high microphone supply voltage and considerably low noise floor, the A3 offers a significantly greater increase in dynamic range when compared to the conventional direct connection to a microphone jack. When recording faint sounds, the OKM can be used on microphone inputs in conjunction with the A3. However, as a result of the smaller surface area of the microphone membrane, system inherent noise is a possibility. As such, care should be taken to avoid preamp clipping that may occur when the recording level control is set too low.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 01:38:47 AM by Adamn »

Offline imazephed

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • No time left now for shame
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 10:32:10 AM »
Adamn

It looks like a standard battery box for the most part. If your going to run line in I would run the bass roll off and the 20db gain on.

bass roll off on
20db gain

Jason
Schoeps mk4,mk41>kc5>cmc6>van den Hul Mic>Oade ACM V3>722 
csb>mzrh10

"WINNING"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com