Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tascam dr-100 Mkii lithium battery replacement  (Read 6242 times)

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
tascam dr-100 Mkii lithium battery replacement
« on: April 24, 2015, 11:34:35 PM »
Anyone know where the best bet of getting a replacement battery in a town like new orleans?
Usb to external battery doesn't work with out the internal lithium battery, which is sitting at the house hopefully.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:28:39 AM by JimmieC »
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

df

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: tascam Mkii 100 lithium battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 12:03:08 AM »
Anyone know where the best bet of getting a replacement battery in a town like new orleans?
Usb to external battery doesn't work with out the internal lithium battery, which is sitting at the house hopefully.

Might be able to find one in the camera section at a store that sells cameras.

Offline picklemic

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 01:46:08 AM »

Might be able to find one in the camera section at a store that sells cameras.

This makes me laugh. I used to comb through those stores bitd looking for DAT machines on any off time I could find. I think I got a D-8 and a D-100 on different years for like 300 when you couldn't find them for less than $500.
AKG 522 c the pickle,v2,v3,R 44

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 02:50:35 AM »
Sorry.  I guess my biggest question is are the batteries pretty universal and easy to find?  Not sure if anyone has had to replace one before.   It is either find one here or run home and get mine. Alkaline AA battery in this unit sucks.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:40:31 PM by JimmieC »
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 03:26:45 AM »
Now that I'm on my laptop, I think I found the battery.  Looks like I need a BPL2.  Now if only I could just have Amazon deliver it for tomorrow morning.
OH Grown

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 11:52:36 AM »
No luck finding one in a store, just online.
OH Grown

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 11:24:53 AM »
Sorry.  I guess my biggest question is are the batteries pretty universal and easy to find?  Not sure if anyone has had to replace one before.   It is either find one here or run home and get mine. Alkaline AA battery in this unit sucks.

use energizer ultimate lithiums.  they work great.

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 08:44:43 AM »
use energizer ultimate lithiums.  they work great.
Daspyknows, yep.  I got some for Saturday and got much longer run times than the Alkaline batteries when testing.  Didn't get to run Saturday night so didn't get to actually use them in the field.  It has been awhile since I had to use AA batteries and never used the lithium ones before.  Technology has made them much nicer.  When I got home, I found my internal lithium battery and put it into the deck.  Never going to remove it again.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:49:30 AM by JimmieC »
OH Grown

stevetoney

Re: tascam dr-100 Mkii lithium battery replacement
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 02:32:18 PM »
JimmieC and others...for what it's worth.  Way back when the DR100MKii first came out there were a few of us that ran across this issue of short run time off alkalines, but it was only when trying to power mics with phantom.  As you've discovered the runtimes are much longer from batteries with zinc and lithium chemistries. 

What we figured out is that the alkalines discharge at a slightly lower voltage than the lithiums or zinc rechargeables (at least along the flat part of the voltage discharge curve).  Apparently, when the unit is pulling max power when phantom power is on, the draw is enough that it pulls the voltage down on the alkalines low enough that they reach the low voltage cut out on the deck within a short time...it's only like 30 or 40 minutes even with new alkaline batteries.  The batteries aren't necessarily dead, but they will no longer power the DR100MKii.  If you power the deck from the internal li-ion, this doesn't happen until after the li-ion goes dead and power switches over to the AAs.

With zinc and lithium chemistry AA batteries, the flat part of the voltage curve is a little bit higher.  Since the cut out voltage is still the same, it's apparently just low enough that it stays below the flat part of the curve on those types of batteries so that you get much better runtimes before reaching the low voltage cut out.

We gave this feedback to Tascam way back on Day One and asked them if they could look into a firmware change of the low voltage cut out point, but Tascam customer service being what it is, the request was never responded to and this issue was never addressed.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 04:29:02 PM »
Issues I've had with Zinc AA rechargeables: because of inconsistent batteries one will lose charge sooner and become permanently damaged.

Issues with Lithium AA's: it is hard to tell when they are ready to die. They are, in my opinion, the best AA solution right now, but get to know what your expected run times are, and change them well before that. You don't want to be surprised mid-set when these lose power!
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »
Did you check with Pro Sound in NOLA?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

df

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 09:20:57 PM »
I've used the DR-100 and mk2 and the mk2 is a much better product.  Tascam improved the mic's, preamps, added mic/line switch and TRS/XLR combo jacks, spdif input, and the battery life is much better both with the internal and AA's.  Also, the first version had tons of file save issues... the mk2 will save files after the batteries are done.  MUCH better product, but yeah the battery life is significantly better.

$50 for the battery is steep.  I'm using the one that came with the first DR-100 as well.  The battery is worth more than the beat up recorder.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/826148-REG/Tascam_BP_6AA_BP_6AA_External_Battery_Pack.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:26:05 PM by df »

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 11:38:30 PM »
Thanks Tonedef.  The alkiline run times were very odd since I was only recording with the mk2 (no phatom power).  I was running an external preamp. 

Cobiwon, Pro Sound was not open Saturday so not sure if they have the BPL2 in store.

I was trying not to carry to much equipment and didn't have much time to prepare.  However, the next trip I will be taking both decks and some spares.  Should have just ran the DR680.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:58:43 PM by JimmieC »
OH Grown

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.234 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com