Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: zoom h2  (Read 143605 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: zoom h2
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2007, 08:48:42 AM »
Guy, on the new Zoom site there's a link to the frequency response chart which you have to click to get it visible in a popup window.

The -10dB figure for line in is normal for non pro gear (which is +4dB) and is to be expected.

OK! Found the internal MIC frequency plot.  Seems -3 dB 160 cycles-to-16,000 cycles and nearly 10 dB down at 80 cycles.  VERY good for voice recording on a busy traffic street.  However, seems a bit too thin for acoustic music, but the bass rolloff might be just the ticket for very heavy bass rock if mics can stand up to the SPL loudness of a live venue without overloading?
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline skiphunt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2007, 10:36:48 PM »
Anyone know of a reasonably intuitive Mac OSX app that will let me play with these 4Channel stereo pairs the H2 creates? And make a 5.1 mix?

When BeOS was getting attention.. I remember seeing one of their Audio 3D 5.1 surround apps that seemed VERY intuitive. Anyone know what that app was called?  if that ever got ported over to OSX? And if something like that would work with the 4channel stereo pairs the H2 creates?

Anyone tried yet?

Offline skiphunt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2007, 12:55:34 AM »
Here's a couple quick voice tests I did between the H2 onboard FRONT mics at 90deg and a Sennheiser ME66 MONO mix. Both recorded at 96khz 24bit... and coverted to mp3 320kbps for web delivery.

http://www.poppinfreshmedia.com/h2test.html

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2007, 08:34:30 AM »
Reaper (www.reaper.fm) is in the process of being ported to the Mac.  Look in their forum for the sticky thread where you can download the 2Mb installer "beta" version.  A Mac friend tells me it's quite usable already, certainly for simple H2 remixes.  And it's currently free.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2007, 12:05:55 PM »
Here's a link to a series of posts that describe how
to build an external battery for the H2 from a 9.6V
RC car battery pack.  Total cost about $35.
http://tinyurl.com/2r8ols

The posts talk about the H4, but the H2 needs the
same 9V DC input, and uses the same polarity
input as the H4. 

I think the H2 will run without the AA batteries
installed if you use external power.

Flintstone

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2007, 04:14:13 PM »
Here's a take on the H2 from a minidisc forum:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=19765

the bottom line:

"Hey oz , I am an Audio engineer ok , Full Scale ,Schooled In it Live it Eat It Breathe it ........ you not taking my points seriously enough ,

The preamp for the EXT Mic input ,, how can I say this nicely ...... SUCKS !!!!!!!!!! I know how to test any given piece of equipment on any given Day .
YOU WILL BE DISSAPPOINTED BIG TIME , if you use external mics of ANY kind ."

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 04:19:31 PM by WiFiJeff »

Offline skiphunt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2007, 05:03:49 PM »
Here's a take on the H2 from a minidisc forum:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=19765

the bottom line:

"Hey oz , I am an Audio engineer ok , Full Scale ,Schooled In it Live it Eat It Breathe it ........ you not taking my points seriously enough ,

The preamp for the EXT Mic input ,, how can I say this nicely ...... SUCKS !!!!!!!!!! I know how to test any given piece of equipment on any given Day .
YOU WILL BE DISSAPPOINTED BIG TIME , if you use external mics of ANY kind ."

Yeah, that guy doesn't seem to think anything is worthy unless it's his lil' Sony RH1. I did some quick tests that I put links to above.. with the internal mics AND a Sennheiser ME66. I wasn't "disappointed big time". I'm going to try and do some more sample clips at a friend's studio later this week. Maybe this guy who claimes to be an Audio Engineer.. got a bad one? I just don't get it... he's been railing on this H2 for a couple days now. But, his tests don't seem acurate.. don't use the best settings on the H2.. AND,  seem skewed to favor his lil' precious Sony RH1.

The H2 isn't the holy grail of portable recording by any stretch... but for $200, it does a great job in my opinion. Much better than I'd expected.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2007, 05:18:24 PM »
The Sony RH1 does have amazing sound, I understand the guys point...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline skiphunt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »
The Sony RH1 does have amazing sound, I understand the guys point...

Well the guy did one test between the RH1 and the H2 using the same mic. His stated settings didn't seem right and I told him with MY mic and the same settings.. it'd have all kinds of headroom and that it wouldn't sound anywhere near as weak as his samples. He also didn't record in 96khz/24bit with the H2 (makes a big difference) when I questioned his testing.. he went berserk... grabbed up his marbles and went home. And it appears his samples are no longer there. Kinda suspicious... or maybe he realized his testing was flawed and is redoing it. Who knows.

All I know is that the preamps in the H2 probably won't compare with unit's costing MUCH more. But, if you want something that CAN take external mics and produce reasonable results.. has 4mics builtin and is one small package without having to carry along additional mics, preamps, etc. And if you want to use standard batteries and standard media.. and if you want an AGC, Limiter, and Compressor... and if you want to have all you need to record in a 90deg pattern OR a 120deg pattern OR a combination of the two OR a 4channel recording that can be remixed to 5.1... and have ALL that fit in your pocket or camera bag...then for $200, the H2 is a bargain.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:36:04 PM by skiphunt »

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2007, 05:46:32 PM »
That guy might have been a total dick and yeah, the H2 does sound like a bargin.  Likely a really nice device at this price point.

That being said,  I bet a pair of electrets (be it 853's, or whatever) plugged into the RH1 would smoke anything the H2 could record in 5.1 @ 24/96.  The RH1's analog stage is that good.  the adc is no joke either.....   It is nice having the headroom of 24/96, but I doubt the analog circuit, or mics on the H2 are worthy of such definition....

Offline skiphunt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2007, 06:06:23 PM »
That guy might have been a total dick and yeah, the H2 does sound like a bargin.  Likely a really nice device at this price point.

That being said,  I bet a pair of electrets (be it 853's, or whatever) plugged into the RH1 would smoke anything the H2 could record in 5.1 @ 24/96.  The RH1's analog stage is that good.  the adc is no joke either.....   It is nice having the headroom of 24/96, but I doubt the analog circuit, or mics on the H2 are worthy of such definition....

Perhaps. I'm no audio engineer. Just a photographer wanting something that's decent, will fit in a small pocket of my camera bag, and will handle a wide variety of recording situations. For higher-end stuff, and if you don't mind carrying extra gear... the H2 might not suffice. For me... it does in spades.

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2007, 06:12:15 PM »
makes perfect sense skiphunt.  T+

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2007, 07:21:43 PM »

I'm anxious to hear about the preamp (sound quality, self-noise, headroom) on this thing.  I don't expect low noise -- I think MD easily wins there -- but if it sounds "clean" like the R09, then it could be a keeper.  I like the R09 better than MD for moderate to loud sources.

And I'm thinking of hacking the H2.  Imagine replacing the builtin mics with a set of AT853, Church cardioids, or even Sennheiser MKE2.  That would be killer.  You could even put a pair of cardioids and a pair of omnis in the same box.  The possibilities are endless.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline goatfarmer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2007, 09:33:17 PM »
Earlier I read the thread from http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=19765 and was mentally exhausted afterward.  :P

Let's face it, the H2 is not a high end recorder but a nifty little gadget that has much to offer for its price point. Skiphunt has stated it over and over again...it's fine for his needs and will be fine for many other folks. I bought one and think it's pretty cool. I also bought an iriver H120 4 years ago and loved recording with it using the stock firmware and a cheap Sony electret mic. I continue to use it today, with the far superior rockbox interface, a digimod UA5 and some cardioid mics.

If someone wants to record with a $25 microcasette recorder and enjoys the hell out of themselves doing it, let 'em.
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline skiphunt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2007, 11:15:24 PM »
This guy Guitarfx stated that his intial recording with his prized mic is "the best you would ever get from the H2.." this simply isn't true. He didn't record a 96/24bit and still refuses to for some reason. He also didn't use a line matching transformer, etc. For external sources, you CAN get decent results.

He also states that "if you record with ANY external mic.... you WILL be disappointed..." Again, this is simply not true. I did sample clips with an ME66 that are not "disappointing" in the slightest. With better placement, better mic,  and level adjustment.. it'd be even better.

Look, I never wanted to argue with this guy. I merely posted questions regarding his methods and conclusions. Instead of simply answering me... he launched into insults, claims of how knowledgable he is... how great he is to have guessed a couple specs... how great a guitar player he believes he is... etc.

It was like trying to have an adult conversation with Cartman from Southpark. (in the voice of Cartman) "I'm a studio rat... I live, eat, and breath it.. how dare you question my supreme self?.... YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORA-TAHHHH!!!!"

Then he gets his panties in a bunch and trys to get the thread locked... when the moderators don't... he gets upset and then removes is samples and stomps away all hurt. Is this guy an adult? Why not just stick to the facts and if he's a "teacher".. answer legitimate questions instead of puffing himself all up and resorting to insults? Geez.. he claims to have students... glad I'm not one of them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com