Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In Ear Microphones and hearing Protection?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline DYMS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
In Ear Microphones and hearing Protection?
« on: July 26, 2018, 12:58:43 AM »
Hello,
I just got a Tascam TR-100MKiii and am looking for a stealthy recording set up.
As most of the shows I go to are very small (30-50 people in a small living room sized space) I am interested in the in-ear mics as they look like they could easily be passed off as headphones, and hopefully wouldn't cause suspicion. There would be no way to hide open mics in this small show environment.

However, these small shows often have very loud PA, and I always wear ear-plugs to protect my hearing. I am wondering if some of the in-ear options like the Roland CS10EM or the Sound Professional MS-TFB-2 offer any kind of hearing protection while worn? With the CS10EM, they offer the ability to monitor as well. Wouldn't that cause problems in the recording?

Would appreciate any feedback from those of you that have used these types of setups.

Thanks

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: In Ear Microphones and hearing Protection?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »
Hi DYMS,

I dont know Roland and Sound Profesional mics. I think it's unnecessary to combine mics with headphones. There are mics that are very small and you can wear them inconspicuously. The quality of microphones is the most important in your rig. It is better to start with some solid mics. Later, if you will like this hobby, you can sell it and buy better and more expensive gear. A lot of people included me started with Chris Church mics CA11, CA14 or Audio Technica AT853, AT933. These are electret mics, they need power 9V. So you have to buy the battery box too. Lavalier AT mics need to power via phantom adapters. You can power them by the battery box too, but you need to modify them. I think the best is to look here in the Yard Sell. The seller will give you right information what is needed.

Look at Live Music Archive too. You can get idea how the recordings made by specific microphones sound.

Little theory is important too. How the microphones setting - angle and spacing - influence the resulting sound and stereo image. Or how the microphones's directional characteristics affect recording . You can find a lot of information here on the forum.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:21:49 PM by kuba e »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com