Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: zoom h2  (Read 142894 times)

Offline nslhrn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: zoom h2
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2007, 12:21:47 AM »
So here is a question for the musicians and die hard quality audio lovers.
If you use some sort of external battery powered preamp (Sound professionals,Coresound) created specially for mini-jack microphones, will the SPL, distortion and sound quality compaints cease?

I did this with y m iRiver ihp120 and it helped some. If hte H2 pres 'suck' why not by pass them. Is there a way to preamp an external mic (sound professionals binaurals/cardiods) to a line level ?

Thanks. I'm a newbie on the forum. A musician of 28 years and a taping freak. I'll record anything, just to listen back and love it. My iRiver ihp-120 went down and rather than restore the parts and then have to do that in two years again, I'm looking at the H2 with the transcend 8G SD card.

Here was a thorough sample
http://mefeedia.com/entry/3423836/

I just wish some one would do the same with live music.

Offline mfoley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2007, 04:04:02 AM »
This unit is going to fit very well in the event videography world...especially wedding videography.  Stick a good lav mic on it...set it for 96/24...place it in the groom's or officiant's pocket...and you got a very good/small vocal capture device.  In addition, I see the thing very useful for capturing and developing 5.1 surround ambiance at receptions...all this for a small price.

Yes...by all mean there are better recorders...but have you tried shoving a 744 in a pocket lately?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2007, 06:56:02 AM »
While there is NO question this is the smallest/lowest costing flash deck to appear, qualified (with stated input conditions/loading) bench testing would go a long way to know what's up with this deck.

Technical review like done on some previous decks (like those listed below) would answer a lot of questions on what the H2 is best at doing and what most appropriate MIC/LINE deck settings might be chosen. 

Short of retail purchasing and then returning in <10 days, anyone got a loaner for this purpose?  PM/email me if so inclined for at least posted credit in adding to the knowledge base here in a more solid way;  I'll handle the shipping both ways.

www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm
www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm
www.sonicstudios.com/zoomh4rv.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
This unit is going to fit very well in the event videography world...especially wedding videography.  Stick a good lav mic on it...set it for 96/24...place it in the groom's or officiant's pocket...and you got a very good/small vocal capture device.

Bride to groom - "Are you really pleased to see me, or is that just a Zoom H2 in your pocket?"

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2007, 10:04:44 AM »
So here is a question for the musicians and die hard quality audio lovers.
If you use some sort of external battery powered preamp (Sound professionals,Coresound) created specially for mini-jack microphones, will the SPL, distortion and sound quality compaints cease?

I did this with y m iRiver ihp120 and it helped some. If hte H2 pres 'suck' why not by pass them. Is there a way to preamp an external mic (sound professionals binaurals/cardiods) to a line level ?

Thanks. I'm a newbie on the forum. A musician of 28 years and a taping freak. I'll record anything, just to listen back and love it. My iRiver ihp-120 went down and rather than restore the parts and then have to do that in two years again, I'm looking at the H2 with the transcend 8G SD card.

Here was a thorough sample
http://mefeedia.com/entry/3423836/

I just wish some one would do the same with live music.

to answer your question, the h2 has a line in.  mics > preamp/batt.box > line in
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline tedzepplin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2007, 11:22:19 AM »
My H2 is due to arrive today. I'll make some sample recordings and post them. I'll record my band playing a show this weekend. I'll make a side by side comparison recording with my mini-disc recorder.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:33:19 AM by tedzepplin »

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2007, 11:45:27 AM »
This what we NEED to know... Can it be used to get decent quality  recording of a band with just the built in mics.. Look forward to someone doing this.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline skiphunt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2007, 12:05:09 PM »
This what we NEED to know... Can it be used to get decent quality  recording of a band with just the built in mics.. Look forward to someone doing this.

First of all... I'm no audio-pro, but I'm learning. ;-) I'm curious how you can quantify if a recording of a live band is "decent" or not? I was at a bar last night getting some wild sound and general ambience. In the other side of the bar was a band playing that was... well, IMHO... awful. And the PA sounded like it was a bargain-bin special from Radio Shack. So even if I'd tried to record them.. AND had got an acurate recording.. it still would have sounded like garbage, ie. garbage in, garbage out. So, should the live source in these test recording be qualified? Or, can you tell if the recording is good, even if the quality of the PA blows?

Offline tedzepplin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2007, 03:46:42 PM »

I'll have an answer this weekend. My band is playing both friday and saturday night. We are a loud ramones style punk band. I've gotten excellent recordings from my mini-disc recorder. We'll soon find out if the H2 records just as well with internal mics.
My H2 was delivered today.

So far it is very light and very much made of plastic. I'd be afraid to drop it on a hard floor. I don't think it would survive.

Offline goatfarmer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2007, 04:04:29 PM »
There's a fairly lengthy podcast review at http://mefeedia.com/entry/3423836/ if folks want to check it out. It's not a technical, audio review but one more of the fit, finish and basic functions of the recorder. Anyway, I think it's worth listening to.
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2007, 06:34:11 PM »
There's a fairly lengthy podcast review at http://mefeedia.com/entry/3423836/ if folks want to check it out. It's not a technical, audio review but one more of the fit, finish and basic functions of the recorder. Anyway, I think it's worth listening to.
Yeah, as already referred to earlier.  Actually it's recorded entirely on the H2 (apart from some H4 bits for comparison) and deals extensively with the sound quality with the built in mics under various circumstances, together with some external mic samples - so I'd say it was very much an audio review, and listening to it all the way through should give people a pretty good impression of the H2.  On the site I've pointed out a few possible small inaccuracies with the review, though.

Offline goatfarmer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2007, 07:56:33 PM »
Yeah, as already referred to earlier.

Whoops!! Sorry, missed that post.  ::)
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline tedzepplin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2007, 12:59:40 PM »
I've made a few test recordings on my Zoom H2 - just talking into the recorder - and it sounds pretty good so far. I found that you CAN adjust the record volume while it's recording. And it DOES have a hold funtion. pressing and holding the MENU button for 2 seconds puts the recorder into the HOLD mode to prevent accidentally stopping a recording. The manual says the power switch and the three-way mic gain switch can still be used during the  HOLD mode. So you still have to be careful to not bump those two switches. This weekend I'll make some live, bar band recordings.

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »
I'm curious how you can quantify if a recording of a live band is "decent" or not?

I guess by decent I'm wondering if the sound causes the recordings to brickwall and distort... Decent, as bar music goes is just a matter of taste. I hate half of my recordings.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline tedzepplin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2007, 05:22:59 PM »
I'm curious how you can quantify if a recording of a live band is "decent" or not?
Decent for me is a recording that sounds good enough to want to listen to it more than once. A recording that captures the low end of the bass, clear enough to hear the singing, some audience noise but not too much.  If the sound person makes a good mix at the show you should get a decent recording. with a bad mix - vocals too quiet, or guitars too loud or too quiet, it's out of your hands, but your recorder can still make a "decent" recording of the bad mix.

when I compare my old cassette recording with my mini-disc recordings the new recording are by far more "decent" better quality of recording. the cassettes tend to be less clear, less low end, less definition between instruments.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com